DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I'd like Tokyo to get it, then Madrid. Watched a news report today saying Madrid have lost out twice in recent years. The decision about whether certain sports will make the 2020 Olympic Games is due soon, one sport is Wrestling. Still surprised that got cut.

I'd like Tokyo to get it, then Madrid. Watched a news report today saying Madrid have lost out twice in recent years. The decision about whether certain sports will make the 2020 Olympic Games is due soon, one sport is Wrestling. Still surprised that got cut.

There was an OTL yesterday about Wrestling getting cut and it was pretty much stated that it got on the block cause no one from the Commuitty was lobbing for it while other sports where.

If NBC wanted to triple the ratings for Olympic wrestling, they should put Sonnen and Sheiky in the commentary booth.

Glad wrestling's back as its one of those "Only at the Olympics" sports I'll stay up until 2 am to watch every four years. However, I really hope they get rid of that "Pick a marble out of a bag" overtime gimmick. I'm convinced somebody at the IOC saw that in London and was like, "this sport has gotten ridiculous."

So people are actually excited to see two guys score 1-1 and basically have olympic medals determined by weather a blue or red ball is pulled out of a bag? Or did amateur wrestling actually get the message and scrap that horse shit? Because if that's all it is going to be there's not much to get excited over.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah... Sochi. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/26/ioc-sochi-olympics-russia-anti-gay-law_n_3994761.html?ir=Gay+Voices&ref=topbar

The International Olympic Committee doesn't have the authority to intervene in Russia's law banning gay propaganda and is convinced there will be no discrimination against athletes or spectators at the Winter Games in Sochi, a top Olympic official said Thursday.

I wonder how many rubles it took to buy that statement out of the IOC.   This is going to end well.

• 2 months later...

Germany and United States men and China and Japan women squads qualified for the Olympic tourney:

Teams:
Men:
Russia
Canada
Sweden
Great Britain
Norway
Denmark
China
Switzerland
Germany
United States

Women:
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland
Great Britain
Canada
United States
Denmark
South Korea
China
Japan

I look forward to another Olympics of silly pants, metal videos, topless Danish curlers and what members of the curling teams we will all sexually disappoint.

Swedish Women's Curling: More Metal Than You!

• Like 1

Some of my favorite memories involve being wasted drunk and watching Women's Olympic curling in a bar.

The TV was on mute and we'd just try to figure out the rules and scoring. We had favorites and watched tons of curling the week that NBC would show it during late night.

Man 2002 (I think) was amazing. I hope it was a good year for curling. I meant mostly for me.

The "When will Jennifer Jones have a total meltdown game where she outthinks herself and loses to some crap team" over/under is set at 3.5 games. I predict under, but she should bring home a gold medal for Canada, and if she does, I think she retires after that.

I'd imagine this will be THE sport everyone talks about on here in a few weeks when the Olympics start.

I am a huge curling fan. My wife and I love obscure sports and curling stole our hearts during the last Olympics. We even managed to plan an unofficial curling gold medal game watch party at a bar in Philly last Olympics. We may do the same this time, too.

Anyways, in advance of Curling Mania, my wife and I took lessons last night. It was so much fun but man oh man curling is a LOT harder than you think.

First off, being on ice is hard if you didn't grow up ice skating or in Canada. Just walking on ice is difficult at first. Sliding and gliding (we had booty's on one shoe) is even more difficult.

The position curlers used to move down the ice is REALLY challenging to get into. I constantly fell anytime I tried to slide down the ice -- and that included a device to hold in the off-hand for balancing. It really requires a decent amount of core strength and glutes and hamstrings flexible enough to not pull to do this consistently, let alone consistently well.

How anyone develops the touch to curl well is completely beyond me. The target is SO FRIGGIN' FAR AWAY. It's about 150 feet away in official events -- I'm not sure of the exact distance where we were at (ice ring in suburban Philly) but it definitely looked like that. I mean, we were just lucky to get the things either halfway down the ice or would overcompensate and send them flying way past the target.

Each stone is also different from the other, which I didn't realize until last night. All of them are 42 pounds but are sanded differently. The different sanding makes a difference in how fast each one will move and curl.

These things also can really curl and/or not curl. It's really interesting. There are two grips each curler can use (one tilts the handle at 10 o'clock and the other at 2) that determine the type of spin the curl will have. The ice also makes a huge difference. Each ice rink is naturally different from wear and tear and have dead spots and/or spots where the things will pick up some momentum.

Sweeping really does matter, too. Fast sweeping really does give the stone a little bit of an extra oomph moving down the ice.

I have no idea how the coaches who taught us yesterday can judge where to send the stones and/or how and when you need to broom.

Curling is also a giant social event. The curling club wrapped up before our training session began. All the dudes cracked open some cold ones. Apparently that's as big a part of the game as the game itself -- losers buy first round but usually that's far from the only round.

A+. We have one more lesson to go. I would totally keep curling if it wasn't so far from my house.