DVDVR Message Board

Who had/has your favortie move set?

Ramsey

The title says it all. We all know the in-ring aspect of wrestling isn't everything but it damn well has to be something. A lot of the connection between a wrestler and their fans is how they portrays the character's physicality. In other words MOVES ARE COOL. Name some great wrestlers with great move sets.

Bret had the best move set IMO. I always liked his second rope elbow where it looked like he was trying to drive the point of his elbow through your chest. He had a pretty badass looking piledriver and even though he didn't really start using it until later in his career, his ddt was pretty swank.

• Like 4

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Bryan. Nasty submissions, good-looking strikes (especially his short knee drops), and the surfboard fake-out double knee stomp is one of my favorites, along with the Gary Goodridge elbows. Most importantly, he could always vary his offense based on the match, although he did that less in WWE. I like Regal for a lot of the same reasons, but he wasn't as graceful on the ropes.

Kobashi is pretty close too, but his mat-work was always pretty uninspired. When he was young, he had a really nice all-around impact moveset, though. Of course there were the excellent chops and lariats, the head-droppy kind of moves like the half nelson and sleeper suplexes and the burning hammer, plus his moonsault came straight down with a lot of force.

For flying guys, Ricochet and Neville always amaze me with how great their balance is and how many times they can rotate their body in such a small distance.

• Like 2

2 Cold Scorpio.  The rare flippy guy whose flippy shit looked painful as hell. Mostly because he was usually landing square on his opponent's face, but still...

And you old dudes (like me) remember marking the fuck out when he first hit the 450 on that Clash of the Champions...

The guys I remember loving their move sets

- Barry Windham

- The Eaton/Lane version of the Midnights- what got me into wrestling was all the cool shit they did to jobbers.

- Great Muta

- Eddie Guerrero

- Scott Steiner

- Dean Malenko (his spinning belly to back was a thing of beauty)

- Vader

- if Kendo stick shots can count as part of a move set, El Zorro

Bret Hart gets my vote. Bret's Sharpshooter forever will be the best version of the hold. There's the jumping piledriver, the quick drive into the mat with the Russian legsweep, inverted atomic drop, his punches, the clotheslines,...the middle rope elbow and his vertical suplex/top rope superplex. I like when Bret did the vertical suplex, he'd shout out the effort into doing the move.

Honourable mentions to Kenta Kobashi and Bryan Danielson in ROH/Daniel Bryan in WWE.

• Like 1

Jushin Thunder Liger has one of the best move-set ever.  His matwork can be really good, even though NJPW Jr. matwork is generally frivolous.  He was a really good high flyer when he was young, he invented the shooting star press for God's sake.  He is on the shortlist of my favorite powerbomb, german suplex, and brainbuster.  He even made a palm strike a legit match ending strike, he does it all.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

If I had to pick one, I'd go with Bryan. Nasty submissions, good-looking strikes (especially his short knee drops), and the surfboard fake-out double knee stomp is one of my favorites, along with the Gary Goodridge elbows. Most importantly, he could always vary his offense based on the match, although he did that less in WWE. I like Regal for a lot of the same reasons, but he wasn't as graceful on the ropes.

For flying guys, Ricochet and Neville always amaze me with how great their balance is and how many times they can rotate their body in such a small distance.

Bryan and Regal would both be way up there for me as well.  I think Ospreay is really getting up there in the high flyer category as well, as all his stuff lately is done so clean and so tight it's visually impressive, doesn't interrupt the flow of a match, and doesn't look completely ridiculous (sorry, Vader!)

I feel bad invoking Super Dragon (as arguably a prototypical MOVEZ~ guy), but his moveset certainly made an impression on me as a fledgling indie fan.  Most of the head drop finishers would probably make me queasy today (special shout-out to the Barry White Driver), but the Curb Stomp, Badonkadonk senton, stomps, Violence Party, lariat, UFO, koppo kick, tope con hilo, that leg butterfly hold with the kicks to the back of the head, and his really great phoenix splash when he busted it out all worked as a great blend of his relative power, striking, technical capability, and high flying acumen.

As I look to cement my claim to being the board's #1 Bray Wyatt mark, I gotta throw the Eater of Worlds out there as well.  He's really stood out to me as a guy who gets a lot across with a little as everything he does (the running body attacks, the senton, the suplex toss, the uranage slam, and Sister Abigail) works perfectly in highlighting his power, size, and explosiveness.

• Like 1

This is probably just me having grown up watching them but Bret, Shawn Michaels, and Scott Hall were, as mentioned above by JonnyLaw, the guys who I felt had great moves before I even realized what that meant. 

I'm going to also throw Jerry Lynn into the mix here. I always loved that proto-cruiserweight style of his and thought the cradle piledriver was a rad finish.  I was super surprised he didn't get a bigger push in the WWF after ECW closed. If he stuck around WCW longer I think he could've had great matches with a shit ton of guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This is probably just me having grown up watching them but Bret, Shawn Michaels, and Scott Hall were, as mentioned above by JonnyLaw, the guys who I felt had great moves before I even realized what that meant. 

I'm going to also throw Jerry Lynn into the mix here. I always loved that proto-cruiserweight style of his and thought the cradle piledriver was a rad finish.  I was super surprised he didn't get a bigger push in the WWF after ECW closed. If he stuck around WCW longer I think he could've had great matches with a shit ton of guys.

I feel like Lynn was hurt a lot by the piledriver ban in the WWF. Without that, there really wasn't much to him that would appeal to the average WWF fan at the time.

12 hours ago, Skeeball Wizard said:

I've always thought Macho Man had the perfect moveset for his character, always a joy to watch. 

In terms of cool looking stuff, Blitzkrieg blew my fuckin mind as a teenager, and is still very impressive to older me.

Omg... I haven't seen or even heard Blitzkrieg's name mentioned in 15 years. Total indy throwback

• Like 1