DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

I was displeased when Team Steroid won the Canadian trials. They rely too much on making big weight takeouts, which is nice when they grab the lead early, but if they trail, they get into trouble. Would have preferred Jeff Stoughton or Glenn Howard's teams to qualify, as a nice way to cap off their careers.

Not that I planned on watching much figure skating anyway, but CBC has some woman with a phoney-sounding British accent that makes me angry.

There is one sport I am really paying attention to and both US teams are competing at the same time. Thanks Olympics. Grr...

At least I caught basically the start of the US/China (women's) while the US/Denmark was far enough along.

I did enjoy the announcers trying to claim that the men were playing well despite losing. I was thinking "Well at least THEY didn't give up 7 in a single end..."

You may want to watch tonight: Women's Downhill Spoiler

The first ever time that there's a TIE FOR THE GOLD MEDAL, as Switzerland's Dominique Gisin and Slovenia's Tina Maze have the exact same time (down to the hundredth of a second).. so they both win gold!

It's amazing. Long odds on that.

Shaun White needs to go ahead and pull the Ricky Vaughn in the last 10 minutes of Major League II.  For him that would be letting the hair grow back.  Seriously, he probably just had an off night.  Can he come back and win gold at 32? I don't know.

He lost his superhuman power because he cut his hair.  Ayumu Hirano is no fucking joke.  He's really good but I-Pod was in the zone.

Denny Morrison just won a silver medal for Canada in men's 1000m long track speed skating. Denny wasn't supposed to compete in the 1000 (fell at the Canadian trials), but the guy who won a spot at the Canadian trials texted Denny yesterday to give him his spot, because he had a better chance of winning a medal. How selfless is that?

The interview with the guy who won the spot and gave it up is interesting. It makes it sound like the coaches put a lot of pressure on him. he mentioned being "put into this situation," though it still does come off as selfless to an extent. 

Never saw that story, just saw him getting interviewed on CBC this morning and him telling the story about texting his teammate, who started running through Canada House to find him to see if it was a prank or not.

And whatever event that dancing lady is entered in, I hope she wins and does that on the top step of the podium.