DVDVR Message Board

Bellator, WSOF, RIZIN, Fight Pass, and AXS TV Thread (Fedor/Fabby Brawlgame Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

That was ridiculous. Now we know why they were matching her up with a 53 year old pro wrestler. I guess what else can you do with a 200+ lb WMMA fighter but go full carny?

I wish they had mixed in some kickboxing fights. Wasting Saiga and Tenshin in mma fights against nobodies seems like such a waste.

19 minutes ago, Setsuna said:

Did not see that coming. Where does Kron go from here? Stay in Rizin for another year or two fighting and then jump to the UFC? I can't imagine him doing that well in UFC at this point but a win over Kawajiri is still impressive.

How much is he making in Rizin? There is still novelty in having a Gracie in Japan, especially one who is half decent. I'm not sure there is in the UFC after so many pretenders to the throne through the years. He (or she) would have to be a legitimate top prospect. Maybe Kron is or maybe not.

Crocop beat the Iranian wrestler guy in one round to win the OWGP.

That was the same train of thought I had. Probably good money to be made in Japan beating aging Japanese stars and prospects but he kind of just peaked in that regard right now. Plus, you never know how many fights/shows there are left in Rizin at any moment, He's definitely still too green for the UFC and too well-paid for any minor league orgs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Gaethje and Firmino had a brutal slugfest to end the WSOF show that got stopped by the doctor in favor of Gaethje. I actually had Buscape up 2-1 before the stoppage.

Was there thanks to a last minute $20 ticket on StubHub. Place was pretty full but a lot of it was paper. Biggest story was John Fitch pretty much announcing his retirement after a dull victory over Jake Shields. Main event basically made the show a thumbs up as it was close to MOTY worthy. The people booing when it was stopped is the type of thing that causes me to lose my faith in humanity. The guys face looked like he was in a goddamned car wreck, stopping it was 100% the right call. Totally agree with your scoring of the main event, I would welcome a rematch.

• Like 1

I wonder if Gaethje will pursue free agency since that was the left fight on his deal. WSOF could end losing three champs (although I think Moraes probably re-signs) as Moraes and Gaethje reach the end of their deals and Fitch is likely retiring. If I am Gaethje's manager, I'm trying to get him into the UFC before he can no longer fight at this level anymore. He has already taken inhumane levels of punishment.

Cro Cop vs huge fat guy was incredible. Guy smothers CC like he's the Blob and CC knees him in the ribs and he goes back and crumples like King Hippo. I thought it was even better than the 50 year old wrestler running the ropes before getting killed.

6 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I wonder if Gaethje will pursue free agency since that was the left fight on his deal. WSOF could end losing three champs (although I think Moraes probably re-signs) as Moraes and Gaethje reach the end of their deals and Fitch is likely retiring. If I am Gaethje's manager, I'm trying to get him into the UFC before he can no longer fight at this level anymore. He has already taken inhumane levels of punishment.

i thought Moraes had already resigned. it had been reported that his last fight (in July i think) was the last on his WSOF contract.

i just looked it up. he re-signed in October for a lengthy period. no fight/time limit was given but his (Moraes') quote was " It’s something like lifetime ".   guess i won't get to see him vs. Barao any time soon.

Just watched Gaethje/Firmino... Even for Justin Gaethje, that defensive effort was ridiculous. Arturo Gatti was brought up earlier, this was more like Rocky blocking (with the face). He just stood there, head down and took shot after shot to get off a winging counter hook. He was gassed too, though that's almost surely down to taking all that damage. Looking at the insane depth at UFC's lightweight division, I'm not even sure Gaethje could beat a lot of the guys in the 40-50 rankings (Hein, Makhachev, Gilbert Burns). He's just too sloppy and reckless. Love watching him fight but gotdamn, move your feet and head!  

Can't believe Firmino is only 34. Those Bushido/Dream fights seem like forever ago. 

Edit: disappointing about Moraes not signing with UFC. Guy is really good from the bits I've seen. Why would he want to stay as the big fish in the small pond?

I think Gaethje can win just based on toughness and outlasting people but I'm not sure how long that can last. You take a beating from the wrong guy, and you're basically a shot fighter when you're suppose to be in your fighting prime.

As for Moraes, I saw folks report that he only signed a one fight deal but looking at an interview he did with Guilherme Cruz he signed a "different" multi-fight deal. Not sure what that means or if something got lost in translation when he was talking to other people.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:21 AM, Setsuna said:

That was ridiculous. Now we know why they were matching her up with a 53 year old pro wrestler. I guess what else can you do with a 200+ lb WMMA fighter but go full carny?

That was when the ratings peaked... Japanese MMA is structured differently.

On 12/31/2016 at 3:21 AM, Setsuna said:

I wish they had mixed in some kickboxing fights. Wasting Saiga and Tenshin in mma fights against nobodies seems like such a waste.

Saiga and Tenshin are the ones asking for MMA fights. They're the ones wanting to get their feet wet in MMA; it's not RIZIN forcing them to fight under MMA rules. Also Tenshin wasn't scheduled to fight on NYE, only on the previous event, however he was the one who requested fighting on NYE.

Saiga had 2 previous fights in Pancrase which he had won and then he lost to Tokoro and Erson before he won on NYE.

Tenshin also said he would like his next RIZIN fight to be under kickboxing rules so he can display his kickboxing skills to the RIZIN fans.

re : the ridiculousness - I know it's weird in that way and probably why people hoping for a legitimate successor to Pride need to give it up. I went to Pride NYE in 2005 and everyone I met only watched to talk about Yoshida-Ogawa. When I started to talk about Silva-Arona or Gomi-Sakurai it was all, yea, yea, but Ogawa!  I got into a conversation with the old guy that ran the hostel I was staying at and why I was there, etc...  Turns out he was planning to watch the K-1 NYE show. Can't remember what the draw was there but I'm guessing it was Akebono against either Royce or Sapp. 

Appreciate the insights on Saiga and Tenshin. It was only a few weeks before the show that I got to see the Knockout fight from Tenshin and hot damn, I love Japanese kickboxing. It just sucks that shows like that, Krush and the new Japanese K-1 org kind of fly under the radar while Rizin gets tons of attention.

I mean its not just Japanese fans, look what Punk's draw was for UFC, or Shamrock/Royce/Kimbo's draw was for Bellator. The casual fans in most countries enjoy freakshow fights, even if the hardcores don't like it. UFC could book Cena vs. Werdum and it would get a million buys.

It is just easier to do in Japan since their regulations aren't as strict.

34 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

UFC could book Cena vs. Werdum and it would get a million buys.

I don't think the novelty of John Cena alone would allow the UFC to do 1 million buys. I think the fact that people see Lesnar as a legit, credible fighter in addition to being a wrestling superstar allowed him to be a draw in the UFC. Does some freakshow fight with a top WWE wrestler not named Lesnar do 2 or 3 million viewers plus on Fox? Certainly. Getting people to pay for it is a different story.