DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

2 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Well what is the reason then? Jericho, for instance, has proven to be much more valuable and a bigger draw but they didn't get him a tv show.

Except for Dancing with the Stars, VH1 I Love The 80s, Battlebots, But I'm Chris Jericho, etc etc

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

Can you point to any other reason why they got to be stars on another networks show or even picked to get put on WWE tv besides their looks and/or who they slept with? Haven't exactly heard a compelling argument otherwise. Not like they would be the first people to ever do it.

Since you've chosen to ignore everyone else defending their recent work in favor of your own "obviously they're whores" narrative, why should I bother?  You do you.

2 hours ago, DTTW said:

Can you point to any other reason why they got to be stars on another networks show or even picked to get put on WWE tv besides their looks and/or who they slept with? Haven't exactly heard a compelling argument otherwise. Not like they would be the first people to ever do it.

True or false: when you look at the various wrestling brands on telly, from RAW to Smackdown to NXT, the one with the best Tag Team division is... IMPACT? Although as soon as Davey Richards comes back he'll immediately make it the worst one by the fact of his mere existence, obviously.

(nb: Lucha Underground isn't on telly over here, so I don't know how their tag division is).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AxB said:

True or false: when you look at the various wrestling brands on telly, from RAW to Smackdown to NXT, the one with the best Tag Team division is... IMPACT? Although as soon as Davey Richards comes back he'll immediately make it the worst one by the fact of his mere existence, obviously.

(nb: Lucha Underground isn't on telly over here, so I don't know how their tag division is).

They do trios instead of tags, the trios teams are pretty much, esp Mundo/Evans/PJ.  Best cheating I've seen in a few years.

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:52 AM, RIPPA said:

So clearly Nikki was given the okay to do some in ring training

Eva Marie telling her she should have to spend time in developmental is going to make for a fine clip for Keeping Up With The Bellas.

4 hours ago, CSC said:

And from Meltzer, here are the two new logos...

XOSsDMy.jpg?1

gKXGq8w.jpg?1

I'm almost certain those logos were made with the logo editor in Firepro Returns.  Did they rehire Matt Striker and put him to work in the graphic arts dept. by mistake?

Those logos can't be real.  Can they?

• Like 1

On 7/20/2016 at 8:29 PM, insidecradle said:

I thought I'd seen it all and then I discover Mark Lewin. Being a fan forever, and after 30 years just now finding out how awesome of a performer this guy is. Any stories about this guy?

Millions of stories (some of them even true!) Seriously, Lewin is an all-time great, the only reason he isn't better known is that he really worked all over the world so a lot of fans only saw bits and pieces of his career. Keep in mind most of the US stuff that's on YouTube is at the tail end of his career. From what Steve Yohe tells me, he was something to behold during his stint in LA and the old-timers in Australia and the Pacific Islands still rave about him. 

A real regret of mine is finding out that he opened a restaurant in Everett, WA right after we had left Seattle. If only I'd known a couple of months earlier...;-(

If you want to watch a lot of Lewin, there's a big chunk on NWAOnDemand. I like his babyface stuff vs Gino a lot and he has what might be a MOTY Contender vs Funk, maybe one of the best Funk singles matches we're lucky enough to have on tape.. That said, a lot of his heel matches on the service just aren't great. He could be very repetitive and plodding, and while I don't mind that when it serves the match, a lot of times it doesn't build to anything.-

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It's the sequel to "The Wrestler".

Is this why Chris Jericho keeps getting wins?

I can only support this sequel if it means Raw Special Guest Host Marisa Tomei.

3 hours ago, OSJ said:

A real regret of mine is finding out that he opened a restaurant in Everett, WA right after we had left Seattle. If only I'd known a couple of months earlier...;-(

WHAT?!?!?!? I live in Marysville (next town north of Everett) and have my whole 39 year life. When was this?

Can't see anything but "RAM."

I used to think that the Reebok UFC Fight Kits had some of the worst design elements with a ton of visibility, but "RAM" has that beat. The new SmackDown Live logo is OK by comparison and that thing is shit too.

I just don't get it. They had for-fucking-ever to figure this shit out and it's been a total mess. If they're ready to go with the new sets then that means they've known about the new logo long enough to make stage products and signage for it. At no point did anyone look at that and say, "this looks like fucking dogshit, so change it now or you're fired."

My guess based on nothing at all is that Vince and Dunn liked it and everyone else was too afraid to say otherwise.

RAM. And that texture. Jesus.

• Like 3