DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

Anyone else want to see the Mets retire Mike Piazza's number? Tickets are going for $6 on SH because a) forecast calls for rain and b) glut of tickets on the market. Also I get the vibe from fans that after his hall induction it just comes across as anti climatic. I wish the team would do the right thing and retire #17 next (they should've retired #8, particularly when they knew Carter was dying but that sums up what incompetent clowns the Wilpons are).

I think they should retire Mike Piazza. Have him just work for the team and stand around as a living statue talking to Mets fans every day.

34 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Anyone else want to see the Mets retire Mike Piazza's number? Tickets are going for $6 on SH because a) forecast calls for rain and b) glut of tickets on the market. Also I get the vibe from fans that after his hall induction it just comes across as anti climatic. I wish the team would do the right thing and retire #17 next (they should've retired #8, particularly when they knew Carter was dying but that sums up what incompetent clowns the Wilpons are).

I can't say I'm too surprised that they haven't retired Carter's number, he was only there for 5 years. Granted, 3 of those 5 he was an All-Star, and he was absolutely beloved there. 

Hernandez not having his done is especially weird, considering that immediately after his playing career ended he joined their TV team and has been full time in the booth for what, 10 years now?

When is the last time anyone wore either 8 or 17? Didn't Desi Relaford wear 8 while he was in NY? 

Between Carter and Relaford, the only 8's were Carlos Baerga and Dave Gallagher for a couple years each.

17 hasn't been worn since 2010 (Fernando Tatis was the last), but was worn pretty much continuously until then by many players, after Hernandez left. That surprises me, honestly.

Everyone's opinion on retired numbers is different. Mine is that it's the highest honor that a team can give a player, and should be reserved for legitimate legends. The Mets apparently feel the same way, as the only numbers they've retired are Stengel, Hodges, Seaver, and now, Piazza. I'd much rather a team reserve the honor for icons rather than dish it out to simply "greats" - that's what the team Hall of Fame should be for.

Some teams, like the Red Sox, actually have specific criteria for retiring numbers. SRSBIZ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

Everyone's opinion on retired numbers is different. Mine is that it's the highest honor that a team can give a player, and should be reserved for legitimate legends. The Mets apparently feel the same way, as the only numbers they've retired are Stengel, Hodges, Seaver, and now, Piazza. I'd much rather a team reserve the honor for icons rather than dish it out to simply "greats" - that's what the team Hall of Fame should be for.

Some teams, like the Red Sox, actually have specific criteria for retiring numbers. SRSBIZ.

I think the Cubs do this well also. 

#31, forever the best and no one that plays for the team is going to top the two guys that wore the number best. 

The Nats picked up Mark Melancon from the Pirates for Felipe Rivero and another prospect.

That really comes off like a give up the season trade for me.  Maybe his contracts is a problem for them but he is one of the most consistent closers in the MLB.  He isn't flashy like a Chapman but slightly better numbers over last 3 years

As a Pirates fan I don't like this trade very much. They are trying to spin like they aren't giving up but getting good, young arms under longer contracts. Melancon was likely gone after the season but he has been the man the last three years. Now Tony Watson is going to close.

From one cellar-dweller to another. SD couldn't get rid of Kemp fast enough now that they were responsible for the lion's share of his contract. Olivera was also immediately DFA'd by SD, so that's another little hint on just how badly they wanted out from under Kemp. 

Two terrible Dodgers contracts getting swapped for each other in the same deal, pretty ridiculous. At least with Olivera, $28MM of the money on his deal was a signing bonus that I believe has already been paid in full.

I firmly believe Rivero will have a higher fWAR over the rest of the season than Melancon.

No brainer trade for the Pirates since paying closers is dumb.

Matt Kemp is washed, but Hector Olivera is a shitty human who can't ball at all. Good riddance.

Havent dove into the Lucroy trade yet, but Cleveland was getting nothing from catcher. He'll help them, not that they need much help in a pitiful AL Central.

Also, Wade Davis is getting an MRI on his elbow. Imagine if both him and Holland needed TJ in back to back years...again, never pay relievers.

The Miller deal is

The Indians have dramatically fortified their bullpen as they look to further pad their lead on the American League Central, announcing on Sunday morning the acquisition of left-hander Andrew Miller from the Yankees in exchange for outfield prospect Clint Frazier, minor league left-hander Justus Sheffield and minor league right-handers Ben Heller and J.P. Feyereisen.

The Yanks also got Tyler Clipperd from AZ

Cards got Zack Duke

11 hours ago, grilledcheese said:

From one cellar-dweller to another. SD couldn't get rid of Kemp fast enough now that they were responsible for the lion's share of his contract. Olivera was also immediately DFA'd by SD, so that's another little hint on just how badly they wanted out from under Kemp. 

Two terrible Dodgers contracts getting swapped for each other in the same deal, pretty ridiculous. At least with Olivera, $28MM of the money on his deal was a signing bonus that I believe has already been paid in full.

SD also gave Atlanta $10.5m to take Kemp.  Good grief.

4 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Remember all of they hype surrounding Cuban players?  Everyone appears to be regretting those deals now.  Mostly Dodgers.

Even Jose Abreu has struggled to some degree since that rookie year. But the Dodgers gave money to three guys that were complete, absolute busts - and one more that's an insanely talented headcase.

Also, the money the Padres gave the Braves with Kemp was the money the Dodgers initially gave them with him, so no "extra" cost from SD.

• Like 1

Lucroy vetoed it I guess because they wouldn't remove his option year, he'll just end up being traded in the offseason at this rate.