DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 89: MacDonald vs. Thompson (6/18/2016) - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (TD Place Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Bosse looks like he should be a killer in the cage. If only his technique matched his cardio, strength, look, etc..

He must be great against heavy bags though just not so much when guys are punching back against him. Still, from what I'd seen of Bosse before even going back to his TKO days, I did not think he would have had it in him to come back from that first round flurry. Good on him.

17 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Bosse looks like he should be a killer in the cage. If only his technique matched his cardio, strength, look, etc..

He must be great against heavy bags though just not so much when guys are punching back against him. Still, from what I'd seen of Bosse before even going back to his TKO days, I did not think he would have had it in him to come back from that first round flurry. Good on him.

Crazy how Bosse could have retired as just a weird Canadian regional MMA scene footnote. Now, he has two UFC wins.

Rory is gonna regret how he fought after the first round. He spent too much of his time trying to find Thompson and waiting to counter. Once Thompson figured out he could land 4 for every 1 strike MacDonald landed, that's when Wonderboy took over.

Rory MacDonald's game plan was terrible and his cornering from Firas Zahabi sounded equally terrible.  Either way, I want to see Stephen Thompson fight for the welterweight title next.  He's earned it at this point.  He should not accept any other fight except a title fight.  

Is MacDonald off to Bellator now?  I guess we'll see.  A lot of people hyped up Rory as the next GSP.  However, time and time again he's consistently looked gun shy and never quite rising to the occasion. IMHO, he never quite showed the ceiling and ability that GSP did in his prime.  Here he wouldn't engage until really the last round.  And still, one judge gave two rounds to him.

Donald Cerrone looks great at welterweight.  I think there is something to be said for fighters not killing themselves to make weight right before they get into a cage with someone.  Then again, Cerrone typically looks great in these types of contests and then chokes in the big ones.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Is MacDonald off to Bellator now?

I don't see Bellator really offering MacDonald any sort of money. If Rory was someone of the stature of like Nick Diaz or Cowboy Cerrone, they would try their best to sign him ASAP. MacDonald being a top 5 welterweight isn't enough IMO to really sway them to make a move for him. I think it would take a big lowball from the UFC for Bellator land him.

As I mentioned before, I think for free agency to be really intriguing, Bellator has to change their philosophy entirely. I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Great night of fights. Calderwood looked amazing with a killer performance. Glad to see Randa Markos get a win as well, two of my favorites. Bosse/O'Connell was awesome, couldn't believe Bosse recovered but that ruled. Hell of a KO from Jotko, Cerrone looked good, and a fun battle to watch in the main event. Thompson/Lawler if that ends up happening should be wild.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm not sure how the show is formatted outside of North America, but the Fight Pass stuff was on time because they didn't take breaks between fights. However, the TV prelim fights and the main card are slated for the half hour mark and not the top of the hour. So it's possible that the folks in the UK and elsewhere are still watching whatever contests are happening at the top of the hour. That would explain why that fight bled over.

Yeah, on BT Sport they started on the hour, so we got to see Theodorou vs Alvey in full. Not much happened in it though. It was one of those things where Firas Zahabi had totally figured out Alvey's style and given Theodorou the gameplan to never place himself in danger, which he followed to the letter. And Alvey spent the entire fight waiting for an opportunity that never came, so not much happened.

• Like 1