DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Bolt not at his best this year and he still won in convincing fashion.  Only guy in the world who can even challenge him in the 100M is Gatlin and even then Bolt still edges him every time. Incredible. I think his best days are behind him after this though. We'll see a shake up in 2020 I THINK..  I don't want to count him out but that's a long time and he's lost a bit.

I love that his answer to why he didn't run faster is that he would need someone better in the field to chase. 

Sure, we'll just, you know, all try harder to create someone faster than anyone in the history of the earth just so that you are less bored when you then easily beat that person.

I think Bolt will not be back in 2020, but god damn, that man is amazing.

Even still, the best part of the men's sprints this week was Gatlin and his cheating ass missing the 200 final. As much respek that I have for Bolt and the youngin De Grasse, Gatlin can go fuck himself. If he was a Russian drug cheat, this entire board would be calling him a shitdick.

4 hours ago, dogwelder said:

So is Maroulis beating Yoshida for the gold medal the biggest upset of this year's Olympics?

Seems like it. A big moment for US women's wrestling. Yoshida was devastated by the loss. Japan had run off three golds in women's wrestling the day before and Kaori Icho claimed her four golds. It seemed like Yoshida was a lock to get hers.

29 minutes ago, Dewar said:

I think Bolt will not be back in 2020, but god damn, that man is amazing.

Even still, the best part of the men's sprints this week was Gatlin and his cheating ass missing the 200 final. As much respek that I have for Bolt and the youngin De Grasse, Gatlin can go fuck himself. If he was a Russian drug cheat, this entire board would be calling him a shitdick.

Can you point out even one post on this forum praising/supporting/defending Gatlin? Every single mention of him has been derisive, the idea that us braindead yanks were rallying behind the guy just isn't true (people I know are glad he flopped).

1 minute ago, Brian Fowler said:

Olympics without Bolt and Phelps still be so fucking strange.

It'll be weird but I think Tokyo is going to look so awesome.  It should make for an incredible spectacle and their Olympic stadium should be full.  If it's one thing I haven't liked about Rio it's the track & field attendance. London was PACKED.  I remember Beijing being packed too.  Rio not so much.

Rio was awarded the games during an economic boom that turned into a national disaster of a recession in the time learning up to them. Plus legitimate health issues to prevent some travel to the Games. It was a confluence of things.

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

It'll be weird but I think Tokyo is going to look so awesome.  It should make for an incredible spectacle and their Olympic stadium should be full.  If it's one thing I haven't liked about Rio it's the track & field attendance. London was PACKED.  I remember Beijing being packed too.  Rio not so much.

Well, Beijing had "forced attendance" and London often had the military fill in seats, so i think the poor showing at Rio, where tix were $$$ and fewer comps were given, needs a small "yes, but" asterisk. 

Rio may have small crowds, but those mother fuckers are molten, especially if their own athletes are contending.   That bunch at the Men's Beach Volleyball gold metal match was insane!

3 hours ago, Dewar said:

Every single post I've reviewed in the past five pages or so of the thread is very pro-Bolt.

Oh and speaking of American shitdicks, Fuck Ryan Lochte.

14 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I don't even understand how the small crowd thing became a Rio talking point, have people seriously forgotten London's ticket scandal already?

They moved on to the Irish ticket scandal. 

5 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Well, Beijing had "forced attendance" and London often had the military fill in seats, so i think the poor showing at Rio, where tix were $$$ and fewer comps were given, needs a small "yes, but" asterisk. 

Rio gave out lots and lots of comps, problem is people still did not show up. For example they gave out 280k free tickets for children and not even half of them showed up. Another funny thing is that 7% of people that buy tickets at the door don't enter the respective statiums but apparently only use them to enter the Olympic Park.

On 16.8.2016 at 5:09 PM, Ryan said:

It's 14 in Germany, in many ways the Alabama of Europe.

It's a little more complicated, often the gaps between two people matter a lot. Didn't stop me from laughing at the Alabama of Europe moniker. Hats off to you, sir.

Impressed how both German football teams somehow got better and made it into the final. Women had the luck of the draw in a few regards, but looked quite weak during their group matches. Men's team had really tough opponents - Fiji aside - and many road bumps in their selection process. Good work by both teams.

Maroulis beating Yoshida was a helluva moment,  was really happy to see her win.  Didn't realize until afterward just how huge an upset this was, but both looked really good in their matches.  Yoshida has nothing to be ashamed of, but do feel bad that she's taking the loss hard.

And you couldn't pay me to go to Rio and watch the games.  With the shitstorm that was going on leading up to it (Zika virus, high crime and interim president due to corruption) it's easy to see why attendance was on the low side.  Aside from the reports before the Olympics and the algae issue, it's been relatively fine.  But if Americans bought a lot of tickets yet passed, can you really blame them?  Especially when that's all the news media wanted to focus on.

• Like 1

Rio organizers have given five main reasons for the empty seats at events.

Scalpers

On top of the usual problem sports face, in having scalpers and brokers gobble up tickets and then having them go unused when the prices are jacked up, the Rio Games have a different issues: The mass arrest of scalpers, which take tickets out of circulation.

Officials report that 12,000 tickets had to be “canceled and recycled” after scalpers were arrested in the opening days of the Olympics. Some of those tickets were never resold after they were reissued.

Food availability

Specifically for beach volleyball, but also affecting other venues, was the fact that some of the food options – such as salads – were being quickly sold out. The venues then allowing fans to leave the site to get food and then reenter it. So part of the reason there aren’t fans in seats is because they’re having to leave to locate food, according to the officials.

Sponsors aren’t using them

Fans who received free tickets from the Olympics’ many sponsors – typically seats one might see on television – aren’t using them.

“We’re seeing some sponsors not living up their responsibility for tickets,” said Andrada. “There was a sense that some corporate tickets haven’t been used.”

This is partially due to the long security lines at venues that Andrada said frustrated some of these VIPs in the first week of the games. Obviously, since there’s no financial stake in the tickets they’re holding, some are content just not to attend the event.

Doubleheader apathy

Specific to beach volleyball – which has been surprisingly sparsely attended, given that it’s the second most popular sport in the country – Rio officials said they believe some fans are simply showing up for Brazil matches and then vacating the stadium in Copacabana beach rather than staying to watch other matches.

“Local fans more focused on Brazilians and then they leave,” said Andrada.

Forced empty seats

Finally, Rio officials offered a reminder that the venues are legally obligated not to sell six percent of their seats.

It’s a law in Brazil to accommodate those who assist fans with a disability with the chance to purchase a ticket to the event onsite. Officials also said that they artificially stay under capacity due to problems in previous nationwide sporting events when crowds have been overcapacity. In either case, it’s the reason Rio officials said they can’t always declare that a venue is sold out.