DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

6 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

When you're use to guys fighting you at a closer range, it's tough to just adjust to that when you know a powerful takedown is coming. Lesnar could do something that dudes like Nelson, Pezao, and Mir couldn't do, especially Mir since he is notoriously bad with traditional wrestling takedowns. Lesnar was circling into his power, and Hunt still couldn't hit him square and was landing high on the shoulder.

Oh I completely agree with you. I think everyone (myself included) had images of Cain tagging Lesnar and Lesnar flailing without considering that at the time Cain was one of the best while Hunt tends to knock out people that either are also strikers, or didn't have powerful takedowns. In hindsight it is kinda like ohhhh and while I am not surprised, I wasn't confidence enough to put money on it.

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I think I disagree with Meltzer saying he expects it play out like Joanna and Claudia did last night. Tate really isn't a volume striker like Joanna and that's what propelled her to victory. Joanna looks to hit you from anywhere and in anyway she can. Tate kinda lays back in the pocket. She's going to have to tire out Nunes by trying to get her to the ground and then eventually getting her there. If I'm Robert Follis, I'm telling Miesha to not do anything that will get her picked apart early on. One thing people might be overlooking is that Nunes feels comfortable being on top in guard. That was how she fought other strikers in the past. If she can get on top of you, she's looking to smash you or at least control your movement. Can Miesha create opportunities off her back? Does she spend 90 seconds trying to get back up? This fight can play out many different ways.

Not gonna say I told you so...but you know

I was worried for like 2 hours a thunderstorm would blow out my feed for the Brock/Hunt fight. It waited until like 90 seconds after, I missed the main event.

Brock is an awfully goddamn strong candidate for "if you really want something and work hard enough it's possible".

Good show, but I didn't feel good about the Comrier/Silva fight. They shouldn't have even done this on 48 hours notice, it was a waste really. Props to Silva for hanging in there though.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

As a fight fan, I'm excited at the possibility of seeing Holm vs Nunes even if it's not box office.

Shevchenko is also a great technical striker. Neither hits with the conviction or power that Nunes does though. They may be a little more refined, on the other hand.

It's wonderful that we're really starting to see an influx of technically gifted strikers in women's MMA over the past 2-3 years and some of them are hitting the mainstream. It's progressing very rapidly. 

5 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Shevchenko is also a great technical striker. Neither hits with the conviction or power that Nunes does though. They may be a little more refined, on the other hand.

Yeah, I was gonna say that might somehow (even though they might go with Pena instead) turn into Nunes vs. Shevchenko. Shevchenko is probably the best striker Holm has faced. I think Holm might have more power, but she is facing probably the closest approximation of herself.

I don't know if he could withstand some of the shots Lewis landed on Nelson. Brock wouldn't have much of a size advantage either. That would be a very fun fight but if/when he comes back for another bout, they'll probably try to cash in with a bigger name than Lewis.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I don't know if he could withstand some of the shots Lewis landed on Nelson. Brock wouldn't have much of a size advantage either. That would be a very fun fight but if/when he comes back for another bout, they'll probably try to cash in with a bigger name than Lewis.

Yeah I think Stipe, Overeem, JDS, Cain, Werdum smash him. If he comes back it depends if they want to give him winnable fights and keep him as an "attraction" or just cash him out with a title fight. He could feast of the Nelson, Struve, Bigfoot type guys.

Just now, keith_h said:

Brock seemed to react better the few times he did get tagged. If he comes back again a fight with Derrick Lewis seems like a good choice and very winnable for Brock.

Oyaji beat me to it, but yeah the UFC will try to match him against a big name if he indeed comes back. If Lewis had smoked Nelson, then I could see it because it's not like they have big plans for Lewis. Booking him with Lewis would allow them to figure what to fuck to do with someone with other major commitments. Maybe they try to sign old, shot Fedor to fight him.

I think JDS would be the most intriguing fight of the bunch. Rothwell would be another good one, but he has no name value (not that JDS is a huge attraction either, but at least he's got some popularity).