DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Chinese curler just kicked a rock out that was still in play. Norwegians pointed it out and in the middle of discussion between the teams the male Norwegian turns to the audience and asks if anybody saw what happened lol

I guess in curling there are no officials so the teams self police. Man, if only the NFL would adopt that system.

2 hours ago, Captain Kronos said:

Did it end amicably?

Yeah. The Chinese acquiesced after some discussion. Not sure what convinced them because it seemed Iike the Norwegians were speaking Norwegian and the Chinese Chinese so I have no idea what they were discussing beyond when the male Norwegian player asked the audience in English.

• Haha 2

There is not nearly enough love in this thread for Red Gerard's Gold Medal run in Slopestyle Snowboarding.

I was out at the mall with my boo and we stopped by BDubs to see this kid shred.  When he finished his run, the entire restaurant erupted and people who didn't even know each other were hugging and jumping and screaming USA!

• Like 1

Simmons is an irrelivant fossil that exists to say dumb things so that's honestly not even that surprising.

This has been a rough olympics for Canada winning things in the absolute dead of night but hey it's kind of nice in this post-Vancouver olympics world where we actually have a contender in most of the events instead of just a few here or there.

It really struck me watching the women's hockey so far how much the skating has improved universally since 1998. Twenty years on and lot of teams can fly. Finland, Switzerland, even Japan have some really good skaters. Even if it's still Canada and the USA and then Everyone Else, the general game quality has definitely improved in 20 years.

Team figure skating is stupid. There's no difference between what happens and regular figure skating. It is clearly a made up event so they can air figure skating for three extra nights because it's a ratings draw. What about team figure skating could not be accomplished by assigning points to the top competitor from each country in their respective competitions, adding them up, and handing out gold/silver/bronze medals?

Mixed doubles curling is a different game than regular curling. Strategy is different, rules are different, and takes about half the time to play a game. This is where Simmons' argument falls apart. If he wanted to argue that Canada should have sent teams that actually competed in some mixed doubles events as a team, he might have a bit of a point to make.

Shaun White has to be in the conversation as Greatest Winter Olympian at this point, right? The nature of his event, he's never going to have the medal total of some other Olympians, but what he's done the last 3 has been amazing.

As it is, I'd still probably vote for Bjorn Daehlie, but damn, Shaun.