DVDVR Message Board

G1 Climax 26

MoeCristyV.1.6

12 minutes ago, Cyanide said:

Day Two: DESTROY ALL GAIJIN.

I know it's G1 and everyone is gonna take losses, but EVIL going over Elgin clean as a sheet was an eye-opener in a card full of em.

It's 2016, of course the New Japan guys are going over the ROH guys the majority of the time.

• Like 1

Elgin signed a two year contract with New Japan, so while he wrestles in ROH still also it isn't really an example of a New Japan wrestler going over a ROH wrestler since he is signed to both. And its the G1, weird stuff happens, I wouldn't look too much into it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

And its the G1, weird stuff happens, I wouldn't look too much into it.

Some of us old timers remember that way back in 2002, green as grass Hiroshi Tanahashi was actually the block leader after the second day.

Today's results (credit: Purolove):

Spoiler

NJPW "G1 CLIMAX 26", 23.07.2016 (NJPW World)
Machida Municipal Gymnasium
4,630 Fans - Super No Vacancy

1. Satoshi Kojima, Manabu Nakanishi, Jushin Thunder Liger & Tiger Mask besiegen KUSHIDA, Juice Robinson, David Finlay & Captain New Japan (8:01) nach einer Lariat von Kojima gegen Finlay.
2. Katsuhiko Nakajima noah.jpg & YOSHI-HASHI besiegen Katsuyori Shibata & Tomoaki Honma (6:52) mit einem Cradle von YOSHI-HASHI gegen Honma.
3. Kenny Omega & Yujiro Takahashi besiegen Toru Yano & Gedo (9:04) nach einem DDT von Yujiro gegen Gedo.
4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI besiegen Michael Elgin, Yuji Nagata & Ryusuke Taguchi (8:44) nach dem EVIL von EVIL gegen Taguchi.
5. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroyoshi Tenzan [4] besiegt Tama Tonga [0] (10:31) mit einer Moonsault Press.
6. G1 Climax - Block A: Hirooki Goto [4] besiegt Tomohiro Ishii [0] (11:49) mit dem GTR.
7. G1 Climax - Block A: Bad Luck Fale [2] besiegt Naomichi Marufuji noah.jpg [2] (9:36) mit der Grenade.
8. G1 Climax - Block A: Kazuchika Okada [2] besiegt SANADA [2] (13:20) mit dem Rainmaker.
9. G1 Climax - Block A: Togi Makabe [4] besiegt Hiroshi Tanahashi [0] (14:04) mit dem King Kong Kneedrop.

Any matches today worth watching? Okada/SANADA was the only one that really piqued my curiosity just looking at the card so I watched that and maaaan did I not think they meshed particularly well.

Haven't watched the main yet.  Fale-Marufuji wasn't bad, but not must-see.  There were a couple of worrisome moments in Tenzan-Tonga, particularly Tonga taking a flapjack that he thinks is a back body drop.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maciej said:

Any matches today worth watching? Okada/SANADA was the only one that really piqued my curiosity just looking at the card so I watched that and maaaan did I not think they meshed particularly well.

I was curious if Sanada had improved at all over the last couple of years, since he used to routinely disappoint me with his work in All Japan. But, if he can't even have a good match with Okada, then I think I have the answer.

There hasn't been anything actively bad outside of Honma/Fale from Night 1.  Everything else has been in the good to very good range.  

Sanada might have the worst Dragon Sleeper in existance though.

• Like 1

Admittedly it's not particularly memorable at the moment... but I seem to recall the Okada/SANADA match from earlier this year being good enough, though today's bout was pretty unexceptional.

Goto/Ishii was what you'd expect from them together, and boy did I want Ishii to go over. Marufuji/Fale was a good speed vs power matchup and the main was fun.

While agreeing that nothing so far has really been bad, nothing has really stood out too much either; I already feel like everything is starting to run together, and it's only Day 3. (I'm assuming this is the G1 rookie wall.)

G1 Rookie wall is actually around 5.

Be glad you're starting now and not 2 years ago when they ran both blocks in one day.  With the format change last year, it's easier to skip the first half tag matches and just watch the 5 matches a day to keep up instead of the 10-12 matches a day it used to run.

Rookie wall for years was 2 shows

• Like 1

Yoshi-Hashi is the rattata of pro-wrestling. So fucking lame and uninspiring. Why, oh, why is he in the tournament? 

I thought Sanada vs. Tanahashi from day 1 was excellent and a star-making performance from the former. He looked phenomenal, though in my actual chronological viewing, I'm still at the tail end of 2015 ffs, so I haven't seen much of Sanada other than a few big show matches from this year. 

Ballsy moves from Gedo so far. I like it!

One wish: have a relatively insignificant G1 match end with a countout so that when it's teased in every other match, there's at least some doubt as to whether the wrestler will be able to beat the count.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike Campbell said:

I was curious if Sanada had improved at all over the last couple of years, since he used to routinely disappoint me with his work in All Japan. But, if he can't even have a good match with Okada, then I think I have the answer.

I do think he has, for what it's worth; I've enjoyed him in a bunch of different places in the past calendar year or so. I thought he was quite good in the Tanahashi match as well. I think I have a much lower opinion of Okada than you do, though.

I wouldn't necessarily blame my opinion of this match on one of them more than the other, I just thought they looked mad awkward together, especially in the sequences where they were struggling for their respective finishers.

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

One wish: have a relatively insignificant G1 match end with a countout so that when it's teased in every other match, there's at least some doubt as to whether the wrestler will be able to beat the count.

That'd be a great way to beat one of the top guys, to keep him out of the finals, without having him do a clean job. 

Best day yet I think. Naito/Elgin is far and away match of the tournament so far for me, even with one pretty ugly spot in the middle. Legitimately bummed that Elgin couldn't pull it out, but so so good.

Shibata/Nakajima was everything I wanted as well (loved the hood as fuck slap to sleeper to set up the PK). Omega/Yano was a ton of fun as well.