DVDVR Message Board

JERRY LAWLER SOON TO BE GARBAGE FIRE THREAD

Goddammit, Lawler.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Memphis wrestling legend Jerry “The King” Lawler and his longtime girlfriend, Lauryn McBride are facing domestic assault charges.

The 66-year-old Lawler and the 27-year-old McBride were both booked into the Shelby County Jail around 1 a.m. Friday.

According to the affidavit, the two were involved in a violent confrontation at Lawler’s home on St. Nick Dr. in East Memphis.

McBride claims Lawler struck her in the head and pushed her against a stove while Lawler claims McBride scratched him in the face, threw a candle at him and kicked him in the groin.

McBride also alleged that Lawler got an unloaded pistol, put it on the kitchen counter and told her to kill herself.

Lawler says McBride was intoxicated and claims McBride is the one who brought the pistol into the kitchen.

If Lawler isn't suspended from WWE by the time everyone wakes up today, there's a double standard and something is seriously wrong.  This sounds far worse than the Adam Rose situation - I wouldn't be shocked if Lawler's released outright.

2 minutes ago, (BP) said:

Can we at least agree it's not as bad as the first thing we all thought when we saw a Lawler Garbage Fire thread? 

... yeeeaaah I'll admit it.

• Like 1

That is why all of this "we will never see him again in the WWE" is not so sure.  I mean he was accused of rape and came back to the promotion.  Granted the company didn't care about sponsors feelings that much and was so obsessed with telling people how much charity they do.   

As much as I finding Corey Graves grating at times especially when around Bryon Saxton, he should have been moved to the main roster a long time ago.

Thoughts:

I know I've read the rumor that they wanted to slowly phase him out for a while.

I was going to post yesterday how cool it was that there are Lawler indy matches popping up just about every week on youtube now, including one from a Superman festival a week or two ago. I guess that's a bit moot now.

There's a joke about Heyman here, but the best I can think of is that House of Hardcore is going to suddenly go bankrupt and Tommy Dreamer will show up announcing Tuesday night but that's more horrifying than funny. 

4 minutes ago, hammerva said:

That is why all of this "we will never see him again in the WWE" is not so sure.  I mean he was accused of rape and came back to the promotion.  Granted the company didn't care about sponsors feelings that much and was so obsessed with telling people how much charity they do.   

The company is very adament now that if you are convincted of domestic assualt - you will be fired.

And as Matt said - when they are already looking for ways to phase you out...

Most likely - if he isn't fired because of a conviction they will just have his contract run out and not use him on TV anymore

At least his current girlfriend is within sight of 30.  If he manages to live another 50-60 years, he may graduate to dating middle-aged women.

In all seriousness, this is probably the end for him with the WWE, at least.  I wonder if his sporadic indy bookings will dry up after this.  Though... indy promoters willing to book a 66-year-old only a few years removed from a heart attack probably won't blink at booking him with a domestic violence conviction on his resume.  Sucks to go out that way, though I feel like anything that gets him off WWE tv is probably a step forward for the company. 

1 minute ago, DouglasC said:

Am I a bad person for thinking "Any port in a storm." when it comes to not having to hear him behind the mic for at least a long time?

Probably.....but if this could happen to Lawler, and JBL could be caught running a dog fighting ring and sent packing, WWE main roster product might almost become watchable.

*Ramsey does not endorse dog fighting. He loves dogs and owns three of them. He does however hate, hate, hate JBL and wants him to shut up forever.*

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DouglasC said:

Am I a bad person for thinking "Any port in a storm." when it comes to not having to hear him behind the mic for at least a long time?

I read 'any port in a storm' and thought you were about to talk about Lawler's GF being with a 66-year-old dude.  But he makes a decent salary and travels enough not to be in her way at least half the time.  Anywhere you can get it, I guess. :unsure:

Dixie is a pretty good judge of dumpster fires.  I have to think that she doesn't touch this with a ten foot pole for at while.  The only think working for Lawler is that both he and McBride are facing charges.  If he were facing charges alone and McBride was a total victim, she'd never offer him a job and with good reason. 

It is only slightly more palatable that they are beating the shit out of each other, but bottom line is that he's still striking a woman which is extremely uncool.

By Mike Johnson on 2016-06-17 08:32:00
As reported earlier on the site, WWE Hall of Famer and Memphis wrestling legend Jerry "The King" Lawler, 66,  was arrested this morning and subsequently suspended indefinitely by World Wrestling Entertainment following a domestic incident involving his fiancée, Lauryn.

Lawler and his fiancée were both arrested at Lawler's home this morning following an argument that became violent.  His fiancée alleges that Lawler shoved her face against a stove and placed a gun atop of it before telling her to go kill herself.

Lawler told authorities that the argument started after his fiancée had lied about where she had been.  He claimed that his fiancée was drunk, scratched him, threw a candle, knew where the gun was and threatened to kill herself. 

Lawler also stated that he was trying to prevent her from leaving as she would have been driving drunk. 

When authorities arrived, they were unable to discern who was actually the responsible party and chose to arrest both Lawler and his fiancée.    They were each charged with charges of domestic assault—bodily harm, a misdemeanor. 

According to the Shelby County Sheriff's office, both of their court dates are set for Monday morning and neither will be released before then.

GENERAL SESSIONS COURT:    DOMESTIC ASSAULT-BODILY HARM
COURT DATES:    
Date      Division      Docket Number      Session
06/20/2016 8:30AM      GS10      1611889501      1

• Like 1