DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, RIZIN, Fight Pass, and AXS TV Thread (Fedor/Fabby Brawlgame Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Chael was always a decent offensive grappler, but his defense was always questionable as well.

Chael's defensive grappling is legitimately terrible.  He's lost 15 times, 9 by submission.  His offensive wrestling is good (his defensive wrestling is pretty bad too.  Tito seemed surprised he got him down so easily with that single leg.), but if he's anywhere but on top he is at a disadvantage against any decent grappler.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

Chael's defensive grappling is legitimately terrible.  He's lost 15 times, 9 by submission.  His offensive wrestling is good (his defensive wrestling is pretty bad too.  Tito seemed surprised he got him down so easily with that single leg.), but if he's anywhere but on top he is at a disadvantage against any decent grappler.

American folkstyle wrestling's biggest L in MMA has to be when Maia lateral dropped Sonnen. I don't think anyone can top that.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

American folkstyle wrestling's biggest L in MMA has to be when Maia lateral dropped Sonnen. I don't think anyone can top that.

That may be my favorite submission ever.  He hit that lateral drop and transitioned into a mounted triangle like he was giving a demonstration against a training dummy.

• Like 3

RIZIN's upcoming show is scheduled to take place on April 16 at the Yokohama Arena. The show is being called RIZIN 2017 in YOKOHAMA until now. No fights announced yet, but several fighters participation has already been announced for the card; Kanako Murata, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Tenshin Nasukawa, Satoru Kitaoka, Hideo Tokoro, Miyuu Yamamoto, Erson Yamamoto, Kizaemon Saiga and RENA.

This is a much smaller card than their Saitama Super Arena end of the year events and it seems like the main focus is showcasing their homegrown talent.

We could see Nasukawa fight under kickboxing rules as he said he wanted to showcase his skills to the RIZIN fans in a kickboxing match.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, WholeFnMachine said:

Mackenzie Dern missed weight again, she's such a phenomenal talent, but she really needs to either get a nutritionist or change weight classes. 

Maybe it's like a Cejudo thing where she only feels like making weight when she goes to the UFC. However, for right now, she needs to be fighting at 125. This is her third MMA fight, and she has had purse deductions for two of them. Just go to flyweight for 2-3 fights, and then work your way down to where you can make 115 without killing yourself.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Speaking of prospects, Paddy Pimblett lost his Cage Warriors FW title today and it's not totally unexpected. He probably should've lost to Julian Erosa, who was a decent fighter from the McGregor/Faber TUF season. He is a pretty big draw but he definitely isn't ready for the UFC featherweight division. He is only 22 IIRC so they can wait to see to how he develops over the next 2-3 years. If they decide to take a flyer and get him for a UK card in the next year, it's got to be against a really lower level 145er and they have to bring him along slow.

• Like 1

Pursuant to earlier discussion about how to bring someone along without artificially inflating their record by having them beat up cans, they seem to be doing the right things with Mountinho, this was his first pro fight against a real threat and he acquitted himself very well. The previous three fights were against nobodies that really shouldn't have turned pro. However, when you look at his amateur record, he's fought some very good competition, a couple more journeymen under his belt and then it will be time for bigger things...

I recommend everyone track down Calie Cutler vs. Alexa Conners from tonight's LFA card. Probably one of the best one sided fights you'll ever see. Also, I would expect Conners to get a big league callup pretty soon based on her fighting style.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, King Reina is the best. Laconic, languid badass with blow pop, teddy bear, crown and robe. Clearly gives no fucks about weight cutting (missed weight in her debut fight) and could probably be a strawweight or certainly a bantamweight but instead fights at 160 lbs against JAZZY who's almost a foot taller. It looked like she was about to fall asleep on top of Jazzy at one point. Shinobu Kandori, Yumiko Hotta, and Yoshiko were ringside. Was that one of the Matsunaga brothers sitting beside them and in the hype video? Anyway, she screams superstar with her attitude in and out of the ring. I so want one of her shirts with the mugshot of the teddy bear.

RIZIN brings the zaniness and I love it. Rena looked really good too in her fight too. I'll watch the rest of the show tomorrow but I'll leave you with this:

23gzeiq.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched Bellator from London. It was very predictable. Cheikh Kongo is a really boring fighter now. McGeary vs Vassell had more action in the first 60 seconds than Kongo's whole fight. Nice to see it in HD though (Spike UK is just old rubbish definition, but because this was a live special rather than an 8 day tape delay it was on proper Channel 5). Kevin Ferguson Jr looks like he's on the CM Punk level just now, but he's only 25 so he has time to improve. And he has natural power like Punk doesn't seem to.

• Like 1

There was a thunderstorm here in Northwest Arkansas, and my power went as Kongo vs. Sakai was finishing up. The fight was so bad that I took that as an omen and took a nap before my power came back on. I saw a clip of Rory choking out Daley and that's all I needed to see.

• Like 1

I see there are few important flyweight fights on the Invicta show. Andrea Lee said she isn't doing TUF, but are any of the women in the main and co-main going to be on the cast for the next TUF season?

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I see there are few important flyweight fights on the Invicta show. Andrea Lee said she isn't doing TUF, but are any of the women in the main and co-main going to be on the cast for the next TUF season?

I know Agnieszka said she wants to get to UFC on her wins and not through a reality show so she wasn't interested.

1 hour ago, DreamBroken said:

I know Agnieszka said she wants to get to UFC on her wins and not through a reality show so she wasn't interested.

She probably would be odds on favor to win depending on who else was in the cast.  That's the clearest path to the title. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

There was a thunderstorm here in Northwest Arkansas, and my power went as Kongo vs. Sakai was finishing up. The fight was so bad that I took that as an omen and took a nap before my power came back on. I saw a clip of Rory choking out Daley and that's all I needed to see.

Yeah Rory dusted Daley. After the fight Daley called out MVP then tried to find him in the crowd and jump him.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Reyes and Maikel Perez (a Cuban Olympic wrestler who trains at Kings MMA who won earlier) can compete on the next level. They may be ones to keep an eye on.

BTW This is Michael Schiavello's final card with AXS TV. He is moving back to Australia.

• 3 weeks later...

Weeden vs Else from CageWarriors 85 was one of those mad brawls where one guy ends up looking like Frankenstein's Monster, and the other gets knocked out.

The first ever PFL show is happening during a rain delay during a race at Daytona.

Yup, pretty sure this was the same conditions of one of the first ever King of the Cage shows.

• Like 2