DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

• 1 month later...

I just discovered that NBC sports is streaming a ton of the US Championships for winter Olympic sports, which are essentially the qualifiers at this point.  

Watched the entire 2 day ladies figure skating Championships and was sad to see they left both Ashley Wagner and Starr Andrews off the Olympic team.  Sure, they came in 4th and 6th but they were the only two to show even a hint of a personality- and if we're probably going to get shut out of the medals anyway, why not at least send the entertaining ones.  

I mean ... you have a girl who has the balls to not only sing her own version of One Moment in Time, but use that as her freaking song for her long program and goes out there and nails it.  If she's anywhere close to qualifying, let her go.  

The DPRK and ROK are going to field a combined women's hockey team for the first time ever.  Athletes from both countries will walk together in the Opening Ceremonies.

https://deadspin.com/north-korea-and-south-korea-agree-to-form-joint-olympic-1822150539

Heads need to roll at MSU for that, but I have no faith in the school or NCAA doing anything substantive.

The IOC USA Gymnastics cut official ties with the Karolyi Ranch today after literally decades of allegations of mistreatment.

https://deadspin.com/reports-michigan-state-president-lou-anna-simon-will-s-1822396549?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow The piece of shit president of Michigan State, who allowed him to keep "practicing" on patients after learning of the allegations against him for 18 FUCKING MONTHS, is resigning tommorrow. 

As a father of a nine year old that's in the US Gymnastics feeder program, and she looked apon Bela as a god and one day hoped to do a week training program at the Ranch, I have no fucking clue how and when to clue her in on the bad shit.  I mean, I hope it's all gone now, but I'm not naive enough to believe that.

• Sad 1

Kim Jong Un said that he was looking forward to the Koreans performing well in the upcoming Olympics.  He did not refer to any of the athletes as NKs or SKs.

Shit can't get too quiet on the peninsula otherwise I may be out of a job.  I make most of my OT during the big Spring and Summer joint readiness exercises between 8th Army and the ROK Armed Forces

16 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

https://deadspin.com/reports-michigan-state-president-lou-anna-simon-will-s-1822396549?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow The piece of shit president of Michigan State, who allowed him to keep "practicing" on patients after learning of the allegations against him for 18 FUCKING MONTHS, is resigning tommorrow. 

I used this line elsewhere but it fits too perfect here: she needs to resign the same exact way Budd Dwyer did. The big difference is that someone did a documentary a few years back on Dwyer that showed he was innocent of what he was accused of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

As a father of a nine year old that's in the US Gymnastics feeder program, and she looked apon Bela as a god and one day hoped to do a week training program at the Ranch, I have no fucking clue how and when to clue her in on the bad shit.  I mean, I hope it's all gone now, but I'm not naive enough to believe that.

Considering they're now investigating the Ranch, and there've been reports of physical and mental abuse by Karolyi and company for decades, it's not looking promising.

I think the USOC is pissed.   

The US Olympic Committee has demanded that the entire board of USA Gymnastics resign by Wednesday or they will lose certification as the governing body of the sport. 

Thankfully,  USAG did NOT call The OC's bluff and the entire 19 remaining board members have resigned.  They now have until 2/28 to install an interim Board or the USOC will decertify them.  Then the coaches and staff have 90 days to complete harassment and assault training, or the OC Decertify's them.  Then They have until 1/31/19 to install a permanent Board, or the USOC will decertify them.

I wish the NCAA was as strict.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I'm planning on trying to follow is hockey, men's and women's. With the absence of the Russian women's curling team curling is dead to me and I think there is a chance I could get through a hockey game without three profiles of Lyndsey Vonne and Shaun White....maybe.

So, international hockey weirdos, what should I have my eye out for?  Anything I should set the DVR for instead of just watching whatever happens to be on when I'm up?