DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Mo Farah has gone and done it, he's won the 5k. With Bianca Walkdens bronze in the Taekwondo earlier, he ties Team GB up with Londons 65 medals. Joe Joyce is guaranteed a medal in the super heavy weight boxing final late today. Team GB will make a little bit of Olympic history and be the first country to win more medals at the following games after hosting them. 

It's 2 in the morning here, I need sleep.

Edit: Team GBs Women's relay team decided they didn't want to wait 14 hours for the boxing match to beat Londons medal count and took a bronze in the 4x400. 

• Like 1

To beat the anthem dead horse a bit more...

A few years back I was at a hockey game.  The elderly gentleman next to me struck up a conversation during which he said "I hope people are respectful and sing the anthem."

I assumed he was wondering if they would play the anthem before the game and I assured him they would.

"No I know they'll play it I just hope these assholes are respectful and sing it."

"Umm...you mean...like...us? The crowd?"

"Yes you're supposed to sing the anthem to show proper respect."

So the anthem starts up and he belts it out at the top of his lungs while scowling at everyone around him (including me) that wasn't singing along.

He didn't say anything else to me for the duration of the game but I did hear him tell the other guy who was there with him "None of these assholes sang it."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Fidel Sierra?

Bizarre finish in the freestyle wrestling, as USA's J'den Cox leads 1-0 late in the match, but he is "on the shot clock", due to passivity, meaning he has 30 seconds to score a point or his opponent gets a point (and would win tie match on last point scored). He goes for it, and there's an almighty scramble, but the ref says no score.

The coach challenges the ruling, because, well, it was really close, and even if it was denied (giving Cuba an extra point), Cuba would win anyway. After a LONG period of appeal, the judges decide that Cox DID get the takedown and scored two points. So it goes from 1-1 (Cuba wins on criteria) to 3-0 Cox

The cuban wrestler was so upset with this, he decided not to continue the match (there was only six seconds left), and the referee/judges have no choice but to award Cox the match by DQ.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/jden-cox-bronze-medal-match-highlights

Only saw the last minutes of the football match. Looked like both teams put in a shift. Fairplay to the Brazilian keeper. He did the right thing, diving late and hoping for a badly placed pk.

Men's Javelin had a good German performance at last. And it was really cool seeing the Spanish high jump granny win the whole thing at age 37.

We should find that old guy and have him get out in front of a stadium and have him sing the ENTIRE song. It has 3 other sections just as long. That song is hard as hell to sing for a trained singer unless you're a natural or have great training and a lot of practice, let alone the rest of us schlubs just bellowing out of key nonsense like we're singing some church hymnal.

1 hour ago, ReiseReise said:

And it was really cool seeing the Spanish high jump granny win the whole thing at age 37.

It is funny that to win gold 1.97 m was enough while in the heptathlon two athletes passed 1.98 m.

The lowlight of track'n'field was the 800 m women's run. How Semenya and Wambui pass as women is beyond me. I have never heard Wambui talk but Semenya even has a voice like a man.

It's a delicate topic. She had to go through a humiliating process to be allowed in women's competition, and now she's a part of it. I assume that makes it okay. As long as there are no intergender olympics, there is no way to evening out those things imo.

Holy shit, seek out the end of the wrestling 65kg bronze medal match. Coaches running in during the match then Mongolian guy was winning, he gloated and had a point deducted for refusing to engage, handing bronze to Uzbekistan, Mongolian coaches took it super badly stripped off in protest. All it was missing was Teddy Long coming out to restart the match.

Mongolian heel turn.

4 star match. 

I don't really know where I fall on the gender thing, but isn't athletics in general based on some people being born with "amazing bodies"?  If we start deeming those anomalies to be "unfair advantages" then should we ban Kenyans from long distance running because clearly somethings happening there.   Should we impose a 6'6'' height restriction in basketball because Shaq doesn't have to work as hard as a "normal" to be great at it? 

If we really looked, I'm sure there's some freaky thing going on with Michael Phelps joints too. 

• Like 4

She has a medical condition.  If she was on a juice you would see this passed around almost all female athletes, not one woman from South Africa.  You can be sure the US and Russian scientists would have copied this by now and it would be on sale at GNC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperandrogenism

This gets very touchy because there are women who cheat by boosting testosterone levels to just below the trigger level when tested.  How do you properly classify someone with a medical condition when most elite athletes have some sort of advantage from birth?

As an example, do you ban basketball players who are too tall or have too long wingspans?

1 hour ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Holy shit, seek out the end of the wrestling 65kg bronze medal match. Coaches running in during the match then Mongolian guy was winning, he gloated and had a point deducted for refusing to engage, handing bronze to Uzbekistan, Mongolian coaches took it super badly stripped off in protest. All it was missing was Teddy Long coming out to restart the match.

Mongolian heel turn.

4 star match. 

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/mens-freestyle-wrestling-65kg-97kg-medal-matches

2 hours 30 minutes in.

I like in amateur wrestling where if you win a big match apparently the first thing you seem to do is throw your coach around in a wrestling move.   there are a lot of pro wrestling managers that are glad that tradition never made it

So funny seeing the Mongolian wrestler who brutally lost because of celebrating too soon showing class and respect at the end while their coaches are doing a strip tease.  With the Brazilian crowd losing their mind.

• Like 1

Team GB (&NI) finish second in the Medal table. Ahead of Russia and China. Suck it Putin, you sit there and you take your steroids and it didn't get you anywhere. Having your whole team banned (like they should have been) would have been less humiliating than that. 

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

Team GB (&NI) finish second in the Medal table. Ahead of Russia and China. Suck it Putin, you sit there and you take your steroids and it didn't get you anywhere. Having your whole team banned (like they should have been) would have been less humiliating than that. 

Remember this when in 5 years, some new WADA tests show how many British athletes were dirty. :)

• Like 2