DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

4 hours ago, Robert C said:

That adds an exciting new element to the distance swimming events - finish before the dysentery symptoms start.

I they time it right that rocket burst might just give them a real advantage reaching for the finish.

• Like 2

It's not like they're getting paid for this or it leads to some exciting professional career in any of those sports. Fuck the dream, just quit the damn games, it's not worth it.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 11:48 PM, evilwaldo said:

This is a great example.  Cycling.  Everyone builds a velodrome but does anyone actually compete on a professional level?  Do we need a brand new facility that gets used once?  Can we change cycling to a 10 stage Tour de France/Marathon type event which does not require a building?

Do we need sports like Judo and Equestrian that nobody watches?  Do they need buildings?  Can we cut the sports or use existing facilities?  

These are important questions the Olympics need to ask themselves.

1. If Judo is cut, I am slashing your tires. 
  2. I admire the skill of riders in the Equestrian events but yeah, I often wonder if it should be considered to be an Olympic sport.
  3. Cycling will stay indoors for fear of Zika or the favelas accidentally being seen on television.
  • Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 0:57 AM, Ryan said:

Can we add Judo Equestrian?

Jousting as an Olympic Sport?  Fuck yeah!

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 6:32 PM, supremebve said:

Look up Winifer Fernandez.  Your volleyball lust can and will thrive indoors.

Yeah, looking at that for too long is sure to earn me a liver kick from the almost missus.

It is bad enough that I earn withering glares whenever Allyson Felix is on the starting blocks.

10 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, looking at that for too long is sure to earn me a liver kick from the almost missus.

It is bad enough that I earn withering glares whenever Allyson Felix is on the starting blocks.

My recommendations are taken at your own risk.  If I tell you to look up a fine ass Dominican volleyball player, I accept no responsibility for any damage to your 4 hour erection, your liver, or your relationship.  I just open the door, you have to take responsibility if you choose to go through it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J.T. said:
  1. If Judo is cut, I am slashing your tires. 
  2. I admire the skill of riders in the Equestrian events but yeah, I often wonder if it should be considered to be an Olympic sport.
  3. Cycling will stay indoors for fear of Zika or the favelas accidentally being seen on television.

They still have Dressage as an event right?I think that could go. . . 

• Like 1

Some IOC committee evaluated different sports that tried to get into the program for Tokyo and five sports were selected: surfing, karate, baseball/softball, skateboarding and sports climbing. All sports were proposed by the Tokyo organising committee. From what I understand there will be a vote next Wednesday on this issue.

Yeah - they do this before every Olympics

The sports that are popular in the host countries tend to get priority.

It has been assumed that baseball/softball will get back in after the outcry after it was eliminated

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:22 PM, Robert s said:

Some IOC committee evaluated different sports that tried to get into the program for Tokyo and five sports were selected: surfing, karate, baseball/softball, skateboarding and sports climbing. All sports were proposed by the Tokyo organising committee. From what I understand there will be a vote next Wednesday on this issue.

I can see Karate since there is already Judo and yeah, baseball / softball, but let's keep stuff like skateboarding, and surfing and sports climbing relegated to forums like the X-Games.

I can give snowboarding a pass since it is almost like skiing.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 6:55 AM, J.T. said:

I can see Karate since there is already Judo and yeah, baseball / softball, but let's keep stuff like skateboarding, and surfing and sports climbing relegated to forums like the X-Games.

I can give snowboarding a pass since it is almost like skiing.

The Winter Olympics desperately needed to add events to give out medals in anyway. The Summer Olympics have no such issue, so the less they add, the better.

On 8/1/2016 at 0:31 PM, odessasteps said:

Since its Tokyo, make Pokemon Go an Olympic event. 

If it leads to Picachu getting a gold medal then I'm all for it.

• Like 4

I now have an extra 8 Olympics channels on my cable box (technically 16, because they're all in both H and Normal D). Which is less than the 12 I had 4 years ago, but I'll take it. We aren't the host nation this time. Nothing on any of them yet, mind.

On 29/07/2016 at 10:22 PM, Robert s said:

Apparently the only reason Tae Kwon Do is an Olympic sport is because years ago Karate couldn't get it's shit together - there's a bunch of different types of Karate and they all wanted their version to be the Olympic one. And rather than sort out a compromise, they just argued for ages, so Tae Kwon Do (which only has one set of rules) slid in and took the spot.

18 hours ago, Ryan said:

They'll genetically engineer a real one and it'll electrocute half the stadium.

It will be the cutest mass murder ever!!!