DVDVR Message Board

Who had/has your favortie move set?

Ramsey

I agree with Curt McGirt, your answer can be read as your rassler ubermensch. I interpret the question as to "whose moves reflected their gimmick, made sense in a storytelling usage and were executed effectively?".

To my previous answers, I add Vader (again), Jerry Blackwell, Bobby Eaton, and Hakushi. In fact, Hakushi may be my favorite example of a wrestler's moveset defining his character. That is, in addition to his pacing, timing and psychology.

- RAF

• Like 2

Underrated one was probably early days Bossman.

Guy that size had some good stuff - impact stuff big guys weren't using at the time, babyface comeback/house of fire spots (tilt-a-whirl, the jump-on-the-guy-on the middle rope spot). Looked to have a lot of energy in it, got the crowd into it and still looked like it hurt.

• Like 3

Man Axl, I never expected you to bring up Shinzaki. He's a total sleeper in that has a really cool moveset but he's a guy you for some reason would never think about. Pacing, though... I can argue with you on that. Think I might have to fire up the external and watch him and Mr. Gannosuke have a war now. 

In regards to the Bret comments on here I thought his moveset was 100% on point but after you watch a thousand matches with him, yeah he would vary it up but seeing the same shit all the time got to be pretty tiring. In fact to correct myself from earlier, and because this really can be a Rorschach test, my favorite would be Stan Hansen. 

• Like 2

There's another interesting question here and that's who has one of the worst movesets but they manage to overcome it one way or another. And I'm not talking about a Dusty or a Hogan who just don't have a moveset -- I'm talking about guys like Tenryu who have a good moveset but blow it the most. I might've answered my own question there though

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's another interesting question here and that's who has one of the worst movesets but they manage to overcome it one way or another.

I think Edge was a guy who's moveset never looked as good as it could have, but he managed to do really well based more on personality and presence.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

There's another interesting question here and that's who has one of the worst movesets but they manage to overcome it one way or another.

This question just screams "Randy Orton" to me. The punt is cool and I guess he did make the RKO his own after a while, but the rest of moveset is a jumbled mess. The elevated DDT that requires an elaborate setup, the 3.0 backbreaker, the Garvin stomp with the goofy faces, bad strikes, the clothesline-clothesline-duck-powerslam sequence, and so many chinlocks with more goofy faces... He also used the Angle slam and overdrive at various points. On paper, all of his matches should be a mess, but in practice, he's made it work pretty well throughout his career. He has a good timing and a good mind for putting move sequences together based on what his opponent can do. When he cares, he's also good at reading the crowd and keeping them involved. When he's going through the motions, his bad moveset is a lot more noticeable because it takes a lot of work to make his signature spots not look silly.

• Like 3

DDP is another guy that jumps out. Granted the diamond cutter pretty much single-handedly makes up for everything, but wtf was with the rest of his moves? He's supposed to be a scrappy brawler and he's doing gut-wrench powerbombs, float-over DDTs, pescados, that awful face-first messed-up piledriver looking thing, etc. Plus he busted out some really weird/contrived setups for the DC on occasion. His charisma, selling (once he cut back on his 3-stooges style bumping), timing, and meticulous preparation enabled him to have a lot of good matches, though.

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Mutoh is one whose moveset wasnt exemplary in his prime... but the torque he would add to them made each one extra special.  Best elbow drop ever. 

He did pretty much bring the moonsault to mainstream USA.

I feel like every move he did popped the crowd including the way he applied the Muta Lock. I think it actually hurt some of his matches because he knew he could do nothing for long stretches of time then just snap off a handspring elbow and wake up the crowd.

I am a sucker for thee worker who can pull off the slow contemplative stalking type of ring work. Muta was the first person that I noticed doing this, but then I realized that that Kabuki did it before him. Is this the programming of Playboy Gary Hart? Seriously, I think it is. 

Two more to think about: Bam Bam Bigelow and Terry Gordy. 

The moveset should help define the wrestler. In that sense, the MS of someone like Jimmy Snuka is superior to someone who has a more varied but less defined one, like say Chris Jericho.

- RAF 

p.s.- I thought of a couple more today but did not write them down so these gemthoughts are lost to thee aether I am OLD OLD OLDOLDOLD!

5 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Balor has like four moves.  He's been the center of nxt for a year now so I'm guessing he overcame it.

It's a double foot stomp. SLING BLADE!!  Oh look, it's another double foot stomp.

He has a dropkick!... I think. I don't pay much attention to Balor.

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Am I mistaken or wasn't Ambrose using the Muta elbow in his Shield days? If so, he should bring it back. 

The first time I saw Ambrose bust thst out is when I became a fan.

He then went and ruined the feelings with that myopic middle rope rebound lariat.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

The first time I saw Ambrose bust thst out is when I became a fan.

He then went and ruined the feelings with that myopic middle rope rebound lariat.

Austin Aries also uses the Muta elbow, further proving that he is The Greatest Man That Ever Lived. 

• Like 1

I have to give props to Misawa. All his tiger related moves, the Emerald Fusion (I think?), the elbow variations. There was a time when he truly seemed like a wrestler who did things nobody else could.