DVDVR Message Board

UFC 200: Tate vs. Nunes (7/9/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Just now, piranesi said:

Any thoughs on why Hunt waited so long to start striking?  The longer it went the more risk he was at.  He barely threw three punches by Round 3.

Hunt, to me, looked terrified of Brock shooting and getting him on the ground, and that limited his options. I don't think you could have paid him to throw a kick in that fight, out of pure fear of Brock catching the leg.

• Like 1

Just now, piranesi said:

Any thoughs on why Hunt waited so long to start striking?  The longer it went the more risk he was at.  He barely threw three punches by Round 3.

Hunt couldn't get him pinned against the cage. Brock's movement was way better than a lot of the dudes Hunt has faced recently. 

Just now, El Dragon said:

I find it funny that you can make a very legitimate claim Brock is right back into being a Top 10 Heavyweight after almost half a decade.

Heavyweight gonna heavyweight. There is literally one quality heavyweight outside the UFC, and he hasn't fought a top 25-30 heavyweight arguably.

3 minutes ago, piranesi said:

From sea to shining sea. From one white boy to all nationalities.

I'm pretty sure those two things are not political slogans but Brock giving his ranch staff a head's up for the menu when he gets home.

I'm pretty sure we're waking up to reports of Vince's heart attack after that promo.

• Like 1

I think its also easy to forget since Hunt is so much fun to watch, that since he is a one trick pony he struggles against top talent.  He has now won 3 of his last 8 fights so he may be fading after the quick start when returning to UFC. Brock did exactly what he had to do, take down Hunt and use his strength to keep him there, Hunt just looked too tentative so he never had much of a chance unless every round was like Round 2 which would have been awful to watch.

11 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I think its also easy to forget since Hunt is so much fun to watch, that since he is a one trick pony he struggles against top talent.  He has now won 3 of his last 8 fights so he may be fading after the quick start when returning to UFC. Brock did exactly what he had to do, take down Hunt and use his strength to keep him there, Hunt just looked too tentative so he never had much of a chance unless every round was like Round 2 which would have been awful to watch.

When you're use to guys fighting you at a closer range, it's tough to just adjust to that when you know a powerful takedown is coming. Lesnar could do something that dudes like Nelson, Pezao, and Mir couldn't do, especially Mir since he is notoriously bad with traditional wrestling takedowns. Lesnar was circling into his power, and Hunt still couldn't hit him square and was landing high on the shoulder.