DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2016 WRESTLING PHOTO THREAD

Liked, but not, you know, "like" liked.

Boy, I hate to talk flippantly about or wish injury on anyone, but Brock dumping him on his neck wasn't the worst thing that ever happened.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

So on Reddit there's a thread about stiffest shots they've ever seen and this one came up about Bob Holly chopping the holy fuck out of Randy Orton's throat:

https://streamable.com/u3tn

Fuck Bob Holly.  My god. 

You know it hurts when all sense of selling/showmanship go out the window. When I was first starting out, I was at a show in Vancouver and Dropkick Murphy was facing a very drunk Billy Two Eagles in a hardcore match. Dropkick was getting blasted across the back with a steel chair and was crawling through the crowd and issuing these loud, dramatic hollers of pain; suddenly, Billy forgot how to swing a chair and caught Dropkick with the side of the chair in the skull. Dropkick just clutched his head and quietly curled into a ball.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.expansion.mx%2Fbc%

Crossposted from the Lucha Report:

Super Libre: Rush defeated L.A. Park by DQ in a match where the finish may have been called as a shoot because these guys were going nuts brawling all over the area using wooden objects and both men juicing then after the match was called, they kept on fighting each other before security broke them up. Both men then grabbed mics and cut promos until the mic's were cut off before fighting again. This was an amazing spectacle with Rush saying after the match that this proved that he & Park were the baddest motherfuckers in Mexico.

Look at his chest! This must be seen ASAP

4 hours ago, Cyanide said:

Boy, I hate to talk flippantly about or wish injury on anyone, but Brock dumping him on his neck wasn't the worst thing that ever happened.

That was Holly's fault anyway. He'd somehow convinced himself that, rather than being a JTTS who was employed to make the young talent look good (which he was), he was employed to stiff them, sandbag them, and teach them discipline and that they had to respect the business. Which he'd been doing a lot of, until he tried it on Brock. Holly sandbagged Lesnar on the powerbomb pickup, not realising that Brock could lift him deadweight anyway. And then when he realises he's going up whether he likes it or not, he tries to sit-up into it, but he's already being slammed down, and it's a bad, bad landing.

• Like 4

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
5 minutes ago, AxB said:

That was Holly's fault anyway. He'd somehow convinced himself that, rather than being a JTTS who was employed to make the young talent look good (which he was), he was employed to stiff them, sandbag them, and teach them discipline and that they had to respect the business. Which he'd been doing a lot of, until he tried it on Brock. Holly sandbagged Lesnar on the powerbomb pickup, not realising that Brock could lift him deadweight anyway. And then when he realises he's going up whether he likes it or not, he tries to sit-up into it, but he's already being slammed down, and it's a bad, bad landing.

That's not quite how it went. Holly pretty clearly jumps for the move (watch his legs take a brief hop before the move and then spring up) and is already up around Lesnar's shoulders when he slips within Lesnar's grip while he's trying to sit up, and that's where everything goes awry. I've seen many dudes sandbag on a power bomb, it's always during the lift, and it's always because they DON'T jump. Why? Because there's a safe place for them to land, which is their feet/knees/stomach. When the move falls apart, Holly would've been in position to be dropped flat on his back if Lesnar had let go of his grip, but he didn't.

Holly said in his book that he was supposed actually go over Lesnar's shoulders and down his back to dropkick him, but slipped due to a mistimed lift and the sweat making things slippery. Not sure if that's true or not, but even if he was supposed to take the power bomb, he was already up where he needed to be and there really wasn't much else he can do (short of grabbing Lesnar's wrists and trying to muscle himself back up, which could've broken Lesnar's grip or at least loosened it even more, either way he would've fallen anyway).

I mean, don't get it twisted, Bob Holly's a douchebag, but this wasn't him sandbagging. Plain and simple, you can't sandbag someone if you jump for them.

Though it does seem like he sandbags him, after reading Bob's book (which is really good), it may have been a miscue. It's a 50/50 view, depending on opinion. 

I loaned the book out to a friend a while back, and haven't had it returned, so I can't check, (::calls Bookman from Seinfeld::) did Brock apologize for it?

4 hours ago, Marty Sugar said:

a very drunk Billy Two Eagles

You could've just said "Billy Two Eagles".

Dropkick Murphy seems to be a magnet for stupid bumps.  Very first TCW show down here in Tulalip, the ropes were super loose and 'Kick took a backward bump over the top and domed himself on the apron on the way over.

24 minutes ago, Michael Sweetser said:

Speaking as someone that's been on both sides on occasion - ohhh yes you can.

Not on a power bomb, at least not in my experience (been on both sides). You either go up or you don't. Kinda hard to do it when you're up over the guy's shoulders.

Now something that requires you to post, sure. :)

37 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Though it does seem like he sandbags him, after reading Bob's book (which is really good), it may have been a miscue. It's a 50/50 view, depending on opinion. 

I loaned the book out to a friend a while back, and haven't had it returned, so I can't check, (::calls Bookman from Seinfeld::) did Brock apologize for it?

Yes, he did (according to Holly, at least). Here's the quote from Holly's book:

It was just going to be your typical match; I go out there, make him look good, and then get beat. I came up with the idea that he would go to powerbomb me, I would sit out and land on my feet, and we’d go into the finish from there. He was cool with that — Brock was very easy to work with, willing to listen and follow instruction.

When the time came for us to go home, we set up for the powerbomb but when he lifted me up, our timing was off. I jumped at a different time than he lifted, so I didn’t manage the rotation I needed in order to get up on his shoulders. I tried to correct it but we were both really sweaty — he tried to hold on to me but he couldn’t, and I ended up coming down on my neck. If you watch the footage, it looks like he drove me into the mat. As soon as I landed, I knew something was wrong. Everything in my neck just crunched. My whole body went numb — it was horrifying. Brock knew something wasn’t right, so he gave me a moment to come back around as the ref asked if I was all right. I said I wasn’t sure. I figured I’d be fine as soon as I was able to move a bit, so I said we should carry on and finish. It was a taped show, so we did the powerbomb spot again, in case they wanted to edit out the first attempt that went wrong. We did it fine this time — I got the rotation, landed on my feet, and dropkicked him. It looked good. We went from there and ended the match with him beating me with his finish. When we got to the back, Brock was upset, saying, “Man, I’m sorry, I feel like shit.” He was trying to blame himself. I told him it was all me because I hadn’t managed to sit up on the powerbomb. He didn’t drop me on purpose, I knew that.

I went into the locker room and lay down on the trainers’ table. Johnny Laurinaitis came in and asked if I was all right before he went in search of Brock. The trainer brought me some ice and was looking at my neck when Brock walked in. He apologized again; I could tell he felt horrible. I told him that it was an accident. Wrestling ain’t ballet! Brock said that Johnny had just chewed his ass out, telling him that he’d only been there for six months and he couldn’t be hurting guys like that. I told him I’d speak to Johnny and make sure he knew Brock wasn’t to blame for the accident. I’ve heard a lot of people claim Brock dropped me on my head on purpose because I wasn’t cooperating with him on the powerbomb — that I wanted to make him look bad, so I didn’t bother jumping properly and that I got what I deserved when he dropped me. Where these people got this idea, I don’t know. I think these people were happy to have seen me get hurt. It boggles my mind that there are people like that, and I guarantee that these people who started rumors from their computers wouldn’t say a damn word to my face. Nobody ever asked me about what happened or tried to get to know me before passing judgment, they just went ahead and made assumptions. Anybody who has ever learned to wrestle can look back at that footage and see that our timing was off and the whole thing was just an accident. Nothing more, nothing less.

8 minutes ago, KDWI said:

Not on a power bomb, at least not in my experience (been on both sides). You either go up or you don't. Kinda hard to do it when you're up over the guy's shoulders.

Now something that requires you to post, sure. :)

Trust me, the only thing worse than not going up is going up part-way.  I took a powerbomb that way (miscommunication on their part and awful jump on my part) and was lucky I didn't end up like Holly.

Just now, Michael Sweetser said:

Trust me, the only thing worse than not going up is going up part-way.  I took a powerbomb that way (miscommunication on their part and awful jump on my part) and was lucky I didn't end up like Holly.

Oh, totally, I mistimed a power bomb a few times myself (mostly because I have shit timing, and that's why I stopped working a loooooong time ago). My whole point is that you can't sandbag when you're over the guy's shoulders, it's only during the lift and usually if you don't jump. Mistiming ain't sandbagging. Unless, like, you intentionally lean back once you're up there, and then you're basically asking to be ganso bombed.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Holly has debunked this multiple times-

There's no denying it looked malicious when it happened: Brock had a look on his face, almost as if he was glad he just maybe paralyzed Bob Holly. It doesn't help that since then we all got to learn Bob Holly had a tendency to be a very mean and malicious prick.