DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

God damn thieves.

I'm a little surprised to see Nunes go into the title fight as the underdog. Her attack is much crisper than Tate's, but I suppose I was saying the same thing going into the Holm fight. Again, Tate's up against a superior athlete with more technique. But, Valentina Shevchenko was able to get Nunes down in round 3, so that's a thing Nunes will have to be wary against. Intriguing fight. Probably the most intriguing fight on the main card, as I feel like the other fights all have a distinct favourite. 

• Like 1

I just having a sinking feeling (not that I'm actively rooting for Miesha) that Amanda may be a bad style matchup. She throws heaters in a style that's not seen often in women's MMA. Maybe the closest approximation would be Alexa Grasso, but Grasso can also throw in volume and that's what makes her an exciting prospect. Sometimes it's few and far between (like you do see later in fighters), but she has cleaned up technique since joining ATT. If this was Strikeforce era Amanda Nunes who was just vicious but extremely raw, it would be a no brainer to pick Tate. She'd just find a way to get on the ground after Nunes ran out of gas in the 60-90 seconds. Now? I dunno. Nunes beat the dogshit out of Zingano before the tide turned, and Amanda was getting virtually suplexed around the cage. My worry is that the ref might jump if Tate is in any sort of trouble. This is one of those times where I wouldn't surprised if the title changed hands on a flash KO. 

On Tuesday, July 05, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Craig H said:

It's now the week of the fight and all I can think is that someone is going to pull out of one of the main card fights.

LOLOLOLOL of course it would be Jon Jones. What a worthless human being. 

• Like 2

Damn it  I wanted the fight to happen so that we can finally get over this one sided feud that was probably going to end up have a 3rd fight anyway because rematches I guess.  Now we are going to wait another six months to a year with the same banter and bullshit from both hateable guys.

The rumor last night was that Mousasi was offered the fight with Cormier. I'm guessing that would be a title fight and not a 3 rounder. That would suck for Marreta since I thought that was a fight he could pull off the upset, but Cormier should get a chance to get his money as well as a cut of the PPV.

• Like 1

DC has also announced that he's willing to fight at 220-225 if it'll get him back on the card. Bisping and Lawlor have also volunteered to face him at LHW.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

FWIW Meltzer is saying that Cormier is going lose out on $4 million if he doesn't fight on Saturday.

Yeah, I would take that Mousasi fight.

Said in the USADA thread, I hope Daniel Cormier gets compensation he deserves for this shitter.

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Somehow I doubt the Filthy Tom fight happens, but our boy is awesome for being willing to fight anyway. I'm hoping it will be Bisping vs DC.

I'm hoping for Daniel Cormier vs. Michael Bisping as well.

On 7/5/2016 at 8:39 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Today is the day everyone (those who aren't in Vegas already) are suppose to arrive in Vegas. So short of weight cutting issues, something USADA related, and organs imploding, a vast majority of the huddles have been cleared. 

It is going to be interested how Hendricks and Aldo look especially with the early weigh-ins. Instead of being optional, they look to be very much mandatory. With Hendricks and Gastelum, you have two dudes who blew weight before. For UFC 200, it would be disastrous for either guy's career to do that for what's pretty much a crossroads fight. Even then, the fight will most likely go on as a catchweight fight.

Craig H and Elsalvajeloco, both of you willed this into reality by talking about it!

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The rumor last night was that Mousasi was offered the fight with Cormier. I'm guessing that would be a title fight and not a 3 rounder. That would suck for Marreta since I thought that was a fight he could pull off the upset, but Cormier should get a chance to get his money as well as a cut of the PPV.

Agreed, I was leaning towards picking Thiago in that fight, he's been on a roll.

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Craig H and Elsalvajeloco, both of you willed this into reality by talking about it!

Hahahahahaha, dude, it was so quiet leading up to this thing that something messed up was bound to happen. I shouldn't even be surprised something actually happened.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dana on Colin Cowherd just confirmed Cormier is fighting on Saturday.

He also said Cormier's opponent won't be Bisping.

"Bisping just won the 185-pound title," White said. "And, let me tell you what Bisping does in his offseason. When Bisping is not training, Bisping goes on a bender. He's in no condition to fight Daniel Cormier, I'll tell you that."