DVDVR Message Board

WWE Money in the Bank 2016

The Natural

Came in late, so just caught the end of the opening tag.

Corbin-Dolph was fun. First match of theirs I saw since I've been skipping preshows and only watch NXT weekly. It's crazy how good Corbin has become. Dude has great execution on everything, big talk, and the match was so smartly laid out to show Corbin having scouted Dolph forcing Dolph to work harder/smarter for his signatures and to survive. Made everything mean more. Best Dolph match in months.

Women's tag was fine. Dana has inproved similarly to Corbin. Becky is great. Nattie and Charlotte are still super mediocre. Only reason I dig the turn is because Becky is becoming a women's version of Sting.

Apollo-Sheamus was also fine. Blandish and White Noise is dead forever as a finish but fine. Finish doesn't exactly make Crews look great, but despite so many tools and being genuinely likeable as a person, he's not great so whatever.

AJ-Cena ruled. Loved how Cena couldn't figure out AJ but AJ's hubris created openings. Kind of an inversion of the Cena epic where people try to figure him out. AJ was ready but got arrogant and paid for it. Finish was obviously garbage and honestly Cena winning would have made AJ look less shitty than that. Is what it is. 

Also, scary moment as Cena started to tuck his head on the Styles Clash but caught himself mid move.

MITB was a fun bit of chaos. Mostly well put together. The Blue Thunder Bomb on the sideways ladder was sick. Well organized chaos with the right result.

Rusev vs Titus was better than I expected. That beefy double clothesline to start ruled and while my interest wavered as it went longer, it managed to make Titus look okay as a singles dude.

Roman vs Seth...them going 26 minutes was my nightmare. I like Roman a lot but he's best at 10-15 sprints and Seth is the most obnoxious forced epic dude in the company since his ME run started in earnest. I was shocked that I didn't hate this. Roman's matches are usually well laid out and this was no exception.  Roman leaning more into power stuff is a blast and outside that awful Falcon Arrow spot Seth didn't do anything to offend me. I still think 15-20 would have been a better match but this was fine.

And then Dean cashed in. I like Dean a lot but I'll admit he got lazy and awful for a good while there. That said, he seems to be trying again since the fall and he's stayed tremendously over so this is well deserved.  Also Seth beating Roman clean only to be cheesed by Dean using MitB is pretty perfect booking based on the history so that's awesome.

All three members of The Shield have been World Champions.

All three members of The Shield held the WWE Title on the same night.

Pretty cool.

• Like 3

Meltzer confirmed that Del Rio was legit injured on that ugly fall off the ladder near the end of MITB

Doesn't know the severity (it could be Del Rio was just shaken up)

Top three matches delivered and then some. MOTN and a WWE MOTYC was AJ Styles vs. John Cena. I really liked how AJ Styles controlled the majority of the match and had counters for Cena’s moves when it was time in the match. Real shame about the ref bump and interference by Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows for AJ's win. Shouldn't take away from the work by Styles and Cena.

The Money in the Bank Contract Ladder Match was one of the best one in the history of the match. Wince inducing moments such as Cesaro's swing throwing Jericho on a ladder propped up in the corner, Sami Zayn's Michinoku Driver on Kevin Owens into the edge of the ladder and Owens' getting revenge on Sami by powerbomb across one of the bridge ladders. Dean Ambrose won the match.

The main event between Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship was better than I expected it to be. Add this to Reigns' best singles list with Daniel Bryan at Fastlane 2015, Brock Lesnar at WrestleMania XXX before turned into a Triple Threat and AJ Styles at Payback 2015 and Extreme Rules 2015.

I was very surprised Seth Rollins' beat Roman Reigns clean though it should have ended on the Spear counter into the midair Pedigree. Seth Rollins regained the WWE World Heavyweight Championship he never lost...only for Dean Ambrose to cash in and become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. I thought Dean would miss out on a world title reign compared to the booking of Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins.

Trivia time:

All three members of the Shield have won a legitimate world title. That doesn't happen often in a stable/faction.

I believe this is the first PPV since SummerSlam 2007 to have two wrestlers having their first match back on PPV after injury. At SummerSlam 2007: Rey Mysterio and Triple H. Here: John Cena and Seth Rollins.

Be careful what you wish for.   I always hoped that Ambrose would get a title run, and now he gets one not too far removed from the most mail it in time of his career.  Hopefully he makes something of this push.

• Like 1

I know everybody didn't fall asleep on the shots that New Day fired across The Elite's bow.  Poor Gallows having to wait for Big Cass to show up.  He probably should have pretended he was asleep.  Corbin/Ziggler was way better than I was expecting.  That beatdown by Nattie was the most convincing bit of offense I've ever seen by her.  Everybody already talked plenty about everything else.

• Like 1

Oh my god. Rusev getting on the mic post-match was one of the top 5 funniest things to happen in WWE this year.

Also, has there been any word on if AJ was legit injured last night? Mid to late match, AJ takes that huge back body drop and lands on his lower back/upper part of his tailbone. It was a super awkward landing and from that point on, AJ looked like he lost a step. Then later, he nearly kills himself on the top rope, to the point Cena is audibly asking if he's ok.

Hopefully AJ is fine.

Oh, and the other injury concern I have is for KO taking that Michinoku Driver on the SIDE of the ladder. Holy shit. WHY? It's bad enough to take a bump on the face of the ladder, but on the side/edge of the ladder?

• Like 1

So much botch.  Everything that I expected to deliver did.

A couple of rules should be set from this show, going forward:

Natalya needs to never play face-in-peril again.  What the fuck, was she crawling under barbed wire for that hot tag?

Re: Corbin/Ziggler - Announcers should not call a win over Ziggler the thing that puts Corbin up another level, after Corbin has already beaten him twice now.  Also, Ziggler owes Corbin a "thank you" card, because on that slam on the outside, where Corbin caught Ziggler off the steps, Ziggler slipped on his lift-off and almost ate shit.

Re: Golden Truth/Breezdongo (or whatever it's called) - Matches should never be won via melanoma as a finisher.  That was some ghastly make-up work; it was like someone superglued cold cuts on Breeze and Fandango for that match.

• Like 1

In regards to Craig's injury concerns - Meltzer said the only one was the aforementioned Del Rio one.

Everything else seemd to be of the normal bumps and bruise variety

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer confirmed that Del Rio was legit injured on that ugly fall off the ladder near the end of MITB

Doesn't know the severity (it could be Del Rio was just shaken up)

That fall looked awful.  I was thinking broken leg for a few seconds there.

There were some nasty bumps last night--ADR's leg, AJ's tailbone, KO and Zayn driving each other into ladders, Reigns' bull rush into the barricade.  All of those looked extra hurty.

Could we keep Sami and KO away from ladders for awhile? Each time they've been in a match with a ladder, Sami damn near kills KO. First the half-nelson suplex onto the ladder at Wrestlemania, and then the Michinoku Driver onto the edge of the ladder last night.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Could we keep Sami and KO away from ladders for awhile? Each time they've been in a match with a ladder, Sami damn near kills KO. First the half-nelson suplex onto the ladder at Wrestlemania, and then the Michinoku Driver onto the edge of the ladder last night.

Part of that is the Owens sell. Owens makes it look like he's broken in half. 

• Like 1