DVDVR Message Board

The best/worst finishers past and present?

I'm only going to do current era stuff.

worst: 1) Big Show's KO punch. It makes him have to do these ridiculous body punches to people half his size. He can't do normal punches which is 90% of the WWE style. Foolish. 2) Cage's Gory special flapjack or whatever it is. 99% of Cage's move set is finishers anyways, so why is his real finisher so convoluted? Looks lame. 3) Mil Muertes' flatliner. Dude has so many other good moves, why is that the finisher? Looks lame.

best: 1) I'm loving the Styles Clash right now. I used to hate the move, but the fact he doesn't hit it every day makes it seem more hurty looking. 2) Neutralizer. Cesaro has a way of doing the move rapidly following another move that makes it seem like it's definitively the end. 3) Sister Abigail, running variation.

bonus: moves that should be finishers - 1) Sami's Blue Thunder Bomb, 2) Cesaro's springboard Psycho Crusher, 3) Tyler Breeze's Beauty Shot.

9 hours ago, JCM said:

Worst for me is the fucking Kurt Angle ankle lock. It never gets set up, and he's irish whipping guys right after they escape it. It's not not it takes a lick of talent to do either. You just grab the guys ankle and twist it.

Because Shamrock introduced it to the WWE, the ankle lock has always been pushed as an MMA submission, meaning it needs no set-up, as opposed to pro wrestling submissions (ie. figure four, sharpshooter).

7 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

worst: 1) Big Show's KO punch. It makes him have to do these ridiculous body punches to people half his size. He can't do normal punches which is 90% of the WWE style. Foolish. 2) Cage's Gory special flapjack or whatever it is. 99% of Cage's move set is finishers anyways, so why is his real finisher so convoluted? Looks lame. 3) Mil Muertes' flatliner. Dude has so many other good moves, why is that the finisher? Looks lame.

Completely agree on Big Show. I don't even think they used his failed attempt at a boxing career to justify his punch suddenly being an instant KO. As for Muertes, I remember thinking the same thing about Mortis/Kanyon back in the WCW days. He was using a Hercules cutter and an electric chair faceplant as basic moves and then he finished with a flatliner... 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this counts, but that era in WCW when Duggan would pull out the masking tape, wrap it around his fists in full view of the referee, knock the guy out and still get the win was stupid as hell. . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This guy begs to differ 

riki_choshu.jpg

Nearly everyone in Japan has done it better than Bret, so did Lance Storm.

• Like 1

Other moves I like: Stone Cold Stunner. Grab the guy by the head, jump and drive the shoulder into the jaw like an uppercut.

Cross face Chicken Wing is a classic.

No mention of the Regal Stretch until now. You bend the knees putting your legs on them, then you trap the head and arm. The move works out the whole body.

• Like 1

That Saxton finisher is a real hidden gem for this thread. It's as shitty as the overdrive, but people haven't inexplicably copied it for years so no one except the 5 people who watched NXT season 4 knows about it.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2016 at 1:59 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:

If we're talking wacky, indyriffic offense, I used to be a huge fan of Milano Collection AT.  I loved his stuff back during the Italian Connection days in Toryumon.  He changed his style (toned it down) once he leftToryumon/DG, but he looked damn fluid in Toryumon doing an array of junior flippy stuff and a lot of submissions.  In Toryumon, he had some pretty unique submission moves that looked cool. 

Milano is in my top ten guys for exactly that reason. Fuck, I loved all the weird subs. Such a badass meld of styles.

I think if I recall the Saxton move done on someone who knew what he was doing was kind of a half nelson slam thing, but that particular one looked horrid.

I was wrong, the weird setup was always part of it, though this still looks slightly better. I think the mimed SCF setup was to get the guy to lean over, but it's still odd looking.

BLxeiv.gif

Lawful Metal's mention of the Neutralizer reminded me of the move Cesaro used to call The Neutralizer on the indies, which was also called the Brock Lock when Lesnar used to do it every once in a while.  That shit was so nasty when Brock or Cesaro would actually sit down with it and completely trap the opponent.  Damn.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1803989/brock-lock-o.gif

• Like 2