DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

11 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Was ADR a draw for WWE in Mexico? Were there any metrics where he meant what Rey meant to them? 

My inability to distinguish accents is up there with my deficiencies when it comes to remembering names, faces, or directions. I'm just generally at a loss every time I leave my house alone. 

I don't know how much they were draws but it makes good business sense to put a local person on top to draw when you are going to a different country.  Especially if you want to increase exposure in that country.

24 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Okay, maybe just a little

p3RofuD.gif

Never realized until now that the hand is backwards. In hindsight, that vest just looks stupid.  

17 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Is it just me, or does that pretty much look like the old set??

But it's got a new hat!

Apparently the announce desk is near the stage now... 

tXXlMcc.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

This poast is fannier if you waed at an Cocknaey.

FTFY.

If the announcers are up there, they're getting toasted every time anyone with Pyro comes out.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

This seems so very Nitro.

I respectfully disagree. The first Nitro set is one of my all time favorites and still holds up today. The one they debuted in April 1999, as much as I hated it, was at least a drastic departure. The one after was basically aping Raw. If it's because of the desk near the set, then I'd say it's much more Bischoff as GM in 2002 or even NXT than it is Nitro

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was joking earlier, but a legit gripe with that setup will be feuding wrestlers with one of them on commentary not able to get physically involved in matches without coming all the way down the ramp. 

Ideally having the booth so far away will prevent them from relying so much on that boring and overused method of advancing feuds.

• Like 2

I know I'm a page or 3 late on the ADR lack of love, but when Dario Cueto did an AMA for reddit, someone asked him about Alberto El Patron, who seemingly vanished. Dario responded, "I have no idea where he went, so I'd imagine that his career went into the toilet."

• Like 4

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

So we're like 10 minutes away from 

Reveal hidden contents

The Roman Club

Right? 

Spoiler

They could go that route.  When Roman reaches what we think is his lowest point, Gallows & Anderson come in and say how they admire his work against AJ.  Roman is desperate enough to listen to the sweet lies they tell, because they realize he's their ticket to the top.

It gives Roman another focus and it gives Anderson/Gallows some needed rub.

Would you guys just give up on Roman like the rest of us please. 

Roman is great example why guys needed WCW. Hey could go there and find himself and then comeback with something new about him. Even in WWE the guy leaves and when he comes back no change.

• Like 1

Roman is actually pretty solid as a worker and a character. He needs to get more of a violent edge, which seems to be where they are heading. Minimal promos, just destroying dudes and he will be over in no time. You have him work Zayn in a face/face match where he loses and snaps and beats the piss out of Sami and you will have solid heel heat. You don't abandon someone who is getting a reaction from the crowd, even if it is not the reaction you want. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ivpvideos said:

Roman is actually pretty solid as a worker and a character. He needs to get more of a violent edge, which seems to be where they are heading. Minimal promos, just destroying dudes and he will be over in no time. You have him work Zayn in a face/face match where he loses and snaps and beats the piss out of Sami and you will have solid heel heat. You don't abandon someone who is getting a reaction from the crowd, even if it is not the reaction you want. 

Here's your problem, he can't get what you are suggesting. They are a family entertainment brand. Roman needs something that connects with him. I'm not going to pretend to have a clue what that is, but I'm fairly confident a 70 year old white guy and 30 tv writers don't know either. They really should just ask him and then run with whatever he says so long as it's not too ridiculous.

He speared Steph. That should have made him the biggest face in the company. He's pretty much the only guy who got one over on the heel authority and he's still not where he needs to be. He could be out there chainsawing guys in half and he still wouldn't be on Cenas level, let alone New Days. Guy needs something organic and you simply can't write that.

Has there been a heel that owned the idea he was using performance enhancing drugs to get an edge on everyone else?

My friend and I were talking about Roman and how he should just come out and admit to what he was busted for. That turned into how Roman should brag about how he uses PEDs without specifically saying that and how he can't be stopped/caught, while others talk about the unfair advantage Roman has. We've seen heels cheat in other ways, but not like that. Seems like a good opportunity to turn Roman into a epic level heel.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Has there been a heel that owned the idea he was using performance enhancing drugs to get an edge on everyone else?

My friend and I were talking about Roman and how he should just come out and admit to what he was busted for. That turned into how Roman should brag about how he uses PEDs without specifically saying that and how he can't be stopped/caught, while others talk about the unfair advantage Roman has. We've seen heels cheat in other ways, but not like that. Seems like a good opportunity to turn Roman into a epic level heel.

Also seems like a good way to get a goverment that already previously indicted you on steroid charges back on your case and looking into your business and lose sponsors ("They're endorsing PEDs on a show aimed at children!").

• Like 1

It's also scripted entertainment and how much of an endorsement is it if it's something that's just alluded to, it's for the main heel, and the end of the storyline is the clean athlete overcoming the possibly enhanced one? As far as losing sponsors, this is a program that has featured far worse subject matter, even in the PG era.

I mean, it's all a guessing game, so you're as right as I am. It could very well blow up in their face and I'd imagine the risk of it blowing up in their face is too great.