DVDVR Message Board

[NXT SPOILERS] For JULY 6, 2016

RIPPA

All I could think during that first fall is it takes something pretty fucking awesome for me to be like - yea, the Hardy match was the 2nd best wrestling I've watched today.

Awesome stuff.  I'm glad they're burning through these matches while they still can.

Definitely Alexa's best match. She wasn't overshadowed by Bailey either.

Great Shin/Balor video package.

Really underappreciated but Dawson is kinda incredible as a ring general. Also, would have never bet that he would be the one with the biggest gas tank of the 4.

• Like 1

Bayley is quietly one of the smartest wrestlers in the company. She's so great when it comes to laying out matches and telling different stories in the ring based on what her opponents can do. It was a good idea to go with a more back and forth match this week, because (a) Bayley has pretty good offense outside of her strikes and (b) there's no reason someone of her status should be selling 90% against an unproven Alexa Bliss. Alexa came out looking a lot better because she had to work for a lot of her moves and she survived some adversity herself. To Alexa's credit, she seems to be taking some real steps forward when it comes to timing, signature spots, and ability to do more complex sequences. Still it's no surprise that the "prospect" level talents like Carmella, Alexa, and Nia all look great when they're in the ring with Bayley.

Alpha/Revival was good, probably about on par with their Dallas match. The End was a perfect match that you can't expect to replicate, the other two were more of a baseline for what you should realistically expect between them. The only part I didn't like in this match was Jordan no-selling the leg work for his hot tag, but still expecting everyone to buy into the drama of the Nagata lock. That put the announcers in a terrible spot when they had to do a 180 on whether his leg was hurt or not. I actually liked the finish a lot. You don't have to assume the shatter machine did more damage on the apron, it was just them hitting it with regular power in an unexpected spot that Gable wasn't ready to counter. It's a very protected move, so no reason it shouldn't get the fall.

Shatter Machine on the apron would hurt Dash a *lot* more than it would hurt Gable considering he's basically taking a self-inflicted Pop-Up Powerbomb on the Apron. Jordan's no-selling was pretty glaring, to the point that the announcers mentioned it.

It wasn't a complaint, just an observation about the mechanics (hey) of the move and the apron being the hardest part of the ring both in kayfabe and reality. The Jeff Hardy reckless masochist deal was basically his whole gimmick in WWE, though, so it doesn't apply to the Revival.

I was totally complaining about the no-selling, though. That was bad and stupid.

Jordan was on the apron for several minutes. He had enough time to recover. It would have been great if he showed a limp at first and then implied adrenaline, but it wasn't bad at all.

The shatter machine on the apron was done due to opportunity and necessity, not for extra damage. Beggars can't be choosers at times of desperation. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kiguchi said:

Jordan was on the apron for several minutes. He had enough time to recover. It would have been great if he showed a limp at first and then implied adrenaline, but it wasn't bad at all.

The shatter machine on the apron was done due to opportunity and necessity, not for extra damage. Beggars can't be choosers at times of desperation. 

I'll give Jordan credit for selling the leg on the apron for a little while.  He was gingerly shaking it.  But if he's gonna adrenaline dump the no-sell, it would be cool if he went back to selling when the "adrenaline" wore off.

• Like 1

I don't agree about the selling being an issue. Jordan shook it off during an extended beatdown on his partner. He's also got the rep of being the sort of dude who beasts up and kills people, so his ability to ignore/fight through pain plus the fact that he had time to shake off the injury made it seem fine to me. I don't know that every segment of limb work has to pay off with a dude limping his way through spots for the rest of the match. In this case, the limb work was paid off by The Revival being able to keep Jordan away from the tag, building heat until Jordan got the hot tag to start the next FIP segment. 

7 hours ago, kiguchi said:

Definitely this, Dash didn't care if it hurt him more, as long as his partner can take the opportunity to get a pin.

• Like 2

On 7/8/2016 at 1:48 AM, turk128 said:

Definitely this, Dash didn't care if it hurt him more, as long as his partner can take the opportunity to get a pin.

Yeah, I thought it was clearly a desperation move.  Dash was willing to sacrifice his body for the greater good, because the tag team championship is worth the pain.  These two teams are so evenly matched, that sometimes a guy to jump in front of a bullet so his partner can get a win.

I've been down on Alexa in recent weeks, but that was by far the best performance she's had that's been televised. Not only did she not look out of place against Bayley, but she was probably the better of the two in that match. If she starts turning in showings like this consistently they really have something.