DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

45 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I have no idea where you are pulling that 4 hour number from, but at no point in the history of the game have 9 inning games averaged anywhere near that long. Yes, games are getting longer because of the increased specialization in pitching, and I don't agree with all of it, but the goal is to win games. Getting outs helps you do that, hence the reliance on an expanded bullpen.

The stuff about how expensive it is to play even at the lowest level of youth baseball is absolutely true. It's madness when you see how much it costs for a kid to play in an organized league. I don't know what to do about that, I pay for my oldest to play ball because he enjoys playing, if he didn't, I wouldn't pay for it and we'd find something else that struck his interest. This winter, he wants to play basketball, so that's what he'll be doing. Then in the spring we'll go back to baseball. 

That also ties into your other point about the overuse of arms. If you and your kid aren't smart enough to limit the usage at a young age, then I don't know what to tell you. It's not that these kids are getting blown out in Little League, it's that they play year-round now, because travel ball is king instead of playing neighborhood games. I know of kids that will pitch in a Little League game, hit their pitch limit and get shut down, then go and pitch for their travel ball team in what is supposed to be their "no-throw" timeframe, then come right back and pitch in a Little League game after the cooldown period has elapsed. That is explicitly the kid and the parent's fault.

Another problem is that guys don't spend any kind of time in the minors anymore. Used to be that for the most part, only the truly injury-proof guys would make the Bigs after a good long run in the bushes, being used exactly as they would be at the Major League level, so if you couldn't hack that kind of workload, you'd never get to the Show. That's something that probably won't change anytime soon.

What he said. \/\/\/  Guys were stepping out of the box on every pitch to adjust their gloves, take practice swings, and whatever.  Red Sox/Yankees games were borderline unwatchable.

23 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It seemed like, anecdotally, the sox v Yankees  (and other AL East games) were creeping towards 4 hours a few years ago. 

The minors are getting better about arm usage.  When you drop millions on a first round pick you need to take care of that arm.  There is more attention to pitch counts and usage at the lower levels.  At least with the Phillies.  I talked with some people that follow and work in their minor system.  Because of the cost and how much starting pitchers are paid you have to spend more and pay more attention in the minors to a player's development.

The problem with parents is not knowing boundaries.  They push their kids way too much at a young age because they think the kid has a 1% chance of succeeding when in actuality they are doing the kid more harm than good.

Baseball and basketball are being ruined by the travel teams.  

Sports are supposed to be fun for kids where they can learn life lessons about teamwork and build friendships.  Now the kids are shuttled around like circus animals and if you do not follow the program you do not play.  We are teaching kids the wrong things about sports.

54 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

Isn't a small part of it that kids are throwing breaking pitches way to young as well? 

I think that has been mostly found to be something that can't be proven in either direction. Not that it's safe to throw it, but no more dangerous than throwing a fastball. The real problem is with young folks not knowing how to throw anything properly. Mechanics need to be the primary focus for anyone trying to develop pitchers. If you have no control of the hard stuff, who gives a shit if you can throw a breaking ball?

• Like 1

It's less about what they're throwing and how much they're throwing. Kids are being pushed into baseball year-round. They're not playing football in the fall, basketball in the winter, and baseball in the spring - it's baseball all year-round. Jeff Passan's The Arm talks about this in a lot more detail, but in short, the arms of these kids aren't getting any time to rest up, and as a result, you're seeing more and more blowouts at kids of younger ages.

• Like 2

I look back with fondness at how chaotic and unorganized our little league was when I was a kid.  There was like one kid on every team who went to camps and stuff and was insufferable.  I can't imagine what it's like with these PRO-CLASS! kids today getting, like, surgery and touring and shit and their parents!!

My dad was literally the only coach on the team who had ever played seriously and he was laid-back as shit since he only showed up when he could get off his construction job in time and it was pretty great.  We'd be flopping around like idiots and he'd show up and be like "Jesus...look at this...someone get me a bat and a beer."

• Like 2

7 hours ago, El Dragon said:

Value wise, the Yankees absolutely destroyed the Cubs in this deal if there is no extension, which is my problem. I was iffy on Torres for Chapman by itself. Torres, McKinney, Crawford, and Warren is... uh... not great.

All for, maybe, a 1% increase at a WS this year. Would rather have just got a good lefty with multiple years of team control for less.

THAT SAID: Chapman is a unique asset. And maybe we do get an extension with him. Cause him throwing mid 100's is a heck of a thing.

Also, the personal shit makes me want to like this less. 

I looked at it like this...

Chances at a WS jumped by almost 3%.

Do I want to see Warren continue to pitch? No.

Do I know who Crawford is? No, and I haven't spoken to anyone who even knows who the guy is.

McKinney has a weak outfield bat and the organization is loaded with outfield and infield bats.

And finally Gleyber. I like Gleyber, but he's 19, figuring out high-A ball, and who knows what he'll have to offer a couple years from now. Look at the vast number of top prospects who don't pan out.

After this trade and the trade for Montgomery, the farm is still loaded. So they gave up 3 easy to part with pieces and 1 top prospect for 3 months of the best closer in baseball. Chapman is someone who effectively takes an inning away from the other team.

I'm not in love with the trade, but I like it and I think it's OK to have reservations because after all, it is just a rental.

May not be a stretch to say that AJ Preller got more value flipping Upton and Kimbrel than he gave up for them, which is borderline insane.

now, if only Matt Kemp would stay healthy and productive so he could get flipped too...

So Chris Sale is lucky he can throw a baseball so exceptionally... 

“Robin is the one who has to fight for us in that department,” Sale said. “If the players don’t feel comfortable 100 percent about what we are doing to win the game, and we have an easy fix — it was as easy as hanging up another jersey and everyone was fine. For them to put business first over winning, that’s when I lost it.”

http://deadspin.com/chris-sale-is-fed-up-with-robin-ventura-1784294494

What a dick.

I know he's the best player on a very mediocre club, but we all gotta do stuff we don't want to do at our jobs. It's infuriating when one guy thinks he's above the rules. 

Robin Ventura had literally no managerial or coaching experience when he got the job, so let's not sit here and pretend he's Jim Leyland. Dude is a terrible manager that's been in over his head since day fucking one.

I honestly haven't found the length of baseball games to be nearly as jarring as football's movement to squeeze in One More Commercial. Now if we could cut 10-15 minutes of that shit over there I'd be all over it. But honestly haven't had a big problem with the pace of baseball recently.

If anything, they'll want to add in more ads, but just cut them in length. 12 rapid-fire 7 second commercials per break. Everyone yelling slogans to get you to remember it.

There are some YouTube ads that are only 15 seconds. That might be a good start.

But I feel football is more egregious with their commercial breaks after a scoring drive. Extra point, commercials. Kickoff, then straight to commercials. Thats the worst.

Man, I haven't watched a non-Red-Zone bit of non-playoff football since Red Zone happened and now I cant' even come close to sitting through a regular game and I don't know how anyone does.  The commercials are not only never-ending but they're so gaudy and just scream at you how much this entire thing is just a way to freebase product into you.  God, I even hate the way actual football viewers are depicted in the commercials for football games...like, this is how they see me?  Fuck....I'm jus' gonna click on over to Classic Arts Showcase for a sec....

3 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

On the bright side, at least their owner isn't a piece of shit art collector who scammed taxpayers out of $2 billion or whatever it was.

Normally I'd say hey, fuck you, but it's Loria.  So instead have this gif of a cat fighting a watermelon.

KJrJhlV.gif

7 hours ago, Joe Lucia said:

On the bright side, at least their owner isn't a piece of shit art collector who scammed taxpayers out of $2 billion or whatever it was.

Fucking Loria. I want nothing but the worst for that dude. If I had the dough, I would hire a bunch of goons and dress them up as Youppi! and have them pummel that douchebag.

• Like 4