DVDVR Message Board

Olympics Omnibus thread

odessasteps

Peter the Great, Richard the Lionhearted... Other countries have such cool nicknames for their legendary leaders. I wish we would've carried on that tradition and done that with some of ours.

Washington the Red Coat Slayer has such a nice ring...

What about Zachary "Old Rough & Ready" Tyler?

I really wish these commentators would shut the hell up. Now is not a time to speak about democracy and the nerve to say "I wonder how they will handle prison camps, etc"  It's like me saying next time we have an Olympics, "hey, I wonder how they will handle slavery and all the terrible inhumane shit we did to the Native Americans!"

Just shut up already.

• Like 5

I really wish these commentators would shut the hell up. Now is not a time to speak about democracy and the nerve to say "I wonder how they will handle prison camps, etc"  It's like me saying next time we have an Olympics, "hey, I wonder how they will handle slavery and all the terrible inhumane shit we did to the Native Americans!"

Just shut up already.

Or drone strikes, wiretapping, foreign prison camps, gay marriage only being legal in a couple states, the gigantic growing unemployment rate, etc.  Other countries probably would bring that shit up.

That was one of the reasons I was happy Brian Williams (the Canadian one) isn't doing the Olympics this year. He has treated them as his own personal political platform for a quarter of a century.

MacLean and Mansbridge just wouldn't shut up and I think they could have let a less is more approach in there, but they kept the politicking to a reasonable, expected amount.

I gotta say, although it'll get me labeled as UnAmerican or some stupid shit nowadays..

The Russian National Anthem is a beautiful piece of music.

Either it or the French one is the best in the world, probably the Russian one. . . 

Peter the Great, Richard the Lionhearted... Other countries have such cool nicknames for their legendary leaders. I wish we would've carried on that tradition and done that with some of ours.

Washington the Red Coat Slayer has such a nice ring...

What about Zachary "Old Rough & Ready" Tyler?

Not to be that guy, but it was Zachary Taylor, and John Tyler..