DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

This Luge Relay is the awesomeist thing I've ever seen.  I'm wondering if you can adapt this to Bobsled.

Then you figure how to do this with Skeleton.

I gotta say, I'm digging the team format to a couple of the traditionally individual sports, like the Figure Skate and Luge.

Well those damned Norwegians don't play real sports, they just ski. We need to find a way to beat those evil bastards somehow.

Not to mention the damn Netherlands and their evil speed skating army (I saw a story about a famous Netherlands skating tournament that's still the most popular in all the land, despite the fact that the conditions have to be so perfect for it to happen, it hasn't happened since 1997!!)

Well those damned Norwegians don't play real sports, they just ski. We need to find a way to beat those evil bastards somehow.

Not to mention the damn Netherlands and their evil speed skating army (I saw a story about a famous Netherlands skating tournament that's still the most popular in all the land, despite the fact that the conditions have to be so perfect for it to happen, it hasn't happened since 1997!!)

"You may not realize this, but despite an entire generation having never attended the event, it's a very well attended event!"

They just let all these extreme sports in so we can wrack up the medal count, right?

Us too! If it wasn't for slopestyle and moguls, it would be a super slow start for Canada.

moguls is an extreme sport?  It's been in the olympics as long as I've been watching.

Curse you Hans Brinker and your silver skates.

Curse you Hans Brinker and your silver skates.

Although they have the hague, the dutch are also cannon fodder for most of the wars of the past few centuries. Let them have something. . . 

...is Al Michaels.  Meridith is just as bad.  

I expect her telling is to Google it about 10 times.

Also, fuck off NBC, you knew 8 hours before hand that Plyschinko had withdrawn, yet you air that fluff package, then air his withdrawl.  Then have the three stooges call it, when the 3 daytimers called it with much more reverance.

Also called the dudes fall way better than Hamilton "oohing" over it, then yelling again when dude finishes his routine.  And you still gave more fluff to Yugeni than our boy.

But I suppose that's the awesome, "Prime Time Package" that you keep telling us makes it better.  God I hope CBS or Disney gets the contract after 2020.

...is Al Michaels.  Meridith is just as bad.  

I expect her telling is to Google it about 10 times.

Also, fuck off NBC, you knew 8 hours before hand that Plyschinko had withdrawn, yet you air that fluff package, then air his withdrawl.  Then have the three stooges call it, when the 3 daytimers called it with much more reverance.

Also called the dudes fall way better than Hamilton "oohing" over it, then yelling again when dude finishes his routine.  And you still gave more fluff to Yugeni than our boy.

But I suppose that's the awesome, "Prime Time Package" that you keep telling us makes it better.  God I hope CBS or Disney gets the contract after 2020.

I don't disagree with you on any of it. But they weren't going to give is Al or Dan Patrick. Tracy can go pleasure  her self with a chainsaw for all I care. Finally watched the daytime coverage yesterday, and its night and day better than this prime time crap.  Oh I hate this soft video crap. . . 

As far as curling goes, I do like hearing the calls - and the cussing - so the commentary-less streams are pretty cool. Although I really like that British announcer that goes solo for some matches. He's much better than the curling broadcast A-team.

Anyway, I'm watching the US-Russia men's curling match and you gotta love the clueless homerism of the Russian fans. The Frat Boyz nearly steal 2 without the hammer but the second rock is close meaning the officials need to trot out the PROTRACTOR OF DOOM~!

Turns out we only steal one but from the crowd still roars when they say "Red in" as if averting a near meltdown is worthy of riotous applause.

• Like 1

And Angry Trucker Hat, the US skip, botches a shot that leaves Russia with a tricky but fairly makeable tap-out for 2 to take the lead into the 10th but the Russian skip overthrows it and takes out both ours and one of his handing us the hammer and a tie game in the 10th. And the crowd goes wild....

Yep, their knowledge of curling is like a typical American watching soccer...

A winter version of the decathlon would be pretty bad ass.  The person who competed in 10 events of various skiing, snowboarding, skating, and sliding would be a hell of a person.  Some would likely die.

Cross country, ski jumping, downhill skiing, downhill snowboarding, jumping off high things, luge, face first luge, snow fort building, dogsled racing, beer drinking.

CANADIAN DECATHLON EH

And the US men shit the bed with the hammer in the 10th. The US skip throws two terrible stones and Russia steals the point and the victory. Coupled with the US women losing this morning to Denmark and we have yet another terrible day for American curling.

It started off so well, too, with the Frat Boyz pulling off a crazy win over Germany, whose skip may or may not have been distracted by his plans to take over Nakatomi Plaza. The US only scored in two ends but put up a 4 spot twice(?) while Germany tried to kill them with paper cuts. Then in the 10th, the Germans nearly stole a 2 spot when the referee called a double touch on a US stone which everybody said they had never seen before.

You know, between Angry Trucker Hat's fits of rage, the cute Danish girl dropping an F-bomb in this morning's women's match, and the saucy Scottish ladies always cussing under their breath, these curling broadcasts probably should be rated TV-MA.

A winter version of the decathlon would be pretty bad ass.  The person who competed in 10 events of various skiing, snowboarding, skating, and sliding would be a hell of a person.  Some would likely die.

Cross country, ski jumping, downhill skiing, downhill snowboarding, jumping off high things, luge, face first luge, snow fort building, dogsled racing, beer drinking.

CANADIAN DECATHLON EH

Add in competitive driveway shoveling and we have ourselves an event.

• Like 1