DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Wow, just finished the US-Canada women's hockey final. That was epically bad officiating in the overtime. I mean, it was "NHL playoff refs are laughing" bad. No excuse for blowing a 2 goal lead with less than three minutes to go but the atrocious ending really soured what was an otherwise fantastic game.

Also watched Canada's Gold medal curling win over Sweden. Now I'm an American whose curling experience is creeping on, er, watching about a dozen matches every four years so I'm probably talking out my ass but the Swedes cost themselves with some really dumb strategy. Canada played well and the Swedes missed big shots down the stretch - and The Curling Gods gifted Canada yet another fortuitous pick! - but I thought their skip made some pretty goofy shot calls.

Glad Canada won tho. Jones was definitely the Tom Brady of the tourney, just constantly bailing out teammates with brilliant play. Sad to hear she's likely retiring although I won't complain if the team is skipped by that JLaw lookalike vice skip in the next Olympics.

Also, Ryan Fry is a sissy for running away from Manitoba because he could never be better than Burtnyk/Stoughton/Peters/McEwan. And that turrible tattoo on his arm. So terrible...

Vic Peters! Now that's a curling team. Spoilered for middle-aged Canadianness.

ROTR-Carey-1992-Brier-champs-resized.jpg

I almost sort of miss curlers looking like this. They're all, like, actually training now.

The dream is dead for you and I.

The future of the Jones team will probably be discussed seriously in the next few months. Jones has a young child with a curler from Ontario, and there's a pretty good chance now that the Olympics are done she is moving out there to put the family together (she's a lawyer in real life, so she can work pretty much wherever she wants). Not sure Jill Officer keeps curling if Jones is gone, since they have been together on the same team since they were juniors. Kaitlyn Lawes will be skipping somewhere, either here or in Saskatchewan (she's dating a curler from there, apparently). 

Two full days of competition to go, then gold medal hockey on Sunday. It's been pretty fun to watch, even with the time difference meaning I miss too many events to sleep. 

Why is the Gold Medal figure skater winner like a half a mile away from the ice when they announce the score?  She looked like she was trying to do a Doom II speed run trying to get there.

To make it seem like it was a huge upset instead of screwing over Kim Yuna :P

and 11-0 for Jones. Not bad at all

Another gold in curling, gold and silver in women's ski cross, and a bronze in men's short track 500, getting Canada to 9 golds and 24 medals.

Even though we will likely finish with less golds than Vancouver (14 gold, 26 overall), you can make a strong case that this has been Canada's best Olympics ever. There's no homefield bump with this one.