DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] July 2016 Movie thread

AxB

2 hours ago, Jerome Miller said:

I've gotten so used to watching Charles Bronson in shitty Cannon movies where he didn't give a crap and phoned it in, I genuinely forgot he was a pretty good actor back in the 1960's watching "Villa Rides" with Robert Mitchum on Grit TV.

But he is so great in The Mechanic and apparently only I have watched Hard Times.

I haven't had time to watch a non-kids movie in months, but sat down today to randomly watch Out Of The Furnace. Woody Harrelson, Willem Dafoe and Casey Afleck have great supporting characters, but I felt much of the story surrounding Christian Bale just dragged. :(

On 7/27/2016 at 3:49 AM, Marty Sugar said:

I haven't had time to watch a non-kids movie in months, but sat down today to randomly watch Out Of The Furnace. Woody Harrelson, Willem Dafoe and Casey Afleck have great supporting characters, but I felt much of the story surrounding Christian Bale just dragged. :(

It never really succeeded. And that ending... good grief. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to The Purge: Election Year. Now I had heard beforehand that they managed to sneak in some buffoonery, but I had to see it for myself. Candy girl I didn't mind as much because she's just a really shitty actress delivering really shitty lines. Now, ole Bubba "Soup coolers" Blue I do have a problem with.

"I love black folks but I am not gonna allow yall to shoot these white folks. These is OUR white folks."

He did the buck eyes and everything. Goddamn. I gotta believe that Mykelti Williamson's life mission is to play a slave in every movie.

I was watching Rocky on TV the other night. It reminded me of an argument I had with my (late) dad who was an ex-boxer and adored this film. It was about the ending.

*Me* "You know, this is a romantic film, right? Not a sports film."  

*Him* "What are you talking about? Of course it's a sports film. It's about boxing." 

*Me* "No, it's a romance. The final seconds make it clear. Because Rocky lost the fight in the end...and he didn't give a fuck. He never even paid attention to the announcement of Apollo's win. He just cared about Adrian. The match meant nothing. Not really. Love did."  

*Him* "Why am I paying for you to take all these bullshit college film classes?"

• Like 2

Well to be more precise, winning the title did not matter to Rocky; going the distance did. 

In doing that, he proved he wasn't a bum and was worthy of Adrian's love. 

So yeah, hero's journey wrapped in sports and kinda sorta not really about boxing.

Watching Contraband, they don't bother to mention the movie takes place in New Orleans until the movie is almost over.  You spend the whole time thinking it's set in Boston given the accents of Wahlberg and his character's brother, but then they just casually mention their in New Orleans at the very end.

1 hour ago, Reed said:

I was watching Rocky on TV the other night. It reminded me of an argument I had with my (late) dad who was an ex-boxer and adored this film. It was about the ending.

*Me* "You know, this is a romantic film, right? Not a sports film."  

*Him* "What are you talking about? Of course it's a sports film. It's about boxing." 

*Me* "No, it's a romance. The final seconds make it clear. Because Rocky lost the fight in the end...and he didn't give a fuck. He never even paid attention to the announcement of Apollo's win. He just cared about Adrian. The match meant nothing. Not really. Love did."  

*Him* "Why am I paying for you to take all these bullshit college film classes?"

There is a Japanese film called 100 Yen Love (which I recommend) that's as much about boxing as the original Rocky film. Hell, you probably would think it's a romance film but it's far from that too. That is made very clear early on, and that's why I suggest you steer clear of the reviews. However, it is one of my favorite films of the last five years or so.

21 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well to be more precise, winning the title did not matter to Rocky; going the distance did. 

In doing that, he proved he wasn't a bum and was worthy of Adrian's love. 

So yeah, hero's journey wrapped in sports and kinda sorta not really about boxing.

The sequels, even Creed, were sports films.

The original, meanwhile, is about two sad, shy, lonely people who feel life has passed them by and then finding each other.

Boxing just happened to be involved. 

On 7/26/2016 at 4:08 PM, J.T. said:

But he is so great in The Mechanic and apparently only I have watched Hard Times.

I will have no one speak ill about Charles motherfucking Bronson. Death Wish, The Mechanic, Chato's Land, Mr. Majestyk are all great movies and great roles. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reed said:

The sequels, even Creed, were sports films.

The original, meanwhile, is about two sad, shy, lonely people who feel life has passed them by and then finding each other.

Boxing just happened to be involved. 

I think you can make a pretty compelling case that Rocky Balboa isn't either. It's a cinematic dissertation on aging, grief, and loss that happens to be focused on a boxer.

• Like 1

Watching Warrior on Sundance and I have to laugh at Joel Edgerton getting in trouble from the school for "fighting in strip clubs". When I was in high school, I had a PE teacher that not only did Toughman competitions but -- get this -- moonlighted as a male stripper. Yep. Short little fireplug with a Tazmanian Devil tattoo on his ankle. The coincidence is killing me right now.

• RIPPA locked and unpinned this topic