DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

15 hours ago, elizium said:

Blair's a great pick. Heiden maybe had the single greatest Games ever, but it was the only one that he competed in. I feel like longevity needs to be a factor as well.

Sonja Henie, then? Though we should downplay Nazi sympathizers.

On 2/15/2018 at 6:20 AM, sabremike said:

Our curling team is a national disgrace! Who wants to riot on the streets of NYC with me in protest?

Rachel Homan's Team Canada women's team is 0-3 right now, and made everyone angry by removing a rock that got hit by a broom as it was coming to a stop last night. Failing to make the playoff round as a Canadian curling team might be grounds for deportation.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Alexei Yashin as a hockey analyst now is super weird to me for some reason, but he was a really neat out of left field choice by CBC/TSN.

Islanders are no longer paying him so he's gotta make a living somehow.

• Like 1

Oh. my. Goodness.

The leader was already starting to give post race interviews, when out of absolutely NOWHERE, Ester Ledecka comes down to win the women's Super-G skiing by .01.

Her  season's best in the World Cup? 19th. (she had a 7th last season)

She was 43rd int he World Cup standings 

Oh, and the fact is, she was racing on borrowed skis, because she's really here for the SNOWBOARDING EVENTS next week.

And a big oopsie to NBC, who had already anointed the gold medalist, but then again, who could've seen this coming

• Like 6

Ledecka was great. Her dumbfounded stare as she tried to make sense of the leaderboard, telling the cameraman "No" when he told her she had the lead. Her run was great too, really unassuming. The Canadian announcers were just casually talking about her potential and how she schedules her snowboard/ski training and then with about a third of her run left they were like "um, look at her time...."

She didn't "look" like that she was going that fast, but she absolutely nailed every curve and landing.

A possible interesting twist about Ester Ledecka:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2018/02/17/could-fast-skier-ester-ledecka-and-fast-swimmer-katie-ledecky-be-distant-cousins/

The New York Times reported in November that there is no relation, but neither Olympian seems as certain. Asked following her race Saturday whether she was aware of any family ties, Ledecka said, “I don’t know. I hope so. She is great.”

The Ledecky family is also not sure and leaves open the possibility that the two might be distant cousins.

The swimmer’s paternal grandfather, Jaromir Ledecky, was born in Czechoslovakia and came to the United States in 1947, eventually becoming an economist with a PhD from NYU. Ledecka’s father is named Janek Ledecky. He is a popular musician in the Czech Republic and has been putting out albums for more than 30 years. Before Jaromir passed away in 2011, he used to share Janek’s CDs with his family, telling them that the singer was a distant cousin. Ledecky’s father, David, says there could possibly be a connection dating back to Katie’s great-great grandfather, but no one knows for certain.

part of why South Park made such an ironic big deal about Brian Boitano is that he was an unironic big deal.

I still remember Calgary 88 (a little bit).  Team USA won 6 medals.

Not six goal medals.  Six medals.

2-1-3

Brian Boitano, Bonnie Blair, and The JOB Squad.

My seven year old nephew has been obsessed with watching the games and has been wonderful with his glee and joy at what he’s seeing. He did tell me that he thinks Figure Skating is boring. I told him, “ Yeah, it is. But your mom loves it.” And he watched it tonight with her and didn’t complain. He’s a great kid.

• Like 4

Nothing like a bar full of people in Canada completely ignoring the NHL game on the television, and instead watching every run of the ski slopestyle event last night, and gasping whenever someone bit the dust. Fun times had by all (especially those coming up with sibling names for the poor lad named Teal who was competing).

• Like 1

Slopestyle on either ski or snowboard is absolutely outrageous. You just can't look away. I don't really think the X-Games influence on the summer games has been worth a shit (does anyone actually care about the BMX racing gold?), but the X-Games influence on the winter games has added so much to the event overall.

• Like 3