DVDVR Message Board

Forgotten Joshi Matches

Kevin Wilson

Do people mind if I revive this dead forum to upload some Joshi classics that aren't currently online at the usual places that I could locate (DM or Youtube)? No? Excellent!

A few months ago, I ordered a few dozen older Joshi events, ranging from the mid-80s up to 2011 (I know 2011 isn't 'classic' but not a lot of Joshi from that time period is online). I think there are a lot of forgotten and hidden gems that aren't really discussed, and I hope to highlight some of the better matches I see (not all will be literally classics). The VQ won't always be great, some look like 8th generation VHS converted to DVD, but I will keep the quality as good as I can.

First upload coming here in a bit, I just wanted to do this intro first :) Please note, all my uploads are set to 'private' but please share them if you want to, I only do that to keep away the copyright monster which sweeps DM on a regular basis.

I don't know of a way to embed DM videos on this forum, so just click the link under the picture to open the video over on DailyMotion.

• Like 2

It really is varied, I grabbed a few events from each promotion during different eras to try to get a good overall idea of what all I had missed.

Oh of course anyone can post in this thread as I've love to hear thoughts on any of the matches, I'd rather it not just be only posts of me uploading videos :)

I have all the AJW Classics (well about 100) so I'll be sprinkling in some 80s AJW when she was wrecking the life of the Crush Gals on a weekly basis. I just have to check DM and youtube before I do since I don't want to spend time ripping/uploading a match that is already readily available (unless it has bad VQ and my version is better).

Confirms my opinion that Dump was the greatest heel ever, no one else is even close. I've seen some of the best heat machines in the business and no one, but no one could work a crowd like that woman. She had people running in legit fear for their lives or crying their eyes out at what she was doing to their heroes, simply amazing.

This is not a forgotten match but it is a Classic that I don't think is currently online anywhere.

byR6MRN.jpg
Manami Toyota vs. Kyoko Inoue in AJW on 5/7/95

This match won the Wrestling Observer 1995 Match of the Year, with much controversy in hindsight. It got trashed pretty good over at PWO, but you have to admire their stamina and having a match with an 'epic' feel.

Z8eIkvN.jpg
Tomoko Watanabe and Kumiko Maekawa vs. Etsuko Mita and Mima Shimoda in AJW on 3/4/00

Cage match! In AJW cage matches, you can't win by going out the door or pinfall/submission, a team only wins after both teammates have reached the floor by climbing over the cage. A wrestler that gets out of the cage can go back in if their teammate needs help, but then they have to leave the cage again to win.

Umy9QH7.jpg
Chigusa Nagayo vs. Lioness Asuka in GAEA on 4/4/99

There is a massive backstory to this, but in a nutshell, Lioness Asuka came to GAEA in December of 1998 but instead of lining with her old partner Nagayo, she sided with the heel faction. That eventually led to this match, where if Nagayo lost, she would lose control of the promotion to Asuka. This was a huge match in Japan at the time, with the former partners wrestling against each other in a singles match for the first time in ten years. Even though both had returned to wrestling in the mid-90s they had generally stayed away from each other, so this was a pretty big deal. The event was held in Yokohama Bunka Gymnasium and has a sellout crowd of 6,500.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

oaao11.png
GAEA 2nd Junior All Stars Tournament at Yokohama Buntai (Bunka Taiikukan) 7-19-1997

* Six Man Tag Team Match : Aya Koyama, Miho Kawasaki & Nana Fujimura vs. Hiromi Kato, Rina Ishii & Sakura Hirota
* Singles Match : Miyuki Fujii vs. Sachie Abe
* Tag Team Match : Miyuki Sogabe & Sari Osumi vs. Miho Wakizawa & Nanae Takahashi
* Tag Team Match : Keiko Aono & Miho Watanabe vs. Misae Genki & Tanny Mouse
* Tag Team Match : Bloody Phoenix & Sayuri Okino vs. Maiko Matsumoto & Makie Numao
* Singles Match : Chiharu Ono vs. Tomoko Kuzumi (Azumi Hyuga)
* AJW Junior Title Match : Momoe Nakanishi (c) vs. Sumie Sakai
* Six Man Tag Team Match : Chikayo Nagashima, Reiko Amano & Sugar Sato vs. Kanako Motoya, Yuka Shiina & Yuko Kosugi
* WCW World Women's Cruiserweight Title Match : Toshie Uematsu (c) vs. Yoshiko Tamura
* AAAW Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Title Match : Meiko Satomura & Sonoko Kato (c) vs. Saya Endo & Tomoko Miyaguchi

207xab9.jpg
UWA World Womens Tag Team Championship : GAMI & Rie Tamada (c) vs. Las Cachorras Orientales (Etsuko Mita & Mima Shimoda) from ARSION LIVE SPECIAL HYPER VISUAL FIGHTING CARNIVAL 11/25/01

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bull Nakano & Akira Hokuto vs Combat Toyoda & Megumi Kudo from the FMW 3rd Anniversary Show. 

It's out there on YouTube but I put together the handheld footage with the FMW footage that basically cut the match in half so that people can watch the match in full. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Trocar Slush Weasel said:

Got a request.  There was a Shimoda/Toyota vs Double Inoue tag title match on 6/22/1996.  Haven't been able to find it online.  Anybody got a link for it?

There you go, but this is available on HD at SamuraiTV On 11/1 in AJW Classics #126 

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v14715655xWzGNZQy

• 2 weeks later...