DVDVR Message Board

1. I love the show so far.

2. Too early to tell, but the comic and television show are at least very close contextually.

3. It helps that Adam Wingard, that new hotness horror director, is working with the series.

I like the fact that Kirkland seems to have written Outcast to re-teach himself how to craft scary stories.   He kinda lost his way in The Walking Dead where he overanalyzes the nature of man and navel gazes on themes best covered in Lord of the Flies while forgetting that the zombies are the real threat, but Outcast is mean-spirited and scary and awesome.

Finally a show and a comic book that doesn't romanticize the nature of supernatural evil.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J.T. said:

1. I love the show so far.

2. Too early to tell, but the comic and television show are at least very close contextually.

3. It helps that Adam Wingard, that new hotness horror director, is working with the series.

I like the fact that Kirkland seems to have written Outcast to re-teach himself how to make scary stories.   He kinda lost his way in The Walking Dead where he overanalyzes the nature of man and navel gazes on themes best covered in Lord of the Flies while forgetting that the zombies are the real threat, but Outcast is mean-spirited and scary and awesome.

Finally a show and a comic book that doesn't romanticize the nature of supernatural evil.

Seriously considering picking up the first trade after these first few episodes of the show.

I highly recommend picking up the first run.  It will give you a better handle on what is going on. 

The thing I like best about Outcast is how Kirkland manages to deal with the concept of demons in a very spiritual and Biblical context without thumping you over the head with religious dogma. 

As a kld, I loved Spawn and Preacher and Constantine but when I grew up, the flip-floppy way in which they handled good and evil really started to bother me.  Spiritual good was indifferent to the plight of mankind while spiritual evil was a misunderstood thing to be pitied. 

Evil was sexy, good was boring, and anti-heroes used the power of Hell to defend humanity.  What?

Then came Outcast..   Demons weren't your friends anymore and that was putting it lightly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...