DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The event started at 9 am. By the time he got to beer 3 and 4, it was at least 9:30.

Best part of that story was that he missed the end of the match (Canada won a few ends early), because he was in line for more beers. :)

• Like 1

If you had told me at any point in my life before a week ago that "at one point one of the greatest things you'll ever see in an Olympics is an ice dance performance" I'd have laughed you out of the room, but my God. That was transcendent. Virtue and Moir have to be the greatest ice dance team that's ever lived.

• Like 1

Well now, the men are actually in the semifinals of the curling I think, big win over Great Britain 10-4 (including an 8th end steal of FOUR). So they will play Canada in the semi-finals, while Great Britain and Switzerland will play off for the final medal round spot

2 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Wow - Germany top the Swedes in the Hockey QF - play Canada now in the semi-final 

No offense to our Canadian friends here, but I hope Germany wins the entire thing. Not just because it would be a shocking result, but I think it could do tons to make Ice Hockey a bigger deal in Germany, which would be great for hockey in general.

As expected, this Canada/USA game has been pretty, pretty great. I love how both teams are trying to skirt around the no bodychecking rule as much as possible (which is a pretty silly rule).

The difference in play between this and the first tournament in 98 is crazy. Stickhandling ability is especially night and day.

• Like 1

Yeah, that was a fun one. Disappointed with the finish, but Lamoureux's shootout move was sick and the Americans really did play much better in the 3rd and OT. I will forever be mad at the Canadian coach for only playing that 8 players after the 2nd.

Szabados is a fucking legend and the only reason this was a game.

Canada need to examine the fact that in the last 30 minutes of that game they were too slow, clearly beaten for fitness, and didn't really string 3 passes together. The better team did win. Hopefully USA Hockey wake up and actually, get this, pay their players.

• Like 1

Dummy Mike Harris says Koe is curling great. Koe proceeds to wreck on a draw, and then totally flub a draw, and loses to a vastly less talented American team. Cannot determine who I like less, Dummy Mike Harris or Kevin Koe himself.

Canada is two medals away from tying their best ever Winter Olympics haul, and that's with women's curling flaming out before the playoffs, and the men's team possibly not getting a medal.

I was disappointed to see not that many people for a gold medal game, but the women's hockey game was awesome.  It seemed like Canada really sabotaged themselves a lot of times.  If it wasn't the penalties it was them tiring out late in the game.  I don't know how they did in earlier rounds, but if they didn't have those issues then I could easily see them winning gold.  But the US team did a great job and so glad to see them win gold.  And like Turk128 pointed out that deke was some next-level stuff.

1 hour ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Hey they stripped a Russian athlete of his bronze medal for a doping violation.  Guess which sport it was in?

Wrong, it was curling.

It was the same substance that earned Maria Sharpova her forced vacation from Tennis.

That wasn't even the best deke in the shootout. One of the Canadian women deked the United States goalie right out of the fucking net.

Refs were actively terrible with the penalty calls for the first two periods of that game. Retaliation gets called on one team, clear interference goes by without even a thought by the other team. Canada was winning at that point, so you can't blame the refs for the loss.