DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

23 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Fucking Loria. I want nothing but the worst for that dude. If I had the dough, I would hire a bunch of goons and dress them up as Youppi! and have them pummel that douchebag.

Didnt know Jonah Keri secretly posted here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wow...still in shock that the Jays got Upton for a Class A prospect and the Padres picked up so much of his salary. I can't see any downside to the deal.

He reverts into Braves-level BJ Upton and actively hurts the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt know Jonah Keri secretly posted here. 

Strangely enough, I don't think Loria comes off that bad in Up, Up and Away, all things considered. When he bought in, the Expos were owned by a combination of some Canada's largest companies, running the Expos would have been a drop in the bucket for them. But they continuously refused to put any money in the team. He puts out cash calls, they refuse and he is able to buy more and more of the team.

It's shitty he moved the team, but it never should have been allowed to come to that. People can say Loria or Bud killed the team, but the indifference of the ownership partners is what really did them in. Loria is scummy, but he's just a dude that took advantage of a situation.

1 hour ago, Infinit said:

The Jays also traded Drew Storen + cash to Seattle for Joaquin Benoit. Glad to see we got something for Storen.

You obviously haven't seen Benoit pitch this year....

And before anyone counters that I haven't seen Storen, I had him on my fantasy team for the first 8 weeks of the season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Infinit said:

The Jays also traded Drew Storen + cash to Seattle for Joaquin Benoit. Glad to see we got something for Storen.

You got the Dominican Drew Storen

• Like 1

Braves fans know exactly what happened in 2011 - he hurt his shoulder, tried to play through it, and the team's shitty training staff didn't do anything about it.

I have no idea if that's affecting him NOW, but it has in the past, and he's overcompensated and changed his swing to deal with it.

That being said, a lot of it *is* luck - he hasn't been a "power hitter" for years, and is still collecting a fair amount of doubles this year.

11 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I drove by the Barnstormers stadium in Lancaster yesterday and what we they promoting on their giant titantron outside?

Come see Jose Canseco Aug 19. 

He IS  a name people would know. . . :)

2 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yo @Joe Lucia, back to Heyward, I'm curious to what you think about this if you have the time to read it: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/luck-has-not-been-jason-heywards-problem/

At this point, I'm convinced we're seeing Jacob Heyward, Jason's lesser twin brother who double clutches his swings.

What did you think you were getting?  Heyward is one of the most overrated players of this generation.  He got paid like a guy with a 150 OPS+ while having a 110.  Five straight years under 120.  20 homers just once - a clear fluke.  He's a non-power hitter who doesn't walk much and has a career .264 average.  Yeah, he's been terrible this year but I don't understand why people expected great from him in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Tabe said:

What did you think you were getting?  Heyward is one of the most overrated players of this generation.  He got paid like a guy with a 150 OPS+ while having a 110.  Five straight years under 120.  20 homers just once - a clear fluke.  He's a non-power hitter who doesn't walk much and has a career .264 average.  Yeah, he's been terrible this year but I don't understand why people expected great from him in the first place.

Maybe it's because of having the 11th highest WAR among position players. 

Also, doesn't walk much? He posts a 10% walk rate just about every year like clockwork.

Heywards thing is "elite defense in right with a good OBP and solid power" This year, the power fell off drastically and in general his offense hasn't been good at all. 

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Well, for starters, you don't watch the Cubs or watch Heyward's at bats so everything you're saying is largely irrelevant when it comes to what I'm speaking about.

And everything El Dragon said pretty much demolishes the rest. He got paid like he should. Just because you think WAR is flawed and shouldn't be a basis for dollars per year doesn't make it a correct assessment. 

Also, one last thing, everything has fallen off. So what did I think I was getting? Maybe it was the guy who has elite defense, an above average to great hitter, and someone with good to great discipline at the plate. The Cubs are receiving the elite defense portion of that and nothing else.

It's also weird. Every time Heyward comes up, you chime in and with you, it always comes down to power. It's not always about power and to get paid what Heyward was paid doesn't mean you solely need to be a power hitter who is on base all the time.

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I drove by the Barnstormers stadium in Lancaster yesterday and what we they promoting on their giant titantron outside?

Come see Jose Canseco Aug 19. 

Odds on him sending his twin brother greater than 75%?

9 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Maybe it's because of having the 11th highest WAR among position players. 

Also, doesn't walk much? He posts a 10% walk rate just about every year like clockwork.

Heywards thing is "elite defense in right with a good OBP and solid power" This year, the power fell off drastically and in general his offense hasn't been good at all. 

He walks 50 times a year. That's not much.