DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

4 hours ago, Cristobal said:

When's the last time he didn't put forward a decent effort? I guess there's that Big Show Match a few Rumbles ago, but before that you have to go back to Goldberg. 

The Roadblock "match" with Harper at the latest, although I'd say the Mania match with Ambrose too even though it was low on the card and didn't get much time. I think the only time he's looked like he gave a shit this year was when Strowman wouldn't bump for him in the Rumble.

I've been going through a few of the Hall Of Fame ceremonies this weekend and man the Warrior one proper got to me. I remember constantly battling work rate smarks on 411 about Ultimate Warrior and how great he was and was so happy to see him back in the fold and to get his message across and have his say on a large platform. It felt like he was going to do a lot of good for the company in his ambassador role but then he was suddenly snatched from us. I'll always believe that's for sure 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Maybe Vader can shit-talk Brock, so we can finally get that dream match....albeit, 20+ years too late. 

Or, my favorite, Brock vs New Jack. 

Vader can play Harley to Brock's Vader, and he can challenge the winner of the Cruiserweight Classic.

16 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Well, that would get us back to a possible Lesnar vs Bray program.  So it wouldn't be bad thing.

The only major card left to play with Lesnar is to have Reigns go over him and become the new Final Boss for WWE.  Do it at WM 33 and finally be done with it.  If they actually push Reigns as a 100% no-allegiance antihero who breaks the bones of anyone fool enough to cross him, it could work.  From there, you have a cast of 'rogues' going after him--Owens, Joe, Bray, Styles, Nakamura, and Rusev--ultimately leading to a showdown with Cena.

This is all correct. Reigns is redeemable but this is pretty much the only way to do it now.

51 minutes ago, Ramsey said:

This is all correct. Reigns is redeemable but this is pretty much the only way to do it now.

I'm not saying Reigns is irredeemable, but you're crazy, if you think people would accept Roman going over Brock and cheer him for it.

The way to do it, is to actually listen to the crowd. Turn him heel now and hope the tide turns, then you can try again in a year or two.

17 hours ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Well, that would get us back to a possible Lesnar vs Bray program.  So it wouldn't be bad thing.

The only major card left to play with Lesnar is to have Reigns go over him and become the new Final Boss for WWE.  Do it at WM 33 and finally be done with it.  If they actually push Reigns as a 100% no-allegiance antihero who breaks the bones of anyone fool enough to cross him, it could work.  From there, you have a cast of 'rogues' going after him--Owens, Joe, Bray, Styles, Nakamura, and Rusev--ultimately leading to a showdown with Cena.

I actually feel like both your ideas should be combined and Bray Wyatt should become the new final boss. In my opinion, there's so much more that could be done with him vs. Lesnar than could be with Reigns vs. Lesnar. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the build to their match at WM 31, and thought the match itself was fantastic, but I just personally feel like we already saw everything those guys could possibly do together there.

Kevin Owens v Lesnar would be insanely fun. I think they would have a hard hitting, killer match, not to mention Owens and Heyman going wild on the mic every week.

The Orton thing is just so weird. He should theoretically be hot coming off an injury, plus it's a fresh matchup for Brock, but it just feels like such an uninspired choice for some reason.

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
I also want to say that the idea that Undertaker has my grandparents' wall mounted rotary dial phone and can't get there in time is the funniest thing ever to me

11 hours ago, Eivion said:

To be fair its sort of what they should have done with Reigns in the first place,

This is true.  They should have just bit the bullet at WM 31 and rode whatever wave came up.  They wouldn't have been any worse off.  I think they'll eventually get to where they want, but did they ever take the long way to get there.

Turning Reigns full-bore heel may not accomplish as much as we may think.  I've seen too many pockets of our fellow wrassling fans who say they would cheer if he went totally bad.  I can't decide if that's ironic, stupid, or both.

If Reigns becomes someone with no actual alliance and just a destructive force of nature, then whatever response he gets is fine and correct.  Turning the Shield's powerhouse into WWE's own Frank Castle doesn't have to be a bad thing.  He already has a motto for this:  Spare No One, Spear Everyone.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Agreed with the Reigns heel turn. I was in favor of it for a long time, but you make a very compelling argument. I think he should just become 1997 Sting basically

If he doesn't speak or wrestle, the people who hate him would definitely appreciate him more.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Z said:

I'm not saying Reigns is irredeemable, but you're crazy, if you think people would accept Roman going over Brock and cheer him for it.

The way to do it, is to actually listen to the crowd. Turn him heel now and hope the tide turns, then you can try again in a year or two.

Yeah, this.

Every now and then, someone on here suggests, "You know what would work for Roman?  Pushing him harder."  I'm always flabberghasted.  How many times do you need to see that not work before you realize it won't work?

The last five times we threw gasoline on the fire, it only made things worse, but I've got a really good feeling about time number six.

• Like 1

Well, as someone that hates Reigns, the idea of pushing him as an invincible brooding badass who kills everyone sounds like hot garbage.  It also sounds like the exact hot garbage we're already getting.  So I'm very skeptical your idea will work. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hooker said:

Well, as someone that hates Reigns, the idea of pushing him as an invincible brooding badass who kills everyone sounds like hot garbage.  It also sounds like the exact hot garbage we're already getting.  So I'm very skeptical your idea will work. 

Well at least you qualified you skepticism.

I, on the other hand, think Roman has had some great matches and has shown that he can make a promo work when Vince isn't writing it. The problem with Roman isn't that he's bad at pro-wrestling. The problem is his initial push was fucking terrible and tone deaf and the fans knew it. Half the house still shits on Cena and I don't see anyone outside of the true IWC troll brigade saying Cena is bad.

@Hooker: It's just an idea from a fellow fan.  I'm not Vince McMahon; I don't own WWE and have no control on who gets pushed.  So I'm not sure why you feel the need to take a general conversation point and be so serious about it.

If you would like to add your thoughts without pissing on mine as hot garbage, feel welcome to share them.

I think the problem is that the fans (or, to put in a better perspective, let's say customers) like certain things and don't like other things, and they would rather have more of the thing they like and less of the thing they don't like.  Now, Roman may be green eggs and ham and if people would just try it they'll find they like it (I don't think that's the case, and they've had to eat green eggs and ham for two years now and never come around on it, so, really...).  But nobody is under the impression this is a real sport any more.  That time is so far gone and so completely dead and decomposed and beyond the point of identifying the body at this point.  So while Alex Rodriguez or LeBron James or Floyd Mayweather may be supremely unlikable people, they're going to be on top because there isn't anyone better than them.  That is not the case in the world of fiction!  Everyone knows there's no reason Roman has to be on top.

I think the only way for Roman to be salvaged is put him in midcard stuff and keep him there until he wins the crowd over.  If he can't do it in the midcard, he certainly isn't going to do it in the main event.

14 minutes ago, (BP) said:

If I was Vince, I would have Roman "ask for his release," let him go set the world on fire in Japan for a year, and then bring him back. 

Thing is, dude may not come back.  And the idea of him becoming a star on his own does Vince's ego no favors.

42 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Thing is, dude may not come back.  And the idea of him becoming a star on his own does Vince's ego no favors.

But that is still the problem. Even the "turn Roman heel" contingent needs to remember that the fact Roman was shoved down the fans' throats was so blatant that even a Roman Reigns heel turn probably wouldn't salvage Roman anymore- but rather, have the people who already hate Roman for being shoved down their throats go "Oh, they're only turning him heel because they think we'll all cheer him if he's a heel and make us love him! We see through your game- screw you WWE, I won't love Roman and YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!" 

The fact Roman was THAT shoved down people's throats, for that long, makes it likely the only hope of Roman ever getting popular again would be if Roman leaves the company, tears up Japan or EVOLVE, and THEN comes back to the WWE.

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

If I was Vince, I would have Roman "ask for his release," let him go set the world on fire in Japan for a year, and then bring him back. 

He could team with tama tonga and tongaroa. :)

• Like 1