DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

Miz seems like a guy who would have done better in the 80s, much like Cody Rhodes.  His big flaws to me are a lack of athleticism and high-impact offense, but he does the other stuff well to very well.

Also, I think he's underrated as a tag guy- how many tag guys has be had reigns and good runs with?  That's another area you can compare him to Arn.

• Like 1

Apropos of nothing, I really want to know what I was on last night that made me dream Donald Trump had chosen Michael Hayes to be his new running mate.  Wearing the red Freebird Road suit, no less.

And I was like YES YOU 100% HAVE MY VOTE NOW.   I'm afraid to consider what that says about my subconscious.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, EVA said:

Apropos of nothing, I really want to know what I was on last night that made me dream Donald Trump had chosen Michael Hayes to be his new running mate.  Wearing the red Freebird Road suit, no less.

And I was like YES YOU 100% HAVE MY VOTE NOW.   I'm afraid to consider what that says about my subconscious.

Michael Hayes, Mike Pence... probably not that much of a difference in reality.

2 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

A while back when they were still dating, Maryse and Miz had a scene together where they were on the stage.  Maryse is giving Miz the ultimate "I'll have sex with you right here and now" look, but Miz' expression was amazing.  It was as if in that moment, he realized that this gorgeous woman standing in front of him loved him completely, and no one else would ever have a chance with her.  He was both surprised and happy, because she wanted him as much as he wanted her.

They're really sweet to watch.

And then the pegging, though. 

It kind of seems like the measure of what "a guy like Miz" could achieve always comes back around to Honky Tonk Man.  Which has me wondering, what is the difference in terms of impact.  Like, we all remember Honky's run as mid-card IC title-level heel as this huge thing. 

What is missing in us thinking of Miz's runs the same way?  The lack of the title having heat?  The fact that the babyface pins him all the time but it doesn't seem to end things or be lead up to very well?  The chickenshit heel character being a dead end now? Promos/sketches being too long?

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

What is missing in us thinking of Miz's runs the same way?  The lack of the title having heat?  The fact that the babyface pins him all the time but it doesn't seem to end things or be lead up to very well?  The chickenshit heel character being a dead end now? Promos/sketches being too long?

Combination the IC title being devalued to the point of worthlessness and the tv exposure differential across eras. Miz has probably already had more tv time in his current reign than HTM did in his year plus reign, but 3.5 months doesn't sound as impressive as a year plus.

4 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

A while back when they were still dating, Maryse and Miz had a scene together where they were on the stage.  Maryse is giving Miz the ultimate "I'll have sex with you right here and now" look, but Miz' expression was amazing.  It was as if in that moment, he realized that this gorgeous woman standing in front of him loved him completely, and no one else would ever have a chance with her.  He was both surprised and happy, because she wanted him as much as he wanted her.

Not really into the celebrity couple stuff, but I think I would be genuinely quite sad if The Miz and Maryse ever split in real life.

On and off screen, they strike me as two people who have basically found what they are looking for in each other and are pretty compatible. . 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, alstein said:

Miz seems like a guy who would have done better in the 80s, much like Cody Rhodes.  His big flaws to me are a lack of athleticism and high-impact offense, but he does the other stuff well to very well.

Also, I think he's underrated as a tag guy- how many tag guys has be had reigns and good runs with?  That's another area you can compare him to Arn.

I don't see how Cody would have been more over in the 80s. He is mediocre in ring, and has never been able to generate a reaction, face or heel. At least if the Miz was around in the 80s, someone would've probably tried to stab him or beat him up in a bar or something. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

But here's the catch - the promoter makes money when the fan is happy. 

We've seen what happens when the promoter doesn't make the fan happy. 

Roman Reigns' real urine "accidentally" gets sent to the lab for testing?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

The best part of that segment is the WWE was breaking them up on screen with it. God, just imagine if they left them together for how ever many years it was ago. So he's saying his on screen goodbye to her and she's looking at him like that. Miz is truly one of the luckiest men on earth.

It's a little ridiculous how excited I am for Seth Rollins versus Finn Bálor at SummerSlam. I'm really hoping they don't fuck it up and still give the #1 contendership to Reigns somehow. Let him work his way back up the ranks. If he hadn't had THREE title reigns already, I would say he should take the US title from Rusev and defend that for a while, but I'm sure he'll be back in the title picture in a few months.

It's only a matter of time before The Club interacts with Finn. Only thing is, I think Finn is one of those guys right now that can't be a heel no matter what. Gallows & Anderson, definitely, but Finn? Nah. So I don't know if it's worth my fantasy booking idea of the Club interfering on Finn's behalf at SummerSlam, screwing Rollins out of the title and turning him face. Either way though, I win, because if that match stays intact, we'll either get another Rollins reign (YES) or Finn will be the champion on the RAW brand (crazy but awesome).

• Like 1

Miz is one of only a handful of natural heels I've ever seen in wrestling, is one of the few people around now who gets heat wherever he goes and I don't think he really gets his due among fans. I love his current character and truly believe he should be in the main event - the only reason I think his world title run fell flat was because they booked him like any other 50/50 mean-streak ruthless aggression heel whereas he should've been chickenshit and Flair-esque. And as good as it was, he shouldn't have had the programme with Lawler as it did nothing for his rep but alas.

• Like 3

I don't think anyone is poo-poo'ing his heeling... more his in ring ability, which I'm placing that blame on the WWE for being so vanilla and Jeff Jarrett like. 

I actually like The Miz as a person and character. I've never seen a bigger company man than The Miz, and when he does charity work you can see that he cares. His heel character is 80s level Flair and it probably would be a huge benefit for him to have a tag team as cohorts (perfect use for Anderson/Gallows).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

Miz is one of only a handful of natural heels I've ever seen in wrestling, is one of the few people around now who gets heat wherever he goes and I don't think he really gets his due among fans. I love his current character and truly believe he should be in the main event - the only reason I think his world title run fell flat was because they booked him like any other 50/50 mean-streak ruthless aggression heel whereas he should've been chickenshit and Flair-esque. And as good as it was, he shouldn't have had the programme with Lawler as it did nothing for his rep but alas.

I remember when they started making him cut promos in a very monotone voice. Same with Jack Swagger. Neither worked well and were so contrary to both guys' natural personalities.

All this Miz/Maryse talk reminds me of something. 

Anyone remember that Jericho/HHH feud in 2000? Basically: Jericho forcibly kissed Stephanie and was constantly degrading and embarrassing her with horrible remarks. HHH wanted to kill him. 

I was only, like, 14 at the time and even I wondered: "So why exactly is HHH the bad guy here?" The dude is going after his wife, quite aggressively so, HHH is right to want to beat the shit out of him.

I'm supposed to hate HHH for being a dutiful, loving husband?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Casey said:

It's a little ridiculous how excited I am for Seth Rollins versus Finn Bálor at SummerSlam. I'm really hoping they don't fuck it up and still give the #1 contendership to Reigns somehow. Let him work his way back up the ranks. If he hadn't had THREE title reigns already, I would say he should take the US title from Rusev and defend that for a while, but I'm sure he'll be back in the title picture in a few months.

It's only a matter of time before The Club interacts with Finn. Only thing is, I think Finn is one of those guys right now that can't be a heel no matter what. Gallows & Anderson, definitely, but Finn? Nah. So I don't know if it's worth my fantasy booking idea of the Club interfering on Finn's behalf at SummerSlam, screwing Rollins out of the title and turning him face. Either way though, I win, because if that match stays intact, we'll either get another Rollins reign (YES) or Finn will be the champion on the RAW brand (crazy but awesome).

I'm the exact opposite. I'm way more excited for Ziggler and Ambrose, who might actually tell an interesting story, than I am for Captain Flippydo and The Cosplay Kid. I respect them both as athletes, but all the burpees in the world won't make Seth Rollins a compelling personality. I feel like Balor is being rushed to the top to appease the portion of the fanbase that continues to hijack WWE tv with their reactions. I fully admit that this could just be my personal taste. I'm very much not a workrate guy. In fact, I once tried to commission a "Workrate is for virgins" shirt, so maybe I'm not the most objective voice on this...

I think Miz is one unique foreign object away from a decent run at the top. (Maybe Maryse can carry a purse with a brick in it? It's been a while since that one's been used.) He's a great heel character but nothing he does in the ring looks dangerous enough for him to beat anybody. Give him a way to knock people out without making him look like a bad ass and he can ride this act for a while.

• Like 2

Bálor/Rollins is definitely a match that I'm probably going to find to be terrible, but it might actually be pretty good if Rollins were the face and Bálor the heel instead. Both guys are miscast as far as which role they'd work best under in the ring.