DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Canada keeps piling 2-3 rocks in the house and Schuster keeps landing shots just wear he needs to. Heck of a game so far.

The Canadian announcers are completely dumbfounded by the shots he's making.

Shuster needs to twist his hat around whenever he's about to make a shot. Lincoln Hawk style.

Just when I sing his praises, Trucker Hat throws his first bad stone of the game to let Canada score 2 to go up 1 with one end left.

And last end was everybody aiming for the button, this end everybody is throwing guards.

Edit: And the US loses another game by the narrowest of margins. Unfortunately, we didn't get the Protractor of Doom this time.

Great last shot but that shot before it was utterly terrible. Yep, I put the jinx on ATH.

Snowboard events are my favourite Winter Olympics sports.

Women's snowboard cross quarter-finals are on right now and it's dramatic with six in each heat racing one another. When I think of the event, its the falls and one name in particular: Lindsey Jacobellis and the 2006 Winter Olympics Games. Remember that? Holy shit.

Horrible horrible news... I turn on curling just in time to see the Swedish skip make yet another deadeye shot to win a game in the final end. The loss means Putin's Angels are eliminated from womens playoff contention.

I feel like posting pics of cute cuddly puppies to express my sadness but considering the thread, that's probably not appropriate.

I saw that. It was a hell of a shot. Sweden is not too shabby in the looks department themselves...  Well, at least one of them that I saw anyway. Obviously, nothing beats the Russian Fed beauties. The U.S. women's luge team appears to be good looking and fun.

I was more excited to see the start of the two-man bobsled, however. I don't know if they'll show it on NBC tonight. It was good stuff. I didn't understand why BMW designed our bobsleds. What the hell is that about? Foreign makers designing our stuff? Haven't we been down this road before?

Yeah, I've given up on the US women, who have shamefully mailed it in, and have moved over to GB-Russia. Plus, it's the last match for Russia so it'll be my last chance to watch Putin's Angels.

At least, I think its their last one. Earlier today the US commentator said Russia was eliminated but this British dude just said they're still alive.

Anyway, a really good match do far. The 6th end was bizarre with everybody missing shots badly until EVE~! buried one forcing the Angels to settle for only one. Boy, the way these BBC announcers are absolutely torching Vicki Adams, they should try watching the scrubs we have.

If the NBC programming director is still up, he'd be smart to make an executive decision and scrap showing the inept US Women vs Korea and put this Britain-Russia match on instead. What a great contest. I love how EVE~! doesn't just settle for easy lay-ups, she always goes big. If the BBC guy is to be believed, GB has at least clinched a play-in game for the medal rounds so more Eve, Anna, and Vicki!

Although sadly, thus ends the run for the Russian curling women. Dasvidaniya you stone-throwing hotties.

curling-team-russia-500x313.jpg

It's... er... funky on the women's side. Great Britain is guaranteed a semi-final spot if they win against Denmark. Even if they lose, they're likely in. How likely? The BBC Olympics Live Blog just posted this:

If they beat Denmark at 15:06 GMT, they're through in third place. If they lose and Japan lose, they're still through. And if they lose and Japan win, they enter into elimination matches on Tuesday which would be between GB, Japan and the winner of China v Switzerland. And breathe. I'll put the abacus away now (....) According to the World Curling Federation, Great Britain will progress to the semi-finals in 14 of the possible 16 remaining scenarios regardless of the result against Denmark after Japan beat China 8-3....

On the men's side: Great Britain beats China, they'll guarantee at least a tie for 3rd. (China, GB and possibly Norway depending on their result against Pants, I mean Denmark) would all be 6-3, requiring a 3 team playoff for two semifinal places. If they win, and Norway loses, they're in, if they both lose, Norway and Great Britain will playoff for the final semi final place)