DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2016 - JULY

Dolfan in NYC

40 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

The owners are actually trying to kill the game aren't they? I imagine the union might have a say in this shitty idea though. . .

I am sure Dr. Andrews approves of this measure.  Well, Dr. Andrews' retirement fund approves of this, anyway.

Somewhere Tommy John is kicking a wall that he does not get a cut from every TJ surgery.

I don't really understand all the work to shave minutes off the game. I enjoy the pace that baseball moves at.  I don't follow why a 3 hour baseball game is such an awful thing, but a football game that runs about the same length is no problem.

I realize that I am not the fan that these changes are attempting to please, but it irks me a little bit that so much is being made of the "pace of play".

5 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

I don't really understand all the work to shave minutes off the game. I enjoy the pace that baseball moves at.  I don't follow why a 3 hour baseball game is such an awful thing, but a football game that runs about the same length is no problem.

I realize that I am not the fan that these changes are attempting to please, but it irks me a little bit that so much is being made of the "pace of play".

To me it's a combination of things.  I wouldn't mind the time and the wasting time between pitches if the t.v. coverage would broaden out a bit and show something other than the pitcher and batter's faces in between every pitch.  That gets really tedious.

I honestly think that 50% of the "game is too long to hold people's attention" is that the t.v. coverage is making unnecessarily repetitive and dull.

I will sometimes watch a college or H.S. game on Periscope just to because the person is holding the camera where you can see the whole field and it's so much more engaging.

7 hours ago, piranesi said:

To me it's a combination of things.  I wouldn't mind the time and the wasting time between pitches if the t.v. coverage would broaden out a bit and show something other than the pitcher and batter's faces in between every pitch.  That gets really tedious.

I honestly think that 50% of the "game is too long to hold people's attention" is that the t.v. coverage is making unnecessarily repetitive and dull.

I will sometimes watch a college or H.S. game on Periscope just to because the person is holding the camera where you can see the whole field and it's so much more engaging.

I think you nailed it. It has a lot more to do with lazy ass production than the actual time spent between pitches. It's just sheer laziness to flip-flop between the pitcher's steely gaze as he prepares himself and the batter's steely gaze as he awaits his opportunity. Look, dipshits, you have a whole team on the field, you have a stadium full of people (unless of course you're at a Marlins or Mariners game), there are other things to point the camera at. How about panning the whole field so we can see what (if any) defensive shift has been made? How about a fan with a stupid sign? How about players looking for Pokemons in the dugout?

Why the move to speed up the game?  Because it's too slow.  Yep, football games are the same length but they seen to have more things going on - and there's a clock to force things to move.  There's no pitcher and batter seemingly locked in a battle to make the next pitch never happen.  The pace on TV just feels glacial compared to the live experience.  

So, yeah, pretty much anything to speed up the game - which used to be AN HOUR faster - is fine by me.

1 hour ago, OSJ said:

I think you nailed it. It has a lot more to do with lazy ass production than the actual time spent between pitches. It's just sheer laziness to flip-flop between the pitcher's steely gaze as he prepares himself and the batter's steely gaze as he awaits his opportunity. Look, dipshits, you have a whole team on the field, you have a stadium full of people (unless of course you're at a Marlins or Mariners game), there are other things to point the camera at. How about panning the whole field so we can see what (if any) defensive shift has been made? How about a fan with a stupid sign? How about players looking for Pokemons in the dugout?

It's so bad that in games on MLB now they show a little video-game-esque diamond with little red dots up in the corner of the screen so you can see where the players are positioned for the batter. 

Because, you know, using one of your 12 cameras to just SHOW THEM TO US is forbidden by law or just too hard or something.

While you shouldn't believe anything right now that teams said....

The Yanks have told teams they are close to trading Aroldis Chapman and that they will be keeping Andrew Miller

We shall see...

I just think they wanted more then anyone was willing to offer. There was 0 chance they were going to get Kyle Schwarber for Miller straight up from a Cubs front office for instance, and they basically said that was all they would accept, and that was just gonna never happen. I think they wanted to trade Chapman, but were just trying to see if anyone overwhelmed them for Miller, and nobody has yet.

Well again everyone's asking price is very high now.

Like there are reports that either the White Sox or Rays are asking for 5 top prospects for their starting pitching 

18 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Well again everyone's asking price is very high now.

Like there are reports that either the White Sox or Rays are asking for 5 top prospects for their starting pitching 

Well, there is a difference between 2 1/2 years of an (admittedly dominant) reliever and probably the most valuable trading piece among Starting Pithcers not named Syndergaard in baseball. The Sox should ask for the moon and everything back for Sale, no matter how many jerseys he Edward Scissorhands.

• Like 1

Surprised there's nothing here about what an unprofessional jackass Chris Sale is. He took scissors and literally destroyed all of the throwbacks the White Sox were supposed to wear last night because he didn't want to wear them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Surprised there's nothing here about what an unprofessional jackass Chris Sale is. He took scissors and literally destroyed all of the throwbacks the White Sox were supposed to wear last night because he didn't want to wear them. 

It's in the baseball players are dumb thread. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Check the stupidity thread. Guy is a real cut up!!!

• Like 2