DVDVR Message Board

[TV] July Television Discussion

Rev Ray

I love that video. My old guitar teacher used to play with Black Flag every now and then. His band was on the same label as them or something like that in the early 80s and he said he used to play gigs with them occasionally as a fill-in.

Great, now I'm thinking "who was the SST Records band you're talking about". Saccharine Trust? Overkill? SWA? DC3?

EDIT: Also gotta give props to "TV Party" for being a moment of levity on an album that is seriously dark. Damaged, if you grew up with it, is pretty personal stuff. And let's not even get into My War. 

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Also gotta give props to "TV Party" for being a moment of levity on an album that is seriously dark.

Are you not listening.  Their t.v. is broken.  They're going to miss Fall Guy an Different Strokes.

• Like 2

I went to see which streamng service had the rights now  to Crime Story.

it used to be Hulu, but now its part of the Urban Movie Channel (if you have it, you can watch through Amazon Prime). 

I just don't get the logistics for this. Do they do it as a period piece? Because it wouldn't work in modern times. And the only way I could see it work as an episodic show is to do it like 24.

• Like 1

Burned through season one of Ballers over the last 2 days and i must say i really enjoyed it. I could easily pick out a dozen plotholes but that would take all the fun away. Thought it hit it's stride in eps 7-10 and am looking forward to s2.

• Like 1

A friend recommended Catastrophe to me and said I would get instantly hooked. He was 100% right. Over 3 days I watched Series 1 and 2. Series 2 ends on such a gut punch.

11 hours ago, Technico Support said:

In today's entry from the "unnecessary bullshit" department, The Warriors is being remade for Hulu.  Fuck this shit.

First people want to muck with Buckaroo Banzai, now this?

Spoiler

One guy in the movie had a gun. One guy, that was the crux of the problem. How you gonna do gang violence like that now? Cyrus gets shot with a rocket launcher?

• Like 1

I saw the end of HIMYM and I have no idea either, aside from Sarah Chalke being a regular on Scrubs and guesting as one of Ted's girlfriends on HIMYM.  But she was on the show years before the end (I wanna say season 3 or thereabouts).

On 7/4/2016 at 6:12 PM, odessasteps said:

I went to see which streamng service had the rights now  to Crime Story.

it used to be Hulu, but now its part of the Urban Movie Channel (if you have it, you can watch through Amazon Prime). 

0014381737929_p0_v2_s1200x630.jpg

Available from most on-line retailers for only $20!!!  And you don't have to be hooked up to the Internet to watch it!

The all-black version of "Uncle Buck" has been cancelled after one year.  

It was still funnier than the awful Kevin Meaney version.

I used to really like Suits but the premise wasn't designed to go this long.  Suits should have been a mini-series or had a short run - one or two seasons.  They've pushed the premise in directions it really couldn't go without losing the light, fun tone of the first season.  Last season or two has mostly been unpleasant bickering between unpleasant people and I've lost most of my sympathy for the characters.

I may not watch this season.  It's hard to imagine any plausible way out of the current status quo.  The firm really should be sued by every client Mike worked with and the partners should be disbarred, at a minimum.   Guessing that's not what happens (it would make for a depressing season) so I'm expecting something wacky and absurd to happen to hand wave away the consequences of last season.

I kinda expect the show to end with Mike either passing the bar or at least getting admitted into a reputable law school.  That will be really far-fetched if it happens.

16 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Crime Story really that worth the watch? I mean I know it's Michael Mann and all, but Wiseguy was supposed to be really good too and ended up boring the crap out of me. I may be spoiled by Sopranos/Wire/etc. 

i havent watched it since it was originally on, so i was curious about how it held up. 

On 7/3/2016 at 10:23 AM, Curt McGirt said:

Great, now I'm thinking "who was the SST Records band you're talking about". Saccharine Trust? Overkill? SWA? DC3?

EDIT: Also gotta give props to "TV Party" for being a moment of levity on an album that is seriously dark. Damaged, if you grew up with it, is pretty personal stuff. And let's not even get into My War. 

I can't remember. He might've been bullshitting for all I know. His name was John Keefer or Kiefer. He was from LA before he moved here to VA.

23 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Is Crime Story really that worth the watch? I mean I know it's Michael Mann and all, but Wiseguy was supposed to be really good too and ended up boring the crap out of me. I may be spoiled by Sopranos/Wire/etc. 

I watched both Crime Story and Wiseguy a few years back.  Crime Story held up for me.  Wiseguy, not so much.  Season 2 of Wiseguy is rather good (the gonzo Kevin Spacey season), but everything after that is average, at best.  Kinda wondering if they changed showrunners or something after season 2.  Writing wasn't as good after S2, and they abandoned the one case per season format after that in favor of shorter arcs.

At the time, season 1 (Sonny Steelgrave) got a lot of praise, but, watching it now, I'm not really sure why.  Didn't do much for me.

But, yeah, Crime Story is still worth the watch.  Personally, I never thought Wiseguy was in Crime Story's league.

You know how that OJ Simpson show (not the ESPN one) was subtitled American Crime Story, and was from the producer of American Horror Story? Did they announce a season two (about a different important court case) at any point? And if they didn't, why not? I mean, that may have been the perfect subject because it had so much contemporary relevance and cultural importance, but it's not like nothing interesting ever happened in a court room before or after. And, like AHS, there's nothing stopping them having the next run be a period drama about Roe vs Wade or something.