DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Here is a good one.  When Amaro was with the Phillies as GM their analytics dept. consisted of a subscription to fangraphs.  I am 100% serious.  

Here is the admission.  

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chris-correas-46-month-sentence-is-a-wake-up-call-to-baseball-020203254.html?nhp=1

And that is where it gets truly interesting. Major League Baseball has held off on disciplining the Cardinals, citing Correa’s ongoing trial. That ended as of Monday. At the All-Star Game, when asked about potential discipline, commissioner Rob Manfred said: “To date, there has been no implication that this was an organizational problem but there has been an indication that it was one employee, did something inappropriate, the organization found out about it and fired the employee.”

This does not jibe with the story Correa told Judge Lynn N. Hughes when he pleaded guilty in January. In the midst of a conversation about the value of the information accessed from Houston’s database ($1.7 million) and the restitution Correa will pay (more than $279,000), Hughes pivoted to whether Correa found Cardinals information in Ground Control. Correa said he did.

“Who did you tell?” Hughes said, according to a transcript of Correa’s re-arraignment hearing.

“Colleagues,” Correa said.

“At the Cardinals?” Hughes said.

“Yeah,” Correa said.

Hughes did not push. Correa did not name names, at least not in any publicly available records (a number of documents in the case remain under seal). The admission nevertheless should be damning for the Cardinals. Even if Correa was a so-called lone wolf in accessing the database, the knowledge of it by others at any level, whether superiors or subordinates, means they actively chose to allow a crime to continue rather than take appropriate steps to prevent it in the future. It doesn’t make them complicit. Just grossly irresponsible.

Watching Edwin go from a guy that was literally a trade throw-in afterthought and transform himself into the player he is today has been amazing. He used to strike out every goddamn at bat, and now his patience to wait for the bad pitch is kind of scary.

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

I'm fine with this arrangement.

Can't wait for the summer when the Jays, owned by one of the most profitable corporate conglomerates in an entire nation in one of the 10 biggest markets in north American sport, cry poor.

It's like when the Houston Astros cried poor.

4 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I'm fine with this arrangement.

Can't wait for the summer when the Jays, owned by one of the most profitable corporate conglomerates in an entire nation in one of the 10 biggest markets in north American sport, cry poor.

I think i saw that Rogers is technically the richest owner in MLB, although it might depend on how Dodgers ownership is calculated. 

There really is 0 reason why thte Blue Jays should not be the highest payroll team in baseball. As much as people try to come up with "Canadas Team" narratives in hockey, the only real "Canadas Team" in modern sports i the Blue Jays. They are the baseball team of an entire fucking country, and are owned by the countries biggest TV provider. 

Just acknowledge you are either cheap as fuck, or are pulling the Cards "Oh, no, Pujols lied, don't hate us for letting him walk" thing the Cards did a decade ago and look brilliant for now.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

It's like when the Houston Astros cried poor.

Or the Phillies cried poor throughout the 90's telling people that spending money on pitching was silly since everyone comes out to see home runs.  They were forced to change when they got a new ballpark.

The best 'cry poor' excuse of all time was the Braves who cried poor when their games were on TBS because the broadcast rights were some measly figure.  Turner just used the baseball team as a loss leader making tons of money for the network.

55 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

Or the Phillies cried poor throughout the 90's telling people that spending money on pitching was silly since everyone comes out to see home runs.  They were forced to change when they got a new ballpark.

The best 'cry poor' excuse of all time was the Braves who cried poor when their games were on TBS because the broadcast rights were some measly figure.  Turner just used the baseball team as a loss leader making tons of money for the network.

Just like WCW, except successful. . . .

I cry poor all the time and all I get is pelted with wooden nickels by Kuetsar. They at least have Bills logos on them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

The PR is that Rogers is a publicly traded company, so they have "responsibility to shareholders."

But, MLSE, owned by Bell and Rogers, is not, so they dont have to disclose their financials.

I read somewhere since Bell and Rogers own only 37.5% of MLSE they dont have to disclose certain things to shareholders but since Rogers owns 100% of the Jays they do.  I cant find the story that talked about that or else I would post it since it was written by someone smarter than me.  Like I keep saying though I think the Jays want to stay at the 150-160 million payroll since they do well financially there and the asses in seats and TV ratings are being used to offset the sinkhole of that 5 billion dollar NHL TV deal they entered into

• Like 1

If I had ESPN Insider I could read all of the incredibly dumb ideas they have for improving the game. Such as shortening games to 7 innings. That was the one you could see.