DVDVR Message Board

Best pro sports games you've attended

S.K.o.S.

I haven't been that lucky with great pro games.  I would have had ticket to Cal Ripken game before he broke Lou Gehrig's streak but rain delays and timing caused me to miss by about 5 games. 

The best pro game so far was Stephen Strasburg's debut against the Pirates where he had 17K.  Always trying to catch the Nats vs Pirates game and got really lucky for one that meant anything. 

• 4 weeks later...

Since you just said "pro" and not "major league", I'll go with 2 from the Spokane Indians.  Forgive me if I leave out details like dates and opponents:

1) The "Hit a Grand Slam, Win a Truck" game - If a Spokane player hits a grand slam in the first 9 innings, somebody wins a $40,000 pickup.  The Indians trail the entire game but claw back to tie in the bottom fo the 9th.  They load the bases with 2 outs and Ruben Sierra Jr comes up.  Sierra works the count to 3-2, meaning we're down to the very last pitch (essentially) that somebody can win the truck on.  Sierra gets a fastball, hits a bomb to left field - off the sign promoting the dealer providing the pickup - for a walkoff grand slam.  Avista Stadium goes NUTS.  Man, was that awesome.

2) The "Tabe meets the Great One" game - Before the game, I'm informed that WAYNE FREAKING GRETZKY is in the house!  I manage to get an awesome photo with Gretzky (that now hangs in my office) and he is super-nice.  The Indians trail the entire game, entering the bottom of the 9th down 7-3.  5 runs in the bottom of the 9th and we've got an 8-7 win.  And I met WAYNE FREAKING GRETZKY.

Randy Johnson's perfecto in Atlanta.

Tom Glavine shutting out the Indians in game 6 of the '95 series.

The Hawks' last stand in Atlanta vs. the Celtics. (08?09?) Game 6 of the first round.

We were at a Detroit Tigers game in the early 90's against the A's.  I think it was 92 or 93, but I don't know for certain.  The Tigers sucked back then and went into the bottom of the ninth down 2 runs.  Tony Phillips nailed a 3 run shot to win the game and the sparse crowd still in Tiger Stadium went nuts.  People were literally cheering like the Tigers had just won the World Series.  A heavyset black woman came running through the aisles giving everyone high fives.  She gave me a high five and it was awesome.  I still remember the look of pure joy on that woman's face, and that game stands out to me as my first experience of the happiness sports can inspire in people.

We were at a Detroit Tigers game in the early 90's against the A's.  I think it was 92 or 93, but I don't know for certain.  The Tigers sucked back then and went into the bottom of the ninth down 2 runs.  Tony Phillips nailed a 3 run shot to win the game and the sparse crowd still in Tiger Stadium went nuts.  People were literally cheering like the Tigers had just won the World Series.  A heavyset black woman came running through the aisles giving everyone high fives.  She gave me a high five and it was awesome.  I still remember the look of pure joy on that woman's face, and that game stands out to me as my first experience of the happiness sports can inspire in people.

I love Baseball-Ref, cuz I can do shit like this.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/DET/DET199407100.shtml

• Like 1