DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

The Mary Carillo thing is really magic. I've watched it about five times already. It's a legitimately great.

I love how it builds. It is something that's a textbook Olympic piece for the differences between the recreation sports -- badminton, table tennis, kayaking -- that we play and the stuff the experts actually use. And then the transition is brilliant -- "However, THIS birdie has a tree-seeking device" and off she goes into this ridiculously detailed rant about backyard badminton. Her dropping names -- Christopher Burr, it's ALWAYS Christopher Burr -- is what puts this over the top. No one's watching at 3 AM when this aired. No one gives a crap about badminton. Why not make the three minutes you have to fill something that we can all understand but not express in this brilliant, insane way?

Man, this is seriously epic and I'm stealing so much from this.

• Like 1

Gotta love the trogolodytes over at the ESPN comments.

On an article about the USA (spoiler)

winning gold and bronze in the women's snowboard halfpipe

"All of our golds have been won in stoner events and our political statement is standing up for homosexulatiy. Wow. What a nation."

I told them that he was a dinosaur, and just like the dinosaur, he was soon to be extinct.

US Men definitely played like shite this morning but I think their inability to score was also also due to GB's style. Evidently Britain employs the curling equivalent of the neutral zone trap.

What a boring match. Just shot-peel-shot-peel rinse, wash, repeat.

I caught the GB-Canada Women's match when I got home from work yesterday and that was some top-notch curling. Not to pile on the US Women but watching Britain and Canada, it's like they're playing a totally different game. Jones would hit a crazy peel back double, then two ends later EVE~! would hit a clutch runback save and back and forth it went. Just an absolutely awesome match.

And I know it's prelims but what guts on EVE~! to go for the insane triple knock out for the win instead of just laying up for the tie after Canada completely bungled the final end. I hope those two teams meet again. 

NBC's totally fucked for the night Figure Skating programs as far as storylines are concerned.  Plashinko tweaks his back in warmup and withdrawls, removing the odds on favorate and "one last run" story.  And then our skater, Jermery Abbott wipes out early and takes 15 seconds to get up.

At least right now, Abbott has a score high enough to make out a redemption story for tonight/tomorrow.