DVDVR Message Board

All Japan Pro Wrestling "ROYAL ROAD TOURNAMENT 2013"

Kevin Wilson

I've always been a sucker for tournaments, here are the current results.  Tournament runs from 9/11 to 9/23 (I am assuming):

September 11th

Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Low Ki defeated Dark Cuervo (8:27) with the Ghetto Stomp
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Joe Doering defeated SUSHI (3:47) with the Revolution Bomb
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Go Shiozaki defeated Kotaro Suzuki (18:36) with a Moonsault Press
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Akebono defeated Jun Akiyama (11:45) with a Jumping Piledriver

September 14th

Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Bambi Killer defeated KENSO (13:24) with the Bambi Death Shot
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Yoshinobu Kanemaru defeated D-Lo Brown (7:26) with a Jumping Cross Armbreaker
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Takao Omori defeated Atsushi Aoki (9:59) with an Axe Bomber
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 1: Suwama defeated Kento Miyahara (19:45) with a Last Ride

Second Round Matches

Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 2: Go Shiozaki defeated Yoshinobu Kanemaru (14:32) with the Go Flasher
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 2: Joe Doering defeated Suwama (12:18) with the Revolution Bomb
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 2: Akebono defeated Low Ki (7:03) with an Avalanche Hold
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Round 2: Bambikiller defeated Takao Omori (13:12) with a Swinging Neckbreaker

Semi Final Matches

Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Semi-Finals: Akebono defeated Bambi Killer (6:13) with the Yokozuna Impact (Jumping Piledriver)
Royal Road Tournament ~ Open Championship - Semi-Finals: Go Shiozaki defeated Joe Doering (15:03) with the Go Flasher

Finals on September 23rd

Akebono defeated Go Shiozaki (17:40) with the Yokozuna Impact

Only 720 claimed for the final show, all the shows got really poor attendance.  Guess ol Akebono gets a title shot next.

This really looks like it could be setting up Joe Doering to challenge next.  Akebono or Omori wouldn't surprise me, though.  

Go could take it too, if they just want to go the safe but reliable route of keeping the two aces a step above everyone else, which is their main story going forward at this point anyway.  

I'm liking this tournament mainly because there's some new names in there. No clue who's winning it but I'm intrigued, and that's something I haven't said about All Japan in a few months.

I thought they did have brackets because people were intruiged by a possible Low-Ki vs Akiyama 2nd round match...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Apparently Akebono just signed with AJP, so maybe he'll get it. Otherwise, most likely candidate is Doering. Considering Omori just lost to Akiyama, in a match that I was sure was meant to set Omori up as the next contender, it's possible that he'll win this as a way to set him up against Suwama without putting him ahead of Akiyama in the ultimate pecking order.

In other words, I dunno.

I could see either D-Lo or Bambikiller upsetting Suwama in the semis to keep him out of the finals. It's too soon for a repeat of the Suwama/Go booking (challenger beats the champ in a big non-title singles match, sets up the rematch a month later with the belt on the line).If Suwama loses to one of the Gaijin in the semis it would look like a fluke rather than a big loss that he needs to avenge. The Gaijin then losing to someone else in the finals (Doering or Akebono seem most likely) would cement the tournament winner as a worthy challenger,Given their thin roster, the less frequently they repeat singles pairings the better. I say keep the champ out of the finals.EDIT: just noticed that updated bracket and realized my suggestions/predictions aren't workable. whoops. my logic still stands though; just have Doering knock Suwama out of the tournament in round 2. 

I think since D'Lo at this point is just a part time wrestler, he was just brought in to job out as a name that some All Japan fans may remember from years ago.

First post updated again, that Akebono/Doering final looking more and more likely.  I'd still pick Doering to win that match if it does happen, though.

I think since D'Lo at this point is just a part time wrestler, he was just brought in to job out as a name that some All Japan fans may remember from years ago.

First post updated again, that Akebono/Doering final looking more and more likely.  I'd still pick Doering to win that match if it does happen, though.

Completely in agreement on how they're using D'Lo.  As long as he's still in shape, D'Lo is a guy who I can never really argue against bringing in.  I would imagine he's one of the most well-regarded gaijin wrestlers in Japan from the last 10 years, totally reliable to do what needs to be done.  Not terribly interested to watch him, but I get it.    

I can see Doering beating Go and then Akebono.  Mainly because they are both guys he's struggled against.  In fact, I'm pretty sure he has yet to defeat either one of them.  (feel free to correct me on that...)

Honestly, given his name value, I think Akebono can always throw down a TC challenge at any time and have it be accepted.  Joe needs something a little extra to cement his credibility.  This may in fact be it.  

He's beaten Akebono a couple times in tags, with a really awesome looking Death Valley Bomb, no less. He's taken down Hama with the DVB a couple times too, so maybe we'll see him bust it out in the final (assuming that is the final, and assuming he didn't screw up his back by now from lifting 500 pound guys up onto his shoulders).Bambi Killer advanced today over Omori. Any idea if he's going to be brought in full time? I've only seen him a couple times in tags, how is he in singles? Couldn't hurt to have another big Gaijin on the roster to feud/team with Doering.