DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

"Caught up in a lot of that awfulness" is a very polite way of putting it.

The hockey tourney should be pretty fun, I really don't know what to expect from the quality of play. Does anyone think that Russia won't win? They're the only country that could ice a "professional" roster.

As for what to look for...uh...projected #1 pick Rasmus Dahlin on Sweden I guess? All the ex-pat Canadian white guys populating South Korea's roster? I'm a little disappointed that more old dudes weren't dragged out. I mean, there's some guys like Brian Gionta, but there's no way Teemu Selanne has anything better to do. Is it too late to add Jagr to the Czech roster?

I'm not huge into hockey but will catch it when it's on.  Curling is still one of my favorites to watch, especially if the Czech Republic has the wacky designs like they did before.  Don't really care that much for the other sports.

The Russian hockey team certainly has some uh, veterans. Like, Datsyuk is there even though he retired. Kovalchuk is apparently still playing.

Gotta admit I'm so bummed about what could have been here. We've been cheated out of seeing Crosby, Stamkos, McDavid, and Tavares on the same goddamn team, apparently because the NHL can't take a break that long! Except they added a bye week instead. The Oilers played 4 games in 22 days in January/early February, now they have to play 33 in 66, which is exactly how bumfucked the schedule would have been if the NHL went anyway. NONSENSE

I will as always watch like 12 hours of Olympics coverage a day, resulting in very strong opinions about sports I know nothing about.

Coins are not racist.  They are always fair and impartial.  We learned this from The Dark Knight and No Country For Old Men.

I know that Shani is upset and all and he has a good reason to have issue with the cliquish nature of US Olympic athletes, but there's no reason to start any shit before the games start. 

Be happy for Erin and win us some gold, homie.

For sixteen days in February, a divided US may finally show some semblance of unity as we pull for our ALL of athletes to strike gold.  Let's try to fucking gel, people.

I for one cannot wait for Shaun mother fucking White to carve up Pyeongchang like a T-Bone Steak.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J.T. said:

I for one cannot wait for Shaun mother fucking White to carve up Pyeongchang like a T-Bone Steak.

Me too.  And after that Super Bowl commercial showing him to the tune of "Iron Man"  I'm even more excited to see him kick some ass.

36 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Whole mess of mixed curling overnight and early this AM. (The time difference will be good for us overnight workers with the NBCSN app on our phones.)

I watched some last night on my tablet - it was the end of the SK/Finland match. (Finland's lady player was cute)

Truthfully, it's the first time I have properly watched Curling. I am not 100% on how the scoring works, etc. But it was a lot more engaging than I expected. 

Good times. 

• Like 1

I don't know how many Canadians caught it last night after the start of the curling, but the documentarly on Mark McMorris was really good. The shit that guy has put his body through is pretty hard to process. I am "BE CAREFUL YOUNG MAN" years old with some of these snowboarders, man.

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Opening Ceremony spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

Shirtless Tongan flag bearer is back.

Oh, for fuck's sake.  Well, good for those into that I guess.

There is something truly wonderful watching curling before going to bed.  Only thing to make it better is watching it live while getting ready for work.  I'm starting to grasp and appreciate the details of it all and it's truly captivating to watch.

• Like 1