DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 90: Dos Anjos vs. Alvarez (7/7/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (MGM Grand Garden Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Eddie was considered one of the top lightweights in the world before joining the UFC. It's been a bit of a rocky ride in the UFC but I don't think it's nearly as big of an upset as Bisping making Rockhold look like a 70-year-old lush laying on the corner.

• Like 1

Been a tough road after a stellar run for the Kings MMA team. Mina and most recently Dariush won, but damn if they didn't go from having a couple champs to zero in the span of a month and a half.

Ricardo Almeida and Mark Henry could have two in the span of three days if Edgar beats Aldo.

Derrick Lewis is awesome but the reality is that if he has to be to a round 4 or 5 then we are going to be hitting Kimbo vs DADA situation.   His cardio is just terrible and luckily for him Roy Nelson's cardio was a lot worse.  But man that chin of Nelson has to be made of steel or some shit 

2 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Derrick Lewis is awesome but the reality is that if he has to be to a round 4 or 5 then we are going to be hitting Kimbo vs DADA situation.   His cardio is just terrible and luckily for him Roy Nelson's cardio was a lot worse.  But man that chin of Nelson has to be made of steel or some shit.

I don't think it was Roy's cardio more than the fact that he got kneed and kicked repeatedly in the body.

Lightweight division is no joke.  It's the most stacked, blood-thirsty and shark infested division in the sport.  You can't sleep on anyone in this division.  

I hope we get Alvarez vs. Khabib next.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Not enough evidence to prove anything yet but the fights have been better since they implemented the earlier weigh-ins.

Based on the sample size, I would say so. I mean the lower level fighters are still fighting on the same level basically, but most of the fighters look way better at the weigh-ins and have performed better during fight night.

I noticed around the time USADA started (even though it didn't ramp up until around the last quarter of 2015) as well as the IV ban that fighters were looking pretty sluggish. They would start off strong and then hit the wall fast. You still got good fights, but I felt they weren't maximized to the level they could've been at.

I mean it didn't change one thing for the handful of Bellator cards with this procedure. However, it's hard to make some short order cooks look like actual fighters. So that's kinda that.

On the other hand, the UFC's experiment with it has yielded nothing but success. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Eddie was considered one of the top lightweights in the world before joining the UFC. It's been a bit of a rocky ride in the UFC but I don't think it's nearly as big of an upset as Bisping making Rockhold look like a 70-year-old lush laying on the corner.

This.

9 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Lightweight division is no joke.  It's the most stacked, blood-thirsty and shark infested division in the sport.  You can't sleep on anyone in this division.  

I hope we get Alvarez vs. Khabib next.

Lightweight division is the best in MMA, so deep. Glad UFC brought it back.

What a flurry by Eddie Alvarez becoming the new UFC Lightweight Champion!

I figured it was a pick em fight going in and that Dos Anjos had just been catching his opponents at the right time up to this point. Happy for Alvarez, been a fan since the Dream Grand Prix and then all the garbage Bjorn and Bellator put him through was terrible. 

finally got to watch the main card of this event. damn! what an event.

look forward to seeing Muhammad again, dude took a beating but just wouldn't stop.

Lewis/Nelson was something all right. thought for sure Nelson won with takedowns, but was pleasantly surprised to see that wasn't the case.

RDA/Alvarez knocked ME for a loop. always respected Alvarez, but his UFC career hasn't looked the best so i didn't give him much chance here. well, he certainly showed me. and in dramatic fashion, too. awesome fight and awesome win.