DVDVR Message Board

The Ultimate Fighter 23: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale (7/8/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

TUF_23_Finale_Poster.jpg?1462417746

The Ultimate Fighter 23: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale
July 8, 2016
Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

UFC Women's Strawweight Championship: Joanna Jędrzejczyk © (114.5) vs. Cláudia Gadelha (115) (third defense) - Jędrzejczyk, DEC (unanimous)
TUF 23 Light Heavyweight Tournament Final: Andrew Sanchez (199.5) vs. Khalil Rountree (205.5) - Sanchez, DEC (unanimous)
TUF 23 Women's Strawweight Tournament Final: Amanda Cooper (116) vs. Tatiana Suarez (115.5) - Suarez, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (3:43)
Ross Pearson (155.5) vs. Will Brooks (156) - Brooks, DEC (unanimous)
Doo Ho Choi (146) vs. Thiago Tavares (146) - Choi, KO (punches), R1 (2:42)
Andrew Holbrook (155.5) vs. Joaquim Silva (155) - Silva, KO (punches), R1 (0:34)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Gray Maynard (145.5) vs. Fernando Bruno (146) - Maynard, DEC (unanimous)
John Moraga (126) vs. Matheus Nicolau Pereira (125.5) - Pereira, DEC (split)
Cory Hendricks (204) vs. Josh Stansbury (205.5) - Stansbury, DEC (majority)
Cezar Ferreira (186) vs. Anthony Smith (185) - Ferreira, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Jake Matthews (156) vs. Kevin Lee (155) - Lee, TKO (punches), R1 (4:06)
Anton Zafir (170) vs. Jiangling Li (171) - Li, KO (punches), R1 (2:46)

Event Bonuses ($50,000?
Performance of the Night: Doo Ho Choi
Performance of the Night: Tatiana Suarez
Fight of the Night: Joanna Jędrzejczyk vs. Cláudia Gadelha

Attendance: 8,115
Gate: $736,804
Rating: 1.086 million viewers

Cancelled Bouts:
Scott Askham vs. Anthony Smith - Injury to Askham
Stevie Ray vs. Jake Matthews - Injury to Ray
James Krause vs. Ross Pearson - Krause Withdrew Due to Personal Reasons

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

This is a sweet lookin' little show. Doo Ho Choi gets a serious test in Tavares, Will Brooks' UFC sudden debut against a game opponent, Khalil hopefully getting to the finals despite losing in round 1 *shrug*, and a great main event on paper. All 3 shows should be fantastic and I really dig when UFC pulls off these three shows in three days deals. The series of shows in December were unreal. 

Amanda Cooper, despite having a ton of making weight, beat Lanchana Green pretty handily to make it to the strawweight finals.

It's been just announced that Jake Matthew vs. Kevin Lee will be the featured prelims for Fight Pass.

Guest Edwin

I was pumped for Brooks debut, but I just realized Doo Ho Choi is fighting on this card!

That dude has serious potential.

I was gonna ask how people felt about Pearson as an opponent for Brooks in his first fight. I think at first glance people were kinda down it was Pearson and not like this big name. Actually, I think it is kinda nice they're aren't (at least initially) trying to match a free agent super tough. If he soundly beats Pearson, then you can go from there instead of what they did by giving Alvarez the fight with Cerrone. The lightweight division is vast but you're not going to find a bunch of Donald Cerrones just hovering outside the UFC. With this matchup, Pearson is around the level of opponent Brooks faced before beating Chandler, but probably better than a Dave Jansen. It's also not a young prospect who might be hindered by losing to Brooks or could tip the apple cart over by making Brooks look like someone not worthy of being put in that position. Pearson has faced more name opponents and has legit experience, but I don't think anyone is expecting him to just go tit for tat with Brooks.

• Like 1

Unless something changes, it looks like none of the other girls made it on the Finale. If that's the case, I am not shocked considered the performances in the finals. If you're going to use any of those girls, they need some real seasoning so Invicta wouldn't be a bad option. 

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Unless something changes, it looks like none of the other girls made it on the Finale. If that's the case, I am not shocked considered the performances in the finals. If you're going to use any of those girls, they need some real seasoning so Invicta wouldn't be a bad option. 

Damn, was hoping Lanchana Green would get a shot if anyone did.

• Like 1

Any thoughts on the main event tonight?

For me, it's very interesting looking at it from the outside of the octagon aspect of it. It was intriguing that after Ronda lost to Holm, Joanna said that could happen to anyone even her and was extremely humble about being a champion. Yet, if you've seen Joanna's behavior at all the pressers and on The Ultimate Fighter, you would swear up and down that is basically the type of behavior that befell Ronda Rousey on the eve of the Holm bout. For whatever reason, Joanna is a complete psychopath around Claudia and gotten to a point where even I'm worried that this may affect what happens tonight. It very much feels like Claudia is coming to win and Joanna is coming to put Claudia through that goddamn cage mesh one tiny piece at a time.

Maybe Joanna is motivated by probably not putting her best foot forward in the Letourneau fight. I think this is one of those fights where all of a sudden, someone is down 2 rounds to zero heading into round 3, and it's imperative to run the table or worst case scenario get a stoppage. If Joanna is fighting to punish Claudia like she did Penne, then does that make her susceptible to being on the wrong side of that?

• Like 2

I think it'll be another super close fight like last time but I can never pick against Joanna champion. Throughout her awesome performances in fights and captivating charisma, she's become my favorite fighter even against other fighters I'm a big fan of like Penne and Esparza. The hatred in this rivalry has been immense. Hoping Joanna retains and remains unbeaten.

• Like 2

So are all the fighters from this TUF season who didn't make the finals done with the company? Or is it a case of maybe finding them an undercard spot somewhere, but not as a part of International Fight Week, because that's a bit more big time. Most likely the three English girls have a shot at being on some possible future UK card, and Khalil's teammate who got hurt and pulled out is probably pretty nailed on to get another look, but beyond him... whilst the 'contracts for everyone' TUF era came to a close years ago, the 'contracts for about half of you' era was an ongoing thing I thought.

Even in the season for the then-vacant 115 title, they dumped half of the fighters afterwards. And then bought the Australian one back just for Aussie shows.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So are all the fighters from this TUF season who didn't make the finals done with the company? Or is it a case of maybe finding them an undercard spot somewhere, but not as a part of International Fight Week, because that's a bit more big time. Most likely the three English girls have a shot at being on some possible future UK card, and Khalil's teammate who got hurt and pulled out is probably pretty nailed on to get another look, but beyond him... whilst the 'contracts for everyone' TUF era came to a close years ago, the 'contracts for about half of you' era was an ongoing thing I thought.

Even in the season for the then-vacant 115 title, they dumped half of the fighters afterwards. And then bought the Australian one back just for Aussie shows.

It depends on the availability of card space. However, based on a lot of the performances on the show, I don't think they're going to bring a lot of people back. It wasn't a talent laden season and it's clear that the women you could possibly bring back need way more experience. It would be different if it was 135, but 115 is getting tougher and tougher. With the way Angela Hill has improved, why have more cases of that when those girls can go back to their respective regional scenes and/or Invicta? Maybe Moyle comes back because they did a ton of stuff talking about Syndicate MMA during the season.