DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Usain Bolt. Legend.

Team GB's women win their first gold medal in hockey beating defending champions, Netherlands...ON PENALTIES!!!

Feel all for Lutalo Muhammad from Team GB who lost in the very last second of the taekwondo final to Cheick Sallah Cissie. Muhammad was leading. Emotional Lutalo interview followed. What a shit way to lose.

Surely that's staying with Lutalo forever. Very. Last. Second.

Aaron Cook changed country from Great Britain to Moldova after Team GB picked Lutalo for Cook at London 2012. Cook was destroyed in the first round losing to Liu Wei-Ting.

14 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I feel bad for Gabby. Between the idiots talking about the anthem and the stupid "only 2" rule in gymnastics her 2nd Olympics has been shit.

Title 36 / Section 301 of the USC aka the Flag Code states that:

During a rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

So there is legal precedent for how you should conduct yourself while the anthem is being played. People may be acting like dicks about it, but it isn't necessarily a baseless criticism. 

The thing about the Flag Code is that strict enforcement of that can result in a violation of the 1st Amendment since there is no set Constitutional standard on what "patriotism" should look like.  The 1st Amendment gives you the ability to display your patriotism in the manner you see fit to, including not at all.

She showed a respectful demeanor while the anthem was played and that was good enough for me, but IMO there should be some sort of consistency in protocol concerning the anthem.  While I think that it is proper that they should hold their hands over their hearts when the anthem is played, it should not be a requirement. 

In truth, it can't be a requirement by law because of the 1st Amendment.

Yeah, that there flag code. All Americans are required to make sweet love to the flag at least once a year to show you're a real American. It's buried in the back of the code somewhere. I don't agree with it, but I'm not even cheesed off at people trying to burn the thing. It's an object, not the ideal itself they're burning, legally, I can't do anything to stop it if they're not harming anyone. Most protestors that go that far actually are probably close to harming others since it's fire and all, but that's beyond the point. Setting yourself on fire seems like a more worthy form of protest anyway.

4 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Yeah, that there flag code. All Americans are required to make sweet love to the flag at least once a year to show you're a real American. It's buried in the back of the code somewhere.

There are assholes on both sides of the argument.  As a citizen, I am wary of those who wrap themselves in the flag and those who wipe their asses with it.

The Flag, like the Constitution, is an object of respect, not reverence. We're supposed to debate its meaning and significance. 

Just now, J.T. said:

There are assholes on both sides of the argument.  As a citizen, I am wary of those who wrap themselves in the flag and those who wipe their asses with it.

The Flag, like the Constitution, is an object of respect, not reverence. We're supposed to debate its meaning and significance. 

And make sweet love to it, come on, it's in the constitution, also in the back somewhere, no one's ever read it. Might need to solve a few riddles and escape traps to find it.

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Of course, the Pledge of Allegiance also says "one nation under god," which would seem to be 1st amendment violation. 

#teamagnostic 

Not to turn this into a Civics class, but the Supreme Court established in Engel v. Vitale that there is a difference between patriotic inclusions of God and enforced religious exercise.  That's why you can have kids recite the Pledge and still not have organized prayer in school and why you no longer have to be sworn into testimony with your hand on a Bible..

Furthermore, the Pledge is directed towards the Republic and the Nation under God, not God himself, so prima facea it does not expressly mandate Christianity as the official religion of the Untied States.. 

Before I was a hacker, I was a paralegal.

In short, Gabby has the right to display or not display her patriotism openly as she sees fit to, but the argument concerning her demeanor during the anthem wasn't baseless even though IMO it still was a bunch of wingnuts screaming at the sky..

Now back to your regularly scheduled Olympic programming!

33 minutes ago, Ryan said:

And make sweet love to it, come on, it's in the constitution, also in the back somewhere, no one's ever read it. Might need to solve a few riddles and escape traps to find it.

It's fucking esprit du corps and it is not the litmus test of how much someone loves their country.

2 hours ago, J.T. said:

So there is legal precedent for how you should conduct yourself while the anthem is being played. People may be acting like dicks about it, but it isn't necessarily a baseless criticism. 

The thing about the Flag Code is that strict enforcement of that can result in a violation of the 1st Amendment since there is no set Constitutional standard on what "patriotism" should look like.  The 1st Amendment gives you the ability to display your patriotism in the manner you see fit to, including not at all.

She showed a respectful demeanor while the anthem was played and that was good enough for me, but IMO there should be some sort of consistency in protocol concerning the anthem.  While I think that it is proper that they should hold their hands over their hearts when the anthem is played, it should not be a requirement. 

In truth, it can't be a requirement.

Can a legal precedent for conduct during an anthem be applied for someone who is in a different nation though? I can see any legal consequences at all for this, not even theoretically. After Germans went nuts for the behaviour of the discus thrower during the anthem, I´m happy to see another nation making an even more ridiculous point out of overstating the (non existant) importance of behaviour while a national anthem is playing.

What would the USA done with Christoph Harting?

I personally enjoyed this, btw, simply because it was hilarious and the guy seemed to be overfloating with joy. I like rooting for Athletes and "my hometeams", but I´m not patriotic and not a fan of any sort of nationalism. I HATE the anthems being played before international football (soccer) matches. Blame the different upbringing, but since the above started a huge shitstorm over here I´d say you can´t generalize German attitudes towards anthems and flags.

German women taking Gold in the Olympic football tourney was a good thing for them. I was fifty-fifty going into the final since I have huge sympathies for Sweden and thought the team did well to claw their way into the final. Match itself was quite entertaining with good chances on both ends. Did anyone see USA vs Sweden? Did the Swedish ladies play a similar style than they did in the final? If so, Hope Solo is a moron and has no clue about football.

We should also remember that the flag code says the flag should never be used as an articule of clothing. So let's ask all those who have an issue with Gabby what they think of the women at the Budweiser tent at the 4th of July NASCAR race wearing American flag string bikinis or the Duck Dynasty guy who wears an American flag bandana. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, muhammedboehm said:

We should also remember that the flag code says the flag should never be used as an articule of clothing. So let's ask all those who have an issue with Gabby what they think of the women at the Budweiser tent at the 4th of July NASCAR race wearing American flag string bikinis or the Duck Dynasty guy who wears an American flag bandana. 

Note that none of the flag representations found on articles of clothing are not 100% representations of the flag.. 

There are subtle variations such as the deliberately incorrect number or placement of the stars, position of the stars, or reversed color patterns that allow those items to be worn without violating the flag code.

For example. the flag patch that members of the Armed Forces wear on their uniforms is the mirror image of the actual flag and the blue border does not always contain stars.

That being said, these people criticizing Gabby are idiots, so I don't really care what they think.

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Usain Bolt. Legend.

Team GB's women win their first gold medal in hockey beating defending champions, Netherlands...ON PENALTIES!!!

Feel all for Lutalo Muhammad from Team GB who lost in the very last second of the taekwondo final to Cheick Sallah Cissie. Muhammad was leading. Emotional Lutalo interview followed. What a shit way to lose.

All I want to know is how many medals went to the proud people of Robonia! If it's less than all of them, I will file an official protest using J.T. as my counsel.

• Like 1

About the anthem, the way it was always presented around here was "please rise and gentlemen remove your hats for the posting of our national anthem."

I literally had never heard of putting your hand on your heart for it. Pledge yes, anthem no.

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Of course, the Pledge of Allegiance also says "one nation under god," which would seem to be 1st amendment violation. 

#teamagnostic 

Well it was only added in the  late 40's/ early 50's with the Red Scare going on. . . . .

Well considering the story was first reported 5 days ago by all the other sites you probably should believe it

(though they did use a more scandalous headline then what happened)