DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Peter the Great, Richard the Lionhearted... Other countries have such cool nicknames for their legendary leaders. I wish we would've carried on that tradition and done that with some of ours.

Washington the Red Coat Slayer has such a nice ring...

What about Zachary "Old Rough & Ready" Tyler?

Not to be that guy, but it was Zachary Taylor, and John Tyler..

Doh!

I know we have a Sochi Hockey thread, but that's aimed at the men.. watching the Swiss/Canada game. The Swiss goalie is basically living a "Not going anywhere for a while" commercial, with 6 minutes to play, Canada's up 5-0, but it could be a hell of a lot worse, as Canada has SIXTY FIVE shots on goal

Its amazing, because the standard NBC Sports site is just fine and dandy when I'm looking to watch PL and hockey games and such.  But the Olympics site is such a clusterfuck its amazing.

I didnt have any problems with the NBC sports app this morning.

But i also plan on most of my watching to be from other sources.

---

Also, which will be the Men's Hockey thread? The NHL feb thread or the non-NHL thread?

I agree but it is a fascinating question. Can you imagine that creative meeting? "How do we represent the murder and oppression of millions of people through dance and puppetry?"

Every time they referenced Putin's level of creative control I kept picturing him as Corky St Clair from "Waiting For Guffman".

• Like 1

They did such a great job with the summer games but so far this is a mess. stream.nbcolympics.com is apparently the streaming site, but you can't actually get to anything that way. Where are all the commentator-less feeds of what's going on right now? It was all tied to the schedule two years ago so you could watch archery or whatever with a couple of clicks. 

Two sisters meddling in the same event.... that's got to be incredibly rare. Great stuff!

d8804d7d1d6cc9f53b838c8ed2f635c1.jpeg

I don't know which of these are the two that medaled and I don't really care. Canada!

We are now instituting the Freebird Rule for all future moguls tag titles matches.

• Like 4

Yeah on the sisters thing USA women's hockey has twin sisters named Monique and Jocelyne Lamoureux. Guess the Swiss have two pair.

Watching the US-Fin women's hockey game and I'm really trying to like it but the ban on checking continues to bug me. Beside changing the basic rules of the game, it leads to situations where players try to draw PPs by flopping as soon as they sense aggressive contact. If women can handle three rounds of MMA same as men, I think they can handle body checks.

The Fins aren't doing well but damn are they some Nordic beauties. Maybe I need to watch more women's sports but they're the first ladies team I've seen that bothered to wear makeup while playing. I couldn't begin to spell her name but the Fin goalie is a total fox.