DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] July 2016 Movie thread

AxB

The first concert in high school I ever went to without parents was headlined by Our Lady Peace (I can be dated pretty precisely by this statement). In the intermission between the band nobody cared about and themselves, they played that episode of The Twilight Zone with the killer ventriloquist dummy on the big screen. So those guys are alright.

• Like 1

Let's not leave Tourist Trap out of the equation. This trailer alone deserves a trigger warning for people with doll and mannequin phobias. 

Maybe because I grew up watching the way cheesier Full Moon films like Puppet Master and Demonic Toys as a kid, this stuff doesn't affect me as much.

• Like 2

Holy Shit, When I was a kid I was traumatized for weeks weeks because of the suffocation death scene. 

The final scene of the movie:

where obviously batshit insane final girl drive away triumphantly in a car full of mannequins dressed up to like her murdered friends

still freaks me the fuck out to this very day.

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

The first concert in high school I ever went to without parents was headlined by Our Lady Peace (I can be dated pretty precisely by this statement). In the intermission between the band nobody cared about and themselves, they played that episode of The Twilight Zone with the killer ventriloquist dummy on the big screen. So those guys are alright.

I think I saw the same tour! Opener (in Winnipeg) was Everclear. 

Oh, also: HUNT FOR THE WILDERPEOPLE was amazingly amazing. Ricky Baker is perhaps the finest male film protagonist of the 21st century. (Finest female is Furiosa, obviously)

• Like 1

While I was working on a some statics for my bird watching, I left the TV on for IFC running Nacho Libre.  I really did not like this movie on the first go round and still feel the same for the second.  Looking at the the general whackiness of lucha libre, I really think there is a good movie to be made as a comedy.  I think Jack Black, whether you like him not, probably has it in him to play that role of even a Super Porky-esque luchador, but instead of being something interesting, it felt like they went for fart jokes and some random catchphrases than actually crafting what could have been a fun story.

Star Trek Beyond: well, it could have been worse.

after the movie, my friend said "screw Idris being Bond. I wish he had been Kirk, instead of a disposable villain under enough makeup you dont know its him."

i did like the alien woman. 

4 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Star Trek Beyond: well, it could have been worse.

after the movie, my friend said "screw Idris being Bond. I wish he had been Kirk, instead of a disposable villain under enough makeup you dont know its him."

i did like the alien woman. 

I loved it, thought it was one of the best Star Trek films. . . .

Thats cool. I do agree with the idea this was like a big giant TOS episode. 

I really had no plans to see it, but my friend (who is also an old school Trekkie) wanted to go. 

My biggest issue with New Trek is: if you made this a parallel universe (or whatever)  where this is Star Trek for a new generation and the old stuff exists but not here, just leave it alone then. Winks to the audience about old continuity are one thing, but 

Spoiler

How did they know about V1 Spock dying? I can appreciate honoring Nimoy, but i think the credits tribute is good enough. 

Hell even the cheesy DEVIL DOLL MST3K did kind of scared me.  Hugo was a goddamn nightmare.

Weird note: The guy who played "The Great Vorelli" in that terrible movie was the co-founder of Janus Films! From his Wiki:

"By the mid 1970s, Haliday was semi-retired and living in France, where he spent the last few years of his life producing and appearing in French television and theatre."

That, my friends, is called winning.

• Like 1

Wild At Heart is still top three David Lynch for me. Reasons?

- "S-H-I-TUT"

- Nic Cage inventing hardcore (metalcore) dancing

- "SANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS!!!"

- Jack Nance ranting about his dog, accented by the guy lighting flashpaper at the end

- Bobby Peru, greasiest villain ever

- Roger Ebert getting super pissed about it

- "One time he put a big ol' cockroach right on his anus"

- "This is a snakeskin jacket! And for me it's representative of my individuality, and my BELIEF in personal freedom."

What more do you need?

• Like 3

There have been a couple of times when Lynch, even as he's this "outsider" figure in most people's minds, just has his finger right on the pulse of where things are going.  Him being just a bit ahead of the peeling back the surface from the sunny suburban Reagan 80s revealing something darker and more introspective in BLUE VELVET was one, and him previewing for us all the campy ironic violence of the "southwest noire" of the 90s in WILD AT HEART was another.

• Like 3

I love Mullholland Drive because whenever I watch it I can't remember what's going on from the last time I saw it and figured it out. It's also the best approximation of a dream I've ever seen in film. Most of his other stuff I can take or leave. 

But musically, Crazy Clown Time is a jam.

Edit: NSFW

• Like 1

Ghostbusters was good. Every frame with Kate McKinnon in it is gold. It actually expands and runs with the concept in some fun ways too. The climax reminded me of what I imagined a big Ghostbusters battle would look like when I played with the figures as a kid. I hope it does well enough for a sequel since they teased 

Spoiler

Zuul

• Like 1

I hated the new Ghostbusters. Everything about it was insulting.

And let me point out without linking to my comments that I liked the trailers and was excited for the movie. What I saw was total dogshit. 

That said, my daughter liked it. That's what matters most. 

I'm not sure which was the more disappointing movie I saw this weekend.  

"Ghostbusters" was this weird mishmash of comedy styles, with Feig/Wiig/McCarthy seemingly trying to do a Adam Sandler-style movie while McKinnon and Jones were trying to do something else.

It's like Feig and co. said "you know what the best parts of 'Spy' and 'Bridesmaids' were?  The vomiting knife fight and the shitting in the street scenes.  We need to make a whole movie about that."

One of the strongest points of the original Ghostbusters was that Ramis, Ackroyd, and Reitman kept the humor grounded in reality.  They didn't try to do campy SNL or SCTV style jokes in the middle of a film about con artists setting up a paranormal investigations business.  The one attempt that they did do, the infamous "hobos" scene, was cut out of the movie.

But Feig and co. go "broad" with their jokes right off the bat with the "Amazon" gag and it just goes downhill from there.

The villian, Rowan, was incredibly ineffective. No real explanation for his motivations or reasons why.  He's apparently some mentally ill genius who feels the whole world has spit on him, so he decides to instigate an apocalypse to get revenge.  They never bother to explain HOW he got all of that paranormal knowledge or technical skills, he's just able to build machines to summon paranormal energy.

In the original film, the main bad guy, Ivo Shandor, had been dead for decades but Ramis effectively explained his origin and motivations in a 30-second speech that was utterly chilling to five-year old me.

The film completely falls apart during the finale.  An awful green screen battle in a CGI Times Square that seemed like something from a FMV video game from the mid 1990's.  We get these slo mo scenes of the girls zapping ghosts with proton beams like a wuxia film.

Hopefully for the sequel, they'll move Feig into a producer's role and replace McCarthy with American Ferrera or something.

Jones and McKinnon were easliy the best things in the movie, so any sequel should focus mostly on them.

--------------------------------

Star Trek Beyond was just dull.  "More of the same" in comparison to the last two films.  The "Sabotage" finale had me rolling my eyes.