DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

I really don't want to see the Nats spend too much on a 1 year guy like Chapman or Miller and get more bats but after that performance from Papelbon today, it is helping my argument.  Not sure how trusted you can be with him

44 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I really don't want to see the Nats spend too much on a 1 year guy like Chapman or Miller and get more bats but after that performance from Papelbon today, it is helping my argument.  Not sure how trusted you can be with him

I giddly await the Nats overpaying for someone based on just today alone

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I giddly await the Nats overpaying for someone based on just today alone

They can't possibly shit the bed again with us crippled can they? Can they!?!? Speaking of the Nats do they sell William Howard Taft dolls because if they do I need to get one? Also next president who needs to be immortalised: Calvin Coolidge (I will settle for Martin Van Buren or James K Polk. Also Ike would be cool).

Heyman says Chapman to the Cubs is done

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/yankees-trade-aroldis-chapman-cubs.html

After months of being linked to power left-handed arms for the bullpen, the Cubs have landed the hardest-throwing pitcher in the game, reportedly agreeing to acquire Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees in exchange for four players, according to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports (via Twitter). Shortstop prospect Gleyber Torres will head to the Yankees as the centerpiece of the deal, and the Yankees will also be reunited with right-hander Adam Warren, who is being included as part of the return for Chapman as well. Additionally, the Yankees will land top outfield prospect and former first-round pick Billy McKinney.

The only part of this that I don't like is the no extension part for Chapman. That said, Gleyber is the biggest piece. I love the kid, was happy to watch him in South Bend last year, but he has a ways to go. Warren I couldn't care less about, especially watching him this season. He's...not good. McKinney is whatever. He may give you good defensive value in the outfield, but his bat is like 2016 Jason Heyward. And then there's the 4th guy who I'm guessing is just an extra dude being thrown in.

What I'm enjoying the most is watching so many Cubs fans become such whiners and shitheads. They're all coming out of the woodwork because they think Chapman is Ted Bundy. It's like they haven't watched how shitty the bullpen has been the last couple months and how there's no relief coming from the minors. An unfortunate by-product of the Theo/Jed era is that everyone is now sacred because they all must be as valuable as Rizzo, Bryant, Schwarber, etc.

I'm thrilled. 

I should point that out on Twitter, specifically to Julie DiCaro. I'm sure her head would explode. The meatball Cubs fans love to think of Starlin post-benching and his hot start in NY. They then stopped paying attention after that figuring hot starts stay consistent...

Steep price to pay, though mostly just Torres with Mckinney regressing offensively. But the relief needed beefing up and Chapman would be my first pick. I would hope they'll extend him after giving up a top prospect.

Value wise, the Yankees absolutely destroyed the Cubs in this deal if there is no extension, which is my problem. I was iffy on Torres for Chapman by itself. Torres, McKinney, Crawford, and Warren is... uh... not great.

All for, maybe, a 1% increase at a WS this year. Would rather have just got a good lefty with multiple years of team control for less.

THAT SAID: Chapman is a unique asset. And maybe we do get an extension with him. Cause him throwing mid 100's is a heck of a thing.

Also, the personal shit makes me want to like this less. 

On 7/23/2016 at 5:07 AM, grilledcheese said:

I don't really understand all the work to shave minutes off the game. I enjoy the pace that baseball moves at.  I don't follow why a 3 hour baseball game is such an awful thing, but a football game that runs about the same length is no problem.

I realize that I am not the fan that these changes are attempting to please, but it irks me a little bit that so much is being made of the "pace of play".

You used to have games that last more than 4 hours as guys dragged out at bats.  You have basketball and hockey which are less than 3 hours.  In today's society where kids have attention spans that last as long as it takes to scroll to the next Facebook or Instagram post.  Participation rates are dropping because parents have their kids playing cheap sports like soccer.

Another big problem are kids whose arms are being abused before they get into the MLB system.  

Its a treat now if you go to a minor league game and it lasts less than two and half hours. I remember even back in 90s, there was a game that maddux pitches that took like 1 hour 50 minutes and Dan and Kieth applauded.

• Like 3

Every half and end of an inning needs some stupid gimmick on the field from some sponsor to take up extra time and they're not even usually televised live if at all. That adds a good half hour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evilwaldo said:

You used to have games that last more than 4 hours as guys dragged out at bats.  You have basketball and hockey which are less than 3 hours.  In today's society where kids have attention spans that last as long as it takes to scroll to the next Facebook or Instagram post.  Participation rates are dropping because parents have their kids playing cheap sports like soccer.

Another big problem are kids whose arms are being abused before they get into the MLB system.  

I have no idea where you are pulling that 4 hour number from, but at no point in the history of the game have 9 inning games averaged anywhere near that long. Yes, games are getting longer because of the increased specialization in pitching, and I don't agree with all of it, but the goal is to win games. Getting outs helps you do that, hence the reliance on an expanded bullpen.

The stuff about how expensive it is to play even at the lowest level of youth baseball is absolutely true. It's madness when you see how much it costs for a kid to play in an organized league. I don't know what to do about that, I pay for my oldest to play ball because he enjoys playing, if he didn't, I wouldn't pay for it and we'd find something else that struck his interest. This winter, he wants to play basketball, so that's what he'll be doing. Then in the spring we'll go back to baseball. 

That also ties into your other point about the overuse of arms. If you and your kid aren't smart enough to limit the usage at a young age, then I don't know what to tell you. It's not that these kids are getting blown out in Little League, it's that they play year-round now, because travel ball is king instead of playing neighborhood games. I know of kids that will pitch in a Little League game, hit their pitch limit and get shut down, then go and pitch for their travel ball team in what is supposed to be their "no-throw" timeframe, then come right back and pitch in a Little League game after the cooldown period has elapsed. That is explicitly the kid and the parent's fault.

Another problem is that guys don't spend any kind of time in the minors anymore. Used to be that for the most part, only the truly injury-proof guys would make the Bigs after a good long run in the bushes, being used exactly as they would be at the Major League level, so if you couldn't hack that kind of workload, you'd never get to the Show. That's something that probably won't change anytime soon.